He honked at me and I instantly fell in love...

Options
... Said no woman ever.

Seriously though, what is it that compels men to honk at women as they are jogging?

It's not encouraging (although it does help me run faster just to get off the road and back to the safety of my apartment) and it's distracting. If you're honking at me, it better be because my life is in danger because of something you can see that I can't, not because you've decided my puffy, red face and sweat-stained shirt are somehow a turn on.

Ladies, how do you deal with this during your exercise?

(For the record, I usually wear capri-length leggings and a t-shirt when I run, so I am fully covered.)

Replies

• ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I've had people yell things at me while I'm out. I usually just roll my eyes and carry on with what I'm doing.

If they just keep on going they were probably just being immature and aren't actually dangerous so you should keep doing what you're doing.
  • AmberBlamberMamber
    AmberBlamberMamber Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I take it as a compliment. Even if it's annoying. Cat calling always is, and that's a form of cat calling. But it's still nice like "hey, your hard work is paying off"
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny and I laugh. I had some worker person hanging out of his van window once and I laughed. The other day a contractor was staring as I ran by....I laughed. I just think it's funny.
  • aceofswords
    aceofswords Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 Yeah I definitely agree that sometimes it can come from a positive place. Like once a car slowed down beside me and it was a neighbour telling me that he'd seen me jogging every day and to keep up the hard work. Which I appreciated! But another time it was a guy asking for my number... I'm exercising dude, this isn't the time!
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    really loud music... I just drown it all out.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I walked from my office to Rite Aid across the street to drop off some eveleopes- I started my timer because they have been cracking down on us at work about "time arrived- time taken on breaks and time left"-
    From my desk to half way outside- was 3 minutes.

In that time I had not one but TWO People hollar at me out of their cars while I was walking.

Seriously. Why. it's annoying. And stupid.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    So annoying! I just try my best to move on but sometimes it can startle me if I was really 'in the zone' and if someone made a sexual comment.

I just move faster to get away from them or divert my route if they seem to be going the same way as me.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I go early, before sunrise, only very serious people seem to be up at that time, LOL. This only happens to me when walking the dog in the afternoons.

And yes, I have to wonder sometimes why guys do stuff that has 0% chance of working, and that makes them seem so much less attractive, if their goal is to meet women? It's not even that I don't like guys honking, I would not go out with a guy who did that to others, either. It reflects on him badly.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    The bird is the word.

If it's someone who knows me, I'll apologize for flipping them off.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Whaaaat? Usually all it takes is a honk... Sometimes just a hard stare.

Then again I drive a pretty hot windowless white van so maybe that's it.

you have candy in that white van is the real question.

Candy- or bacon.

Candy lures the wrong clientele...I'm not about that life

bacon then. well- #allaboutdatlife
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    It's rude and annoying, I ignore it...but sometimes that is hard, particularly if they pull up and try to talk to you...creepy as frack...
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I don't get honked at often, but I do get the occasional comment yelled out towards me. And I take it as a compliment, always have. It's usually out in public where I don't feel threatened, and even then I often times have pepperspray (though I didn't get it for that reason, I got it when I started my job downtown where there are a lot of, what security calls, "transients"). It makes me feel good that other people notice the hard work I put in to myself. I know that other people do notice at other times and are gentlemanly enough not to say anything, but it's nice to just have that affirmation every now and then, especially as I get older. That being said, you're right in the meaning of your OP. It's not an attractive quality in the person making the cat calls, and I never have, nor ever would date anyone that would participate in that.