Do you get told you don't need to lose weight?

Options
Colorscheme
Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
edited July 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Background: I have high blood pressure and heart problems due to a rare condition I acquired in my early 20s. I have to take b/p pills [ACE inhibitor] and the max dose of beta blockers. And I have a leaky valve, but it's not serious yet. I also have an ICM implanted in my chest to watch for arrythmias. So because of all this, I see a cardiologist every 3 months just to keep an eye on things

Anyways, I told one of my friends I wanted to lose weight because at my last cardio appt a week ago, my weight was 164 lbs which is a couple of pounds overweight according to bmi. My friend, quiet frankly, is one of those body positive, HAES kind of person and she's obese at the age of 18.

I just said to her that I have heart and bp problems so I think losing weight will help a bit because I'll be putting my body under less strain and maybe it'll help my blood pressure and fatigue. [I already eat a low sodium diet]

And I get it because if you looked at me, you would just think I'm a little busty and didn't need to lose weight, but I have quite a lot of body fat and would like to get down to my pre preg weight of 125 lbs.

So I'm curious....have you been told by others you don't need to lose weight? how did you handle it?

Replies

• Colorscheme
    Options
    I don't get told that because I never bring up my weight or diet with people, so basically not asking for opinions. Someone would have to outright say it on their own, and anyone who knows me wouldn't think to be so blunt as to say something that personal.

You know what's best for you, and i'm sure your doctor would support your decision.

Yeah, normally I don't talk about anything diet or exercise related to people, but both her and I are really into fashion/clothing/sewing and I told her that I bought a skirt but it doesn't fit over my thighs and that I hope to fit into it once I lose some weight.
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    @carmkizzle Haha, if someone said "are you losing weight, you weren't fat" I'd just smile and say thanks :) Which is probably what you did.

@Colorscheme, now you have the perfect goal garment to try on every week! Aside from that, knowing myself and how my preference is very lean, I've just learned never to bring anything weight or size related up.
  • Colorscheme
    Options
    @carmkizzle Haha, if someone said "are you losing weight, you weren't fat" I'd just smile and say thanks :) Which is probably what you did.

@Colorscheme, now you have the perfect goal garment to try on every week! Aside from that, knowing myself and how my preference is very lean, I've just learned never to bring anything weight or size related up.

Yeah, I'm using it as motivation! Plus I have a small frame [my wrist is less than 6 inches around] and look best when I look lean. I know my friend wasn't trying to be hurtful and I agree with her that everyone should be confident no matter the size.
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options

That's exactly what I say :o

• abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    All the time! It's more motivation for me to get to my goal so I can think the same thing :)
  • abitofbliss
    Options

And keep in mind that getting healthier is awesome but not everyone is going to celebrate it with you.

This is awesome. I posted a similar thread about negative comments and this is definitely a good way to think about it. Thanks!
  • abitofbliss
    Options
    If people say that to me, I just say "You haven't seen me naked" and either make it awkward enough for them to shut up, or funny enough that we move on

HAHAHAA! I say the same thing.
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    @Colorscheme Just out of curiosity, but why didn't you just tell her according to your bmi, you're over weight and want to be healthy? The reason I ask is because you said she is obese, and maybe she doesn't understand bmi and how it can and does affect health, which applies to everyone. Now that's body positive. However, your condition doesn't, so the idea will be discarded. Just a thought that occurred to me for some reason.
  • abitofbliss
    Options

HAHAHAA! I say the same thing.

Sometimes though, they have... and they say so. So I say "well not today!" And I move on.

I'm not doing this for anyone else. I'm doing it for ME.

Haha - Heard that, the worst: "You haven't seen me naked" - "You're right, show me". Middle fingers up!
  • AmberBlamberMamber
    AmberBlamberMamber Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Haha - Heard that, the worst: "You haven't seen me naked" - "You're right, show me". Middle fingers up!

Ah yes. The ever so classy "show me" hahaha
  • AmberBlamberMamber
    AmberBlamberMamber Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I would take someone upnon that. Not get completely butt naked, but whip out the spare tire and the back boobs, maybe a little thigh action like "you sure I couldn't stand to lose a few more?"

Hahaha, "whip out" omg.

• kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I get this, or I get told I hide it well, or .......but youv got the height to carry it. Im basically still 2 stone overweight maybe 3 if I believed what bmi tells me I should be. I think my weights deceiving to others because im tall and the fat is evenly distributed rather than having obvious problem areas......All I know is im nowhere near what weight I want to be so ill keep going till I feel comfortable with my weight.