He honked at me and I instantly fell in love...

Options

Replies

• smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I've never been honked at but I have had men full on oggle my chest as I run past. Like not even pretending their eyes were just glancing in that direction, but full on locked on to the magnetic powers of my sports bra. I much prefer running in winter when I can wear a big baggy hoodie.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    LPflaum wrote: »
    really loud music... I just drown it all out.

This is me. I am so into my own world of music I don't hear anything.

• VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I ignore it. It has never made me feel threatened; it just makes me roll my eyes.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    I think it's funny and I laugh. I had some worker person hanging out of his van window once and I laughed. The other day a contractor was staring as I ran by....I laughed. I just think it's funny.

Three guys were fixing a sidewalk this morning when I ran past them. They all stopped and watched me. Nobody whistled. People like to watch people I guess.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    How do I deal with it? I wave and keep on keeping on.

Don't currrr!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    I hate this so much. I would be perfectly happy if I could be invisible while I'm in public, I'm pretty sure. I don't really understand why some perceive it as a compliment - to me it just feels aggressive, especially as I know there's no way these people are expressing sincere appreciation for my sweaty, red, huffing form. I do not look the slightest bit attractive when I run so I can only conclude that it comes from a place of wanting to startle me.

The best way to do this is to say "On your left" as you approach someone from behind. I don't say anything half the time but when I do (because people are wobbling all over the place) it typically makes them jump out of their skin. I don't make that much noise running and a sudden announcement is frightening I guess. It's a source of amusement for me.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    I hate this so much. I would be perfectly happy if I could be invisible while I'm in public, I'm pretty sure. I don't really understand why some perceive it as a compliment - to me it just feels aggressive, especially as I know there's no way these people are expressing sincere appreciation for my sweaty, red, huffing form. I do not look the slightest bit attractive when I run so I can only conclude that it comes from a place of wanting to startle me.

The best way to do this is to say "On your left" as you approach someone from behind. I don't say anything half the time but when I do (because people are wobbling all over the place) it typically makes them jump out of their skin. I don't make that much noise running and a sudden announcement is frightening I guess. It's a source of amusement for me.

That's not really in the same ballpark as blasting your horn and yelling "Hey, baby, want a ride? Where'd you get that *kitten*? I'd smash it!" or whatever...I practically jump out of my skin every time because I'm usually pretty zoned-out/intensely focused on what I'm doing.

Someone on the same sidewalk at me doesn't usually elicit that kind of response because I do pay attention to my immediate surroundings and can hear them approaching, unlike the traffic or stationary objects I'm tuning out.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

I think I make quite a lot of noise but I quite often startle people, amuses me too!
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I walked from my office to Rite Aid across the street to drop off some eveleopes- I started my timer because they have been cracking down on us at work about "time arrived- time taken on breaks and time left"-
    From my desk to half way outside- was 3 minutes.

In that time I had not one but TWO People hollar at me out of their cars while I was walking.

Seriously. Why. it's annoying. And stupid.

Wait...do you work in the same building as me? I have a Rite Aid across the street too! LOL ;)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Doesn't bother me at all unless they stop, or follow me.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    KDar1988 wrote: »
    I walked from my office to Rite Aid across the street to drop off some eveleopes- I started my timer because they have been cracking down on us at work about "time arrived- time taken on breaks and time left"-
    From my desk to half way outside- was 3 minutes.

In that time I had not one but TWO People hollar at me out of their cars while I was walking.

Seriously. Why. it's annoying. And stupid.

Wait...do you work in the same building as me? I have a Rite Aid across the street too! LOL ;)

heh- you live in NJ- then MAYBE!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I totally ignore them and try not to jump even though it really startles me for a moment. Seems to wind up the vulgar-comment-shouters more if they get absolutely no response.

I don't like it. Most of the time it's not complimentary, it's designed to make you jump/feel uncomfortable/make the passengers of the vehicle snigger (not to mention I look a state when exercising, so nobody is really going to be actually thinking I look good). I'm not jogging for their entertainment. And if it's a man who genuinely thinks a honk is a compliment, well... Can't see that working out well for him.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Whaaaat? Usually all it takes is a honk... Sometimes just a hard stare.

Then again I drive a pretty hot windowless white van so maybe that's it.

you have candy in that white van is the real question.

Candy- or bacon.

Candy lures the wrong clientele...I'm not about that life

Chocolate covered bacon?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I get honked an hollered at. I got it when I was overweight too. If it's someone in passing I let it go. What can I do about it? If it's someone in my neighborhood who bothers me day in and day out, I let them know I don't like it and to stop.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I haven't had this happen, but I wouldn't be able to take it as a compliment because it would startle / scare the *kitten* out of me. Not because I think the person honking is trying to be threatening, but because that's what a car horn is designed to do: to get someone's attention and alert them to danger. Whistling, cat-calling, etc. would not have the same effect on me, because it's not coming in a form that is literally designed to indicate danger.

I mostly just get polite hellos and the occasional stupid joke from my neighbors (one of my neighbors is a real "dad joke" guy, but not as funny as he thinks), and now and then if I leave my neighborhood I get people stopping to ask if I'm ok, because apparently no one in my city actually walks to the store.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    This doesn't happen often to me, and hasn't in a while. I've been kinda hoping for a honk lately cause I figure I'll just start flipping them the bird, lol.

However, a week or 2 ago I was running at a park near me with a biking/walking/jogging path around a big lake. There was a guy riding a bike with a GoPro on his helmet (helmet was only sitting on his head, not buckled, I was tempted to try to knock it off, lol) doing laps of the lake, and he very obviously, and for the entire time he was passing me in the other direction, stared at me with his GoPro. I was seriously tempted to stick a branch in his tire spokes. It's a whole other level of creeper status when you're using a camera.

In happier news, I love the purely positive motivational shouts! Was running in a steady rain, with my baseball cap and rain jacket on, absolutely dripping, and some guy gave me a big thumbs up, a smile, and yelled, "awesome dedication!" Totally brought a smile to my face.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, I won Beth over by being respectful and clever and treating her like she deserved some dignity and adventure. You're saying I should have just drove by and honked at her? I'll tell my single friends.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Doesn't bother me at all unless they stop, or follow me.

It didn't bother me until I got followed a couple of times. Now I feel like a honk is an indication I need to be on my guard, and I really hate it. Hate it hate it hate it. I run with my husband as often as possible so I'm not out alone, and I don't run in the dark, ever. If it happens, I ignore it - I don't want to antagonize or anyone or "encourage" more interaction by flipping them off.