Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is cow's milk usage a universal unrealized health issue as in this n=4 case?

Options
124»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @GaleHawkins it wasn't the same chemical cocktail as you'll find today, but to be sure it was still a chemical cocktail.

(Anyone who doesn't believe me needs to look up what a chemical is.)

My Bad! I should have said it was not the man made chemical cocktail as it is today. :)

globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/dangers-of-cows-milk/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    (1) That does not appear to be a particularly credible source, as I am sure you know. Certain types of language and misuse of terms is a tip off that it would be helpful to learn, especially as someone who supposedly has an interest in the science. I find it odd that you would not recognize this, which is why I say I am sure you realize this.

(2) Pasteurization vs. raw is a separate issue from antibiotics and growth hormones, or organic feed. Without expressing an opinion, I will say that it's easy to find sources of dairy that don't involve those, without it being raw.

(3) Other things that site is on about ("pus" and cows being stressed) similarly has nothing to do with raw vs. not, and a vegan would say it's all bad based on the same kinds of arguments.

(4) Pasteurization historically has prevented many deaths and the idea that it makes milk toxic is absurd. That doesn't mean there aren't sources of raw milk that I would consider worth the risk (I've also had water out of streams when camping -- I'm not that risk averse), but to suggest that historically we'd be better off if commercial milk were raw seems a pretty difficult to sustain claim, to put it mildly.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    This write up on A2 milk is from the much maligned fed up site, but it has a good and condensed explanation of the difference between a1 and a2 milk

http://fedup.com.au/factsheets/additive-and-natural-chemical-factsheets/a2-milk
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    A2 milk has the second milk protein (casein) dominant. These days I think it is established by testing the heard members but Channel Island milk as it was known in the UK was always A2. Goat milk it also type to casein as I said previously.

The FED Up, site is only maligned by those who do not experience food intolerance issues, for some of us who do it does not go far enough with some of the potential problems but it is a good place to start for anyone who is trying to get to grips with problems for the first time. Thank you Christine
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    :smile:

Well today is my first day on A2 milk, so we shall see what happens. Next up is A2 yogurt.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    If the protein is your problem you will start to feel better before the end of the weekend. I have not seen an A2 cheese as yet but know of a hard aged goat cheese which tastes and cooks well, there are also soft and blue kinds on the market too. Sheep cheese could also be a possibility if you really go for cheese.

The down side of all this is one needs to watch labels, milk gets into everything, finding that treat can be problematical. Though considering the benefits for me its not worth looking back. Good Luck.