Does anyone ignore the calorie counter?

Options

Replies

• callumwalker1995
    callumwalker1995 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Macros...don't pay attention to your calories...MFP does not calculate all the nutritional info, for example look at my diary, it says I have gone over my calories today by 100+ yet my macros are still behind for the daily total

Macros are whack because user entered

Calories can be whack too but easier to double check on other databases

With that in mind, advising to focus on macros seems nonsensical to me as it just makes the double checking three times as hard

I do calories and protein (should do fat but can't be bothered)

Just times protein and carbs by 4 and your fats by 9, it takes 30 seconds. I was undercalculating what I was eating by 150-200 cals some days which rather than putting me at maintenance actually put me cutting!!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I quit logging because I have gotten educated on how to eat thanks to MFP and it pissed off everybody at the table. I just hang out here for the fun of it and in case I need intervention.

I hope to be where you are... one day. I just can't seem to let go of weighing and logging everything! It's an addiction i tell you!! :tired_face:
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I actually plan the protein for the entire day first (pre-log) so I guess it is protein first, then calories for the rest.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I started out a few years ago paying attention mostly to the macros, shifted over to focusing on calories and sugar, now I'm looking at sodium since I'm nearing my goal weight and am on multiple blood pressure meds.

Regarding accuracy: I find it's better to pay attention to the label on the food or use the bar code scanner rather than the items in the database. And I've found it's better to never take the first match that turns up for a product. Many items have multiple entries created by MFP users, and a lot of those are wildly inaccurate (whether intentionally or out of ignorance, I couldn't tell you).
  • gwynethsomeday
    gwynethsomeday Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Tend to pay more attention to macros.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Macros...don't pay attention to your calories...MFP does not calculate all the nutritional info, for example look at my diary, it says I have gone over my calories today by 100+ yet my macros are still behind for the daily total

With that in mind, advising to focus on macros seems nonsensical to me as it just makes the double checking three times as hard

Just times protein and carbs by 4 and your fats by 9, it takes 30 seconds. I was undercalculating what I was eating by 150-200 cals some days which rather than putting me at maintenance actually put me cutting!!

I know how to work out calories from macros I'm just questioning why you think, if using the MFP database that is any more accurate
  • AnnieintheN0rth
    AnnieintheN0rth Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Calories, for me. I was on here about two years ago and I was obsessed with tracking EVERYTHING I possible could. I had lost 110+ lbs and was terrified of losing control again. I spend so long pouring over digits and ended up weighing myself twice a day. It's wasn't a healthy attitude.
    Take away message: Whatever works for you, stick with that. That's all you need.
  • Christine_72
    Options

This is what i was trying to say, why track three macros when you can just track one, calories?? Plus trying to hit Protein, fat, carbs and fibre day in day out would drive me nuts. My macros are all over the place, never the same two days in a row.

• callumwalker1995
    Options

I know how to work out calories from macros I'm just questioning why you think, if using the MFP database that is any more accurate

i put in the info for the macros on all my foods from the packaging itself, so I know the macros are fairly accurate, but still the calories come out different to the sum of the macros
  • Christine_72
    Options

i put in the info for the macros on all my foods from the packaging itself, so I know the macros are fairly accurate, but still the calories come out different to the sum of the macros

Mine do too, i just went back and added up my macros from yesterday, and they were a few hundred more than my calories..

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    No
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

This is what i was trying to say, why track three macros when you can just track one, calories?? Plus trying to hit Protein, fat, carbs and fibre day in day out would drive me nuts. My macros are all over the place, never the same two days in a row.

Depending on one's goals there are certain minimums that should be hit for fat and protein. That's why. One can certainly lose weight just counting calories, but some of us have additional goals. I also track my fiber and micros. You should see my lifting spreadsheet! Yes, I'm a tad data driven . . . But, I know a few who are even more so.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Depending on one's goals there are certain minimums that should be hit for fat and protein. That's why. One can certainly lose weight just counting calories, but some of us have additional goals. I also track my fiber and micros. You should see my lifting spreadsheet! Yes, I'm a tad data driven . . . But, I know a few who are even more so.

I get what you're saying. I definitely watch my protein and fat intake, but i pay more attention to my calories and make sure they're right before stressing about anything else, I'm not an athlete or body builder though.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

I get what you're saying. I definitely watch my protein and fat intake, but i pay more attention to my calories and make sure they're right before stressing about anything else, I'm not an athlete or body builder though.

I think your last point is important. I think we all have to assess what we do in light of our goals. Lifting has become a hobby of mine so I put more effort into it than I otherwise would, but less than someone competing. Consistency is my biggest challenge. Just being on here helps me though.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    But, I know a few who are even more so.

That would be me. I started off just caring about calories, but after much learning on MFP, I started paying attention to my macros, then my micros, and now, every single day, I track all of the ones that MFP has for their standard settings. I like data, and I have nothing better to do, so I actually find it fun. But I count calories first, followed by protein, then make sure my sodium stays at or around 1500, and the rest I try to meet, exceed or limit depending on what they are. I might possibly be a little OCD. :)

• callumwalker1995
    Options

Mine do too, i just went back and added up my macros from yesterday, and they were a few hundred more than my calories..

I don't understand how they were more, ill check your diary
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    A

Actually adding up your macros from yesterday your calories come to 1590 which is 40 short of your goal
  • Christine_72
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Did you look at Friday or Saturday Callum? it's Sunday here, my yesterday is Saturday 30th July.

ETA: Never mind lol I just went back and checked, and there was only a 5 calorie difference. It was too early in the morning when i checked before, I should know better than to do calculations first thing in the morning :blushing:
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Calories first and foremost. I keep an eye on the macros but not paying as much attention to them as to calories. Also track fiber.
    I know the database is wobly but I double check, as needed, with the Dutch official database and try to use theri entries as much as I can
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

You're going to have a 20% margin of error on all packaging anyway so "accuracy" will always be rather a misnomer...good enough is good enough