Options
124»

Replies

• BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I think it's both.

For the average individual, TDEE does decline slightly over time. Whether the average decline is due to the typical decline in muscle mass as we age or other factors is irrelevant for most people. The average individual who does not pay that much attention to their muscle mass or calorie intake or whatnot is going to see this decline reflected on the scale even if their activity and food intake stay the same. To go a step further, for many people activity does naturally decrease as we age. Just due to natural breakdowns in the structures of our bodies we get tired faster and recovery gets harder, and chronic injuries and conditions limiting movement become much more common. I'm only 35, and I can tell you that if I wasn't using MFP/Fitbit and actively trying to reach a calories burned goal every day I'd naturally be noticeably less active than I was when I was 20, while my 7 year old can come home from a day at school where he's presumably sitting at his desk quite a bit and have over 15,000 steps on his Fitbit (refurbished! don't judge ;) ) by 4pm.

That doesn't mean that it can't be overcome. There are plenty of older people who are fit and active and at a healthy body weight. It just takes more and more effort and attention as we age. When you're 25 or 30 you may be able to work out a bit here and there (or not), pay a little bit of attention to what you eat (or not), and be able to maintain a body/weight that you're happy with. Generally, a 70 year old cannot do that - to maintain that body/weight, they have to make more of a point to get moving every day, try a little harder to maintain muscle mass, pay more attention to how much they're eating, etc.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I'm utterly shocked at how many experts in human metabolism we have here. Especially because the consensus opinion is in stark contrast to all known biomedical research on the processes and biochemical effects of aging, cumulative damage to subcellular and organ systems, DNA damage and repair, apoptotic cascading and the like.

I will post a more comprehensive literature review later when I get a chance to sit down at my computer and pull key articles, but it seems the height of ignorance and/or arrogance to conclude aging has no effect on our ability to stay physically fit or affect body composition and caloric needs over time.
    It's NOT a denial that these happen with aging. The issue is can one stay fit and not get overweight as they age. The emphatic answer is yes, if they work at it within their aging boundaries.
    Where has anyone stated that they can still do at 50 what they used to do in their 20's? Or that they can eat the same amount that they did in their 20's?
    If anything, older people will feel encouraged by others here who have attained success at older ages versus someone stating that because of aging, you stand a lesser chance of being successful at all.
    Relax.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    My grandmother is 94 years old...she looks like she's about 70 and goes to the gym and strength trains every day, followed by water aerobics."
    . . . and furthermore, she's beautiful.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I'm utterly shocked at how many experts in human metabolism we have here. Especially because the consensus opinion is in stark contrast to all known biomedical research on the processes and biochemical effects of aging, cumulative damage to subcellular and organ systems, DNA damage and repair, apoptotic cascading and the like.

I will post a more comprehensive literature review later when I get a chance to sit down at my computer and pull key articles, but it seems the height of ignorance and/or arrogance to conclude aging has no effect on our ability to stay physically fit or affect body composition and caloric needs over time.

No one here is saying that aging has no effect, so let me save you the research project. I think most people (including you) would agree that with "normal aging" a bunch of things happen to our bodies. In no particular order, some of those signs of aging might include the following: skin loses its elasticity and becomes drier as oil glands slow. Hair thins and there is more gray as pigment cells are reduced. Compression of joints, including spinal disc causes a loss of height. High frequency sounds start becoming harder to hear. By age 50 most people need reading glasses as the eye lenses become less flexible. Changes occur in the menstrual cycle, before it ceases. Sleep time typically becomes shorter and the quality of sleep decreases. Waking during the night is common. Those are just a few of the obvious ones I found with a quick search in some of Joe Friel's writings. I'm sure you could add to this list.

And if we're talking about symptoms that concern aging athletes, the list includes more bad news. For example:
    Aerobic capacity (VO2 max) declines. Maximal heart rate is reduced. Volume of blood pumped with each heartbeat decreases. Muscle fibers are lost, resulting in decreased muscle mass and less strength. Aerobic enzymes in the muscles become less effective and abundant. Blood volume is reduced. (again, sourced from endurance coach Joe Friel)

All this is enough to make you want to avoid birthdays, isn'tt it?? I provided this information to both acknowledge your point, then to make the case that while this may be true, it is also true that we can have a dramatic effect on the quality of life we enjoy as we age. And the much more interesting discussion to me is one that helps us gain insight into those quality of life factors by seeing what active, fit, highly motivated older humans are capable of doing. I think that was the thrust in most of the posts that I read. No one denies aging has an impact, but the good news is that we can influence our overall health and well being in significant ways as we age.

• AJF230
    AJF230 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

There are old people, there are fat people. There are no old fat people.
    If losing extra pounds with age is harder, this alone is motivation to someone young to fix it now, when it's likely easiest!
  • wessx1
    wessx1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If you feel it's stronger why overthink ? Enjoy what you have
    Congrates on turning 40
    All the best!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

It's NOT a denial that these happen with aging. The issue is can one stay fit and not get overweight as they age. The emphatic answer is yes, if they work at it within their aging boundaries.
    Where has anyone stated that they can still do at 50 what they used to do in their 20's? Or that they can eat the same amount that they did in their 20's?
    If anything, older people will feel encouraged by others here who have attained success at older ages versus someone stating that because of aging, you stand a lesser chance of being successful at all.
    Relax.

(snippage)

Weelllllll . . . I'd come close to saying that (the bolded). No, not exactly that, since I'm 60, not 50. And it's probably more because I was young and dumb and didn't attempt enough in my 20s.

I for sure don't bounce back as fast if I overdo, and I think I don't have the same stamina (but maybe that's a post-chemotherapy thing, because that's when I really started noticing it). But I've been surprised by what I could do in my 40s, 50s, and now on the doorstep of my 60s, if I set my mind to it, laid a path of sensible progress, and stuck with it persistently over the long haul.

Young or old, age is always a factor. (I won't make the young feel dissed by listing things that I think I do better as a li'l ol' lady. ;) It's all individual, anyway.) But in recent years, with respect to being active, I've found an attitude of "let's see what I can do if I try" to be very helpful.

I know someone who started rowing (on water) at age 70. She loved it so much that her husband took it up at age 75, after 2 hip replacements. (He did it for a while, but had a bit of trouble in single shells with one leg falling asleep, so he bought a kayak and did that while she rowed, instead.) About 10 years later, after that same woman friend was widowed, she convinced her boyfriend to take a learn-to-row class when he was 81. He did fine. Yet I've had healthy but inactive 30-somethings tell me they were "too old" to do something like that.

We all have limitations. The trick is not to let our minds impose unnecessary, imaginary ones.

(edited to fix typos, which are worse in my 60s)
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I think that as people get older they tend to get less active and that can slow their metabolism over time and contribute to lean mass loss as well. So the real "excuse" isn't age, its activity.

I think its possible to maintain (and even build) lean mass in older people (I'll be 59 in a week), and power walk every day. My legs are very muscular, and if I started working my upper body (which is my plan), I'm sure that will follow right along.

JMO
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Our next birthdays are 60. We lost a combined 107 pounds over the last year. Oh yea wife's on medication that makes you gain weight.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    i never even thought about my age when losing weight. if you want to do something you just have to give it a good go, and never give up.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    p.s i am over 40
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Age can definitely affect our motivation and energy levels, but it's not something that should stop us. It's all a head game anyways.......I'm literally days away from turning 47, and I'm in the best physical shape of my life. Does my body look like it did at 25? Not exactly, but pretty much, with a few added changes (I was too scrawny at 25!)...but I am now the STRONGEST I've ever been, and also probably the happiest!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Mid 40s here. It's all excuses. You're doing a damned fine job!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    At 44 I'm experiencing similar to you. I hit the gym 5-6 times a week plus play tennis and/or dodgeball a few times a week. I feel like I can eat anything I want and still maintain a decent physique.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I am 57 and have lost 87 pounds since last September with a torn meniscus. The tear was a fitness issue. The weight was both an educational issue but mostly an excuse. I did not know how many calories I consumed or burned so I continued eating as if I were an active person and gained a lot of weight. I found my caloric deficit, stuck to it, increased my activity and watched as my weight, blood pressure, cholesterol, and triglycerides steadily went down to a healthy range. My motivation is simple: I'll have plenty of time to rest when I'm dead. Today I prefer to live life to it's fullest.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I didn't start lifting until I was 40. I'm almost 44, and while things have slowed down a little, and maintenance is slightly harder, it's a matter of a few calories. It takes just a little bit more mindfulness, but nothing extreme or too difficult.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    As I age people around me, particularly those I gave birth to, seem to get more irritating :open_mouth::bigsmile:

But it has not affected my weight loss or maintenance in any way ..unlike being lazy, having a car, having disposable income and a social life does

I am quoting myself from July 28 just to prove how our attitude and reasoning falters and changes with the tides..right now I am feeling too old to consider cutting again

I have been abroad in a villa for the past week, daily exceeded my calories, grazed like anything while trying to stay relatively active and trying to keep my calories within maintenance levels ...without seeming success..over eating by a few hundred daily (although I think my activity is being underestimated too)

Pretty sure that another week of this and I will have put on a few pounds. I came away thinking I should cut another 6 pounds anyway so it's going to be more like 10" But am wondering if after 18 months of maintenance I have the wherewithal or determination to cut again

For me it isn't about age, I stumbled on calorie counting, throwing away the noise and getting active at 47 ...I mean I always knew it was there but I didn't have the commitment until I found toys and data entries ...I have never been stronger or fitter, never lifted weights, never seen such musculature before, never found it easier to reduce my intake

But does that mean I will be able to return to a cut? Yeah I know how to do it..but I am unsure whether I will commit week in week out until I feel that resolve

And the resolve is not age reliant ..the resolve is something else, almost abstract ..it doesn't come with wanting or motivation

Sitting in this villa in the middle of nowhere, a little bored to be honest, I can't remember where it comes from or how to access it

It's not age

Its attitude