I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    For whatever reason I stopped receiving notifications on this thread getting replies. Sorry for taking so long to answer your questions!
    annna777 wrote: »
    I am sure you lost a lot of weight that would create loose skin. How did you loose extra skin on stomach? Such as exercises because I am trying to tone up my stomach from weight loss.
    There is a video explaining loose skin right above this post. It explains all your questions. The long and short of it is that there are no exercises to deal with loose skin and simply fat loss and time are all that work.
    angpowers wrote: »
    How often and how long are you lifting??

I hurt my back 2 months ago (still painful) but its been so long since I've SERIOUSLY lifted, I'm just not even sure where to start anymore. I've done stronglifts 5x5 and was honestly just bored with it??

I run quit a bit, do strength training and HIIT/circuit training with FitnessBlender and some kickboxing stuff ... but I love the way muscle looks ... on both men and women.

I have the type of build that could hold muscle well. Idk ... just curious to what you do.

The amount of days I lift depend on how much I am eating. If I am gaining weight, I lift 5-6 times a week. If I'm losing it's 3-4 and for maintenance it's usually 4 days. Workout length is also dependent on diet. When in a calorie surplus I can tolerate much more volume so lifting days can be longer 1-1.25 hours. During maintenance about an hour is typical, and during a deficit I reduce volume by a fair amount and a lifting session can be as quick as 45 minutes.
    Lillyloooo wrote: »
    Hi there need advice , I read a book that say petite girls shouldn't do cardio as it makes U hungrier and fat and we should only do weights. Is this true ?
    No. It's not universally true at all. While cardio might make some people hungry, it can also make others not hungry at all. Being petite shouldn't affect that either, it's simply a person to person thing. Additionally, cardio cannot make you fat. That's just nonsense. The only thing that can make you fat is eating in a calorie surplus so unless doing cardio causes you to break your diet, you won't get fat and it's the breaking of the diet, not the cardio that did it. Further, many petite women must eat fairly low calories in order to lose weight due to simply burning fewer calories per day because of their small frame. Cardio might be necessary in order to be able to eat a little bit more and achieve satiation. All if this boils down to personal preference. If you enjoy cardio or it enables you to stick to your diet, by all means do it. If it makes you hungry or you absolutely hate it, then don't do it. Either way you adjust your diet to achieve your goals. All that being said, I believe cardio or not, petite or large, deficit or surplus, man or woman, you should do some kind of weight lifting routine to maintain (or gain) muscle mass.
  • vismal
    Options
    Hi Vismal, how did you decide when you had lost enough weight?
    When I reached a point where further weight loss was going to negatively effect my physique. You ultimately reach a point where losing more weight and getting more lean is going to cost you muscle mass and strength. At that point I usually transition back to a gaining phase, put on additional muscle, then return to a weight loss phase later in the year. I have it pretty well timed out to be my most lean in the middle of summer (shirts off season) and be the least lean in the middle of Ohio winter (shirt and sweatshirt and coat on season!).
    What do u do for a living? Desk jockey or physical labour?

I'm a registered nurse working in a trauma ICU so depending on the night I can be either. If it's relatively slow I may spend long periods of time sitting doing charting/paperwork but if it's busy I may be moving for 12 hours straight. I've logged as little as 3000 steps in a 12 hour shift and as many as 15,000.
  • Jezreel12
    Jezreel12 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I just learned to balance the dance that you are doing in cutting and gaining as you mentioned from you and I have to thank you here and on YouTube for teaching us how to do it by your gentle and yet direct way of explaining things through your experience!
  • stephenearllucas
    stephenearllucas Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Hi Vismal, I'm about halfway through my goal of a 75-pound loss. I have also been doing weightlifting and have seen steady improvement in the amount I can lift. Now it seems like I'm leveling off on strength gains. I'm guessing that I should just keep lifting and trying to improve, but if I can't, I shouldn't worry about it--I should continue to concentrate on weight loss until I hit my goal, then I can start on a bulk phase. Please let me know if this correct or not, and thanks so much for all the help you provide everyone on this thread!
  • alex111444
    alex111444 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    hey vismal, i have a question, i am on a weight loss journey myself (having lost about 105 pound so far) and people always tell me that i cut my calories too far ( it's actually true), but what they then say is that my body will '' hold on'' to fat the second i give it back more calories and that i will more rapidly get fat back ( i don't intend bumping back to maintenance the second i reach my weight goal, i am increasing my calories by about 50-100 per week until i reach desired number)

• vismal
    Options
    Hi Vismal, I'm about halfway through my goal of a 75-pound loss. I have also been doing weightlifting and have seen steady improvement in the amount I can lift. Now it seems like I'm leveling off on strength gains. I'm guessing that I should just keep lifting and trying to improve, but if I can't, I shouldn't worry about it--I should continue to concentrate on weight loss until I hit my goal, then I can start on a bulk phase. Please let me know if this correct or not, and thanks so much for all the help you provide everyone on this thread!
    Strength gains slow as time goes on for everyone, especially if you remain in a calorie deficit. Eventually you simply won't gain strength and maintaining strength is a more suitable goal until you've finished losing weight. As you mentioned, after that period of time, you can slowly put weight back in the form of lean muscle through a bulk and strength gains should come.
    alex111444 wrote: »
    hey vismal, i have a question, i am on a weight loss journey myself (having lost about 105 pound so far) and people always tell me that i cut my calories too far ( it's actually true), but what they then say is that my body will '' hold on'' to fat the second i give it back more calories and that i will more rapidly get fat back ( i don't intend bumping back to maintenance the second i reach my weight goal, i am increasing my calories by about 50-100 per week until i reach desired number)
    Cutting calories extremely low has a number of poor side effects associated with it, but what your friends are describing simply isn't true. The body will only get fat if you feed it enough calories to go over maintenance. If after your weight loss you increase calories to maintenance level (which will be significantly lower than before the weight loss due to losing 100+ lbs) you will not gain fat. Additionally, there is research to show that lean individuals gain proportionately more lean tissue compared to fat as overweight or obese when gaining weight while doing some kind of resistance training. So in actuality, the opposite of what you are being told is true :)

• alex111444
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Strength gains slow as time goes on for everyone, especially if you remain in a calorie deficit. Eventually you simply won't gain strength and maintaining strength is a more suitable goal until you've finished losing weight. As you mentioned, after that period of time, you can slowly put weight back in the form of lean muscle through a bulk and strength gains should come.
    Cutting calories extremely low has a number of poor side effects associated with it, but what your friends are describing simply isn't true. The body will only get fat if you feed it enough calories to go over maintenance. If after your weight loss you increase calories to maintenance level (which will be significantly lower than before the weight loss due to losing 100+ lbs) you will not gain fat. Additionally, there is research to show that lean individuals gain proportionately more lean tissue compared to fat as overweight or obese when gaining weight while doing some kind of resistance training. So in actuality, the opposite of what you are being told is true :)

thanks for the answer, i also wonder what is your opinion on acetyl l-carnitine. http://ca.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/acetyl-l-carnitine/10852377.html?countrySelected=Y
  • vismal
    Options
    The research on ALCAR as a fat loss supplement is fairly weak. I'd save my money.
  • alex111444
    Options
    The research on ALCAR as a fat loss supplement is fairly weak. I'd save my money.

thanks for the answers, one last question though, when i said i lost weight, i meant pretty fast... 105 pound in 3month (15th of april to 15th of july), eating ( at start) 500 calories a day, then upping it at about 700 a day now, i stick to it very well, feeling sometime dizzy i won't lie, doing cardio everyday and strenght training 4 times a week, seeing many and many of your videos i start to understand that your opinion about that much cardio is that it's not optimal. i weigh 235 now, and used to weigh as high as 375. so there might be some psychological damage there that is making me scared to drop even one day of cardio, i would like to know if you think it's okay to rush to 200 pounds then focus solely on strenght with only about 30km walks total per week?
  • RandilovestoRun
    RandilovestoRun Posts: 26 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I've always wanted to do an AMA so I thought I'd set one up here. The basics about my story are that I went from 315lbs to 195 and have been making small gains in muscles/losses to fat ever since. Ask me anything, anything at all!
    fat+skinny+fit.jpg

Add me as a friend on here too!

Congratulations on your success. I am a woman but so inspired by you. I am not looking to have as drastic of a transformation, starting weight is 165 I'd like to be around 135 and want to be lean with muscle. Either way, you saying your biggest regret is not starting to lift from day one is helpful. I am currently running 5-6 days a week and lifting 3 and have been wondering if it's actually not helpful to be lifting so early. But I'll keep lifting! Couple questions: What did you did if and when you plateaued (trying to prepare)? What are your top nutrition/diet tips? Again, congrats!! You look fantastic.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    You have a cult following! And for good reason. Thank you for sharing your story and continuing to come here month after month to respond. I bet it's motivating!

I am female, just starting heavy lifting at the age of 62, and looking at 5x5 programs...thanks for your Ice Cream 5x5 recommendation, I had not heard of it and will look at it. In the meantime, I am doing kettle bells - Russian swings and goblet squats to start, doing great so far, having really looked at a lot of instructional videos to be sure of technique. I have lifted dumbbells for years and do cardio 5 days a week. I am 21lbs into a 100lb weight loss journey I started in April of this year.

Again, thank you...the fact that just a little more than 5 years ago you were 315lbs is astounding. Fabulous transformation, congratulations!
  • vismal
    Options

thanks for the answers, one last question though, when i said i lost weight, i meant pretty fast... 105 pound in 3month (15th of april to 15th of july), eating ( at start) 500 calories a day, then upping it at about 700 a day now, i stick to it very well, feeling sometime dizzy i won't lie, doing cardio everyday and strenght training 4 times a week, seeing many and many of your videos i start to understand that your opinion about that much cardio is that it's not optimal. i weigh 235 now, and used to weigh as high as 375. so there might be some psychological damage there that is making me scared to drop even one day of cardio, i would like to know if you think it's okay to rush to 200 pounds then focus solely on strenght with only about 30km walks total per week?
    You are clearly not eating enough for your activity level. You need to increase calories by quite a bit. At 500-700 calories intake you couldn't possibly be getting in enough protein and fats to maintain muscle mass and achieve overall health. I would increase calories by a lot and try and utilize a more healthy, sustainable, method of weight loss. 500 calories a day for a man, unless under the strict supervision of a health care professional, is borderline eating disorder territory. Even PSMFs done by clinics have you eating more calories then that.
    I've always wanted to do an AMA so I thought I'd set one up here. The basics about my story are that I went from 315lbs to 195 and have been making small gains in muscles/losses to fat ever since. Ask me anything, anything at all!
    fat+skinny+fit.jpg

Congratulations on your success. I am a woman but so inspired by you. I am not looking to have as drastic of a transformation, starting weight is 165 I'd like to be around 135 and want to be lean with muscle. Either way, you saying your biggest regret is not starting to lift from day one is helpful. I am currently running 5-6 days a week and lifting 3 and have been wondering if it's actually not helpful to be lifting so early. But I'll keep lifting! Couple questions: What did you did if and when you plateaued (trying to prepare)? What are your top nutrition/diet tips? Again, congrats!! You look fantastic.
    I never plateaued. I just gradually reduced calories whenever weight loss slowed. It always works. If you reduce calories, you will lose weight. You also have to be wise enough to realize when further weight loss is actually counterproductive to your physique and adding muscle will net you a better result. My number one tip for diet/nutrition is to get good at counting calories. That involves consistently tracking every day, weighing ALL of your solid food on a food scale and only using measuring cups/spoons for liquids, and not forgetting or purposely not logging things you eat. If you want to eat it, weight it then log it...

• AlisaPrince86
    AlisaPrince86 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi, idk if you've covered this issue there are years worth of comments lol but did your skin tighten up as you lost the weight/added muscle?
  • vismal
    Options
    Hi, idk if you've covered this issue there are years worth of comments lol but did your skin tighten up as you lost the weight/added muscle?
    This is probably the number 1 question asked of me in general and in this thread. Check back 1 page and you'll find a video that pretty much explains loose skin and what can be done about it.

• alex111444
    Options

You are clearly not eating enough for your activity level. You need to increase calories by quite a bit. At 500-700 calories intake you couldn't possibly be getting in enough protein and fats to maintain muscle mass and achieve overall health. I would increase calories by a lot and try and utilize a more healthy, sustainable, method of weight loss. 500 calories a day for a man, unless under the strict supervision of a health care professional, is borderline eating disorder territory. Even PSMFs done by clinics have you eating more calories then that.
    fat+skinny+fit.jpg

I never plateaued. I just gradually reduced calories whenever weight loss slowed. It always works. If you reduce calories, you will lose weight. You also have to be wise enough to realize when further weight loss is actually counterproductive to your physique and adding muscle will net you a better result. My number one tip for diet/nutrition is to get good at counting calories. That involves consistently tracking every day, weighing ALL of your solid food on a food scale and only using measuring cups/spoons for liquids, and not forgetting or purposely not logging things you eat. If you want to eat it, weight it then log it...

i have watched quite a few of your videos, i just saw the one where you speak about reverse diet and why in most case it is not needed, except in dramatic ones where retards cut their calories too low ( hey that's me) , so would you say that after 3 month of such extreme diet (500-700calories per day) i should up by100 a week? or i need to get it up at around 1800 at a faster rate to not aggravate my metabolism?
  • cindylynnb2016
    cindylynnb2016 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Amazing. And you are still helping people on here. Thank you!
  • vismal
    Options

fat+skinny+fit.jpg

i have watched quite a few of your videos, i just saw the one where you speak about reverse diet and why in most case it is not needed, except in dramatic ones where retards cut their calories too low ( hey that's me) , so would you say that after 3 month of such extreme diet (500-700calories per day) i should up by100 a week? or i need to get it up at around 1800 at a faster rate to not aggravate my metabolism?
    A hundred a week is probably slower than necessary. I'd do 250 and hold for 2 weeks, do anyother 250 and hold for 2 weeks and see where you are from there.

• GettingFitSlim
    GettingFitSlim Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    wow!! amazing job! :smiley: how did you get your stomach flat? im doing cardio 3x week, strength training 3x week, and abs 3-4x week but still have a little fat JUST in my stomach area. any recommendations?
  • alex111444
    Options
    is there a reason you are not doing anymore videos on youtube? i was really enjoying your vlogs and recipe!
  • vismal
    Options
    wow!! amazing job! :smiley: how did you get your stomach flat? im doing cardio 3x week, strength training 3x week, and abs 3-4x week but still have a little fat JUST in my stomach area. any recommendations?
    Spot reduction is impossible so to flatten your stomach you must simply lose more body fat. The lower stomach is the last place fat typically sticks for many people. I'd also not do abs separate from strength training. They do not require anything special. 2-3 times a week, when you strength train, train your abs in a weighted fashion and progressively add weight as time goes on, just like every other muscle should be trained...
    is there a reason you are not doing anymore videos on youtube? i was really enjoying your vlogs and recipe!

I'm extremely busy at the moment. Working full time, grad school full time, 5 month old daughter. YouTube is going to be on hold for a bit though I am going to try and put out a few videos during my 2 week break from school coming up.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!