LCRF & Ketosis help.

Options
I have been on the low-carb real food lifestyle change for three weeks now. The first two weeks I lost 6 pounds, the last week I've gained a pound. I average 22 carbs a day. My calories are usually a little under 1200 cal. I bought ketosis strips and they say I have a trace of ketones.

Net Carbs & Cals
7-9= 43 1179
7-10= 31. 969
7-11= 38. 1032
7-12= 24. 1364
7-13= 41. 1326
7-14= 32. 1140
7-15= 28. 549
7-16= 24. 1088
7-17= 21. 1022
7-18= 32. 1120
7-19= 25. 1170
7-20= 30. 1068
7-21= 36. 1129
7-22= 28. 1001
7-23= 22. 1481
7-24= 26. 999
7-25= 26. 920
7-26= 25. 1331
7-27= 23. 1168
7-28=

Most of my carbs came from eating my gummy vitamins in the morning. As of today I am not taking those gummy vitamins anymore.
I do exercise three times a week for about 20 minutes. Mostly treadmill and stationary bike. What a my doing wrong and why am I not in high ketosis?

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    The ketostix only show how much ketones you are excreting in urine. They are not reliable. They can also show trace readings if you are well hydrated, while also showing high readings when you are dehydrated.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

There is lots of information available in this group.
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more, carbs or no carbs or low carbs. <1200 is never recommended.
  • rhjsgal354
    rhjsgal354 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am so confused. I've been told all my life to eat 1200 calories. So, what do you suggest my goals should be. I only want to lose 2 pounds a week, that's not a unrealistic goal for most. I do use this app to track everything I eat, even gum.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    How much do you have to lose? 2lbs per week may be too aggressive a deficit for you.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    rhjsgal354 wrote: »
    . I only want to lose 2 pounds a week, that's not a unrealistic goal for most.

It is a realistic goal for obese individuals. You don't look obese in your profile picture.
  • BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Dr. Berg (i forget his 1st name but he is from Virginia) says that if you are fat burning than if you over exercise for your own body's state of health - fat burning shuts off until your body is healed from the stress of the exercise & there is a fine line where exercising doesn't help but hinder. He has videos on YouTube that explain quite a bit. Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt from DietDoctor.com also says no exercising for the first two weeks.
  • LCHFKaren
    LCHFKaren Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Use a keto calculator to get your correct macro intake. http://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/

Also week 3 is always weird on keto. Your body is catching up on initial water loss but you are still losing fat! Just calm down and keep doing the right thing (according to your macros) and all will be fine!
  • LCHFKaren
    LCHFKaren Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    PS, there are a few keto boards on this site you may find helpful. Post keto stuff on the main board and you're inviting the anti-keto trolls. :p
  • rhjsgal354
    Options
    Thank you so much for your help I appreciate all your answers. Realistically I would love to lose 40 to 50 pounds. I weighed 135 pounds in my picture I now weigh 192. In the last two years I have been struggling with peri-Menopause, menopause, all the mood swings, the stress and now I am on a patch it seems to be helping that, but the pound just keep adding on no matter what I do. I am 50 years old so time is not on my side. My husband and I adopted a infant son two years ago. I need to do this for him and myself.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    If you know you are in a deficit and your calorie is accurate, then keep plugging away! Weight loss is not linear, it kind of bounces up and down. You are looking for a downward trend. You've got this!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You're 50. Are you menopausal? Are you retaining water? In other words: have you *really* gained?

DO join the low carb group recommended above. Those folks know a lot about low carb eating.
  • rhjsgal354
    Options
    Lol, yes I've really gained. Approximately 30 in 3 yrs with no change in eating habits. I hate menopause. It's lasted over 2 yrs. I am on a estrogen patch for about 3 months and it's calmed the horrific hot flashes, thank God. The only trigger that I know of was a failed adoption three years ago, which cause a lot of depression and stress. We have a successful adoption and we are so happy now. I however, am still depressed a little, not sure of the cause. Thank you for the encouragement. I will stay the course. No bread, chocolate, flour.......etc. I am glad for all I have given up.

• rhjsgal354
    Options
    5uxx3rnxg4ux.jpeg
    This is my results of the Keto thing. Lol I don't see a possibility of eating all that fat. That is a lot.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Lol, yes I've really gained. Approximately 30 in 3 yrs with no change in eating habits. I hate menopause. It's lasted over 2 yrs. I am on a estrogen patch for about 3 months and it's calmed the horrific hot flashes, thank God. The only trigger that I know of was a failed adoption three years ago, which cause a lot of depression and stress. We have a successful adoption and we are so happy now. I however, am still depressed a little, not sure of the cause. Thank you for the encouragement. I will stay the course. No bread, chocolate, flour.......etc. I am glad for all I have given up.

I meant in the last week. :wink: Super hard to tell with menopause!

Join this group as well, if you haven't.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    5uxx3rnxg4ux.jpeg
    This is my results of the Keto thing. Lol I don't see a possibility of eating all that fat. That is a lot.

Not difficult at all. Melt some butter or pour a bit of olive oil on whatever you eat, and you'll be there in no time.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    How are you testing for ketosis? Is it with keto stix? Those just show if you are spilling ketones in your urine and not everyone does that at high levels. Blood and breath tests are more accurate, but more expensive.

I very rarely get above small ketones and am often in trace ketones. I only get moderate ketones if I fast for a day or two... and I don't do that often. ;) It's been like that for close to a year now. Some of us just don't spill many ketones.

Sometimes my liver goes a bit overboard with gluconeogenesis in the mornings (dawn phenomenon). When that occurs, my keton readings are negative even if I had way below 20g of total carbs in a day.

You are in ketosis at the carb intake you have. The lower calories would push you in that direction too.

Next week will be lower. It is amost a sure thing at your caloric intake (which is pretty low). Just keep at it. You are losing just under 2lbs per week on average. That's really good so far!
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    OP, you mentioned that you're now taking estrogen. Estrogen HRT can make you gain weight. You might want to check your progesterone levels as well, as progesterone can shut off the estrogen receptors.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    LauraCoth wrote: »
    OP, you mentioned that you're now taking estrogen. Estrogen HRT can make you gain weight. You might want to check your progesterone levels as well, as progesterone can shut off the estrogen receptors.

If she's menopausal, she's likely quite deficient in progesterone.
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    LauraCoth wrote: »

If she's menopausal, she's likely quite deficient in progesterone.

Yes. And progesterone can make being post-menopausal so much healthier and happier.

• bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid function tested? Hypothyroidism can cause weight gain and depression.