Options

Replies

• kbmh611
    kbmh611 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    kbmh611 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Anyone else find that MFP doesn't give you enough differing serving size choices when you enter your food? For instance, I had a little syrup on a waffle this morning (maybe about a tsp) and when I went to scan the label and choose the serving it only gives me the 1/4 cup serving size on the bottle and a bunch of other random sizes like the whole bottle or milliliters. Why wouldn't a tsp or tblspn be an option? I found this problem with other foods as well and it's aggravating. I shouldn't have to be a mathematician or something to enter in my calories on an app that's supposed to make it easy.

https://www.reference.com/food/many-teaspoons-1-4-cup-ba2d02dc82ddba36

Thanks, but I know I can google it and get the answer. I guess my point is that I shouldn't have to leave the app, google the answer and then come back to the app to enter. This app is supposed to make it easy and it makes no sense that it wouldn't offer a tsp or tblspn option for a liquid product. Also it sometimes will give you a totally different calorie than the one on the box when you scan the bar code.

I think you're making this much more complicated than it has to be. Are you trying to lose weight? Focus on staying within the calories that MFP gives you. Use the database or labels, but try to be as accurate as possible...same with your burns. If you feel comfy enough, and are staying in your numbers, you might then start worrying about macros...I'd start with one, protein. Why drive yourself crazy making it harder than it has to be?

Who said I was worried about macros? I think you are confusing my comments with the rest of the discussion on this topic. I'm not making it complicated, what I'm saying is that MFP is making it more complicated than it has to be. To even do a basic tracking of calories you need to know the serving size to enter of what you ate. That's what I'm talking about...MFP not offering enough logical serving size options to choose from when you enter your good intake. I don't want to guess at numbers and hope I'm close. I want to know for sure that I'm staying at a deficit
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Anyone else find that MFP doesn't give you enough differing serving size choices when you enter your food? For instance, I had a little syrup on a waffle this morning (maybe about a tsp) and when I went to scan the label and choose the serving it only gives me the 1/4 cup serving size on the bottle and a bunch of other random sizes like the whole bottle or milliliters. Why wouldn't a tsp or tblspn be an option? I found this problem with other foods as well and it's aggravating. I shouldn't have to be a mathematician or something to enter in my calories on an app that's supposed to make it easy.

Thanks, but I know I can google it and get the answer. I guess my point is that I shouldn't have to leave the app, google the answer and then come back to the app to enter. This app is supposed to make it easy and it makes no sense that it wouldn't offer a tsp or tblspn option for a liquid product. Also it sometimes will give you a totally different calorie than the one on the box when you scan the bar code.

I think you're making this much more complicated than it has to be. Are you trying to lose weight? Focus on staying within the calories that MFP gives you. Use the database or labels, but try to be as accurate as possible...same with your burns. If you feel comfy enough, and are staying in your numbers, you might then start worrying about macros...I'd start with one, protein. Why drive yourself crazy making it harder than it has to be?

Who said I was worried about macros? I think you are confusing my comments with the rest of the discussion on this topic. I'm not making it complicated, what I'm saying is that MFP is making it more complicated than it has to be. To even do a basic tracking of calories you need to know the serving size to enter of what you ate. That's what I'm talking about...MFP not offering enough logical serving size options to choose from when you enter your good intake. I don't want to guess at numbers and hope I'm close. I want to know for sure that I'm staying at a deficit

If you're serious about this then switch to weighing and entering per 100g or 100ml. No more guessing and messing around with serving sizes, cups, teaspoons/tablespoons, etc.
  • kbmh611
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

If you're serious about this then switch to weighing and entering per 100g or 100ml. No more guessing and messing around with serving sizes, cups, teaspoons/tablespoons, etc.

Yeah I know that. But cups, tsps, and tablespoons are more common sizes people are used to and are easy to know and measure (since most people have measuring cups and spoons in their kitchens). I'm just saying I find it strange that MFP wouldn't offer these as common measuring options for many things I'm eating. Just wondering if anyone else had been noticing this. I might write that as a possible enhancement for the app in my next review when they ask me to do one.
  • rainbowbow
    edited August 2016
    Options

Yeah I know that. But cups, tsps, and tablespoons are more common sizes people are used to and are easy to know and measure (since most people have measuring cups and spoons in their kitchens). I'm just saying I find it strange that MFP wouldn't offer these as common measuring options for many things I'm eating. Just wondering if anyone else had been noticing this. I might write that as a possible enhancement for the app in my next review when they ask me to do one.

i don't know if you noticed what i said before... but... almost the entire database was created by users. MFP has very little to do with the measurements and quantities users have entered in.

So things like the serving size, calories, macronutrients, micronutrients, and more can be commonly inaccurate or just missing.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

I know that the conversion math is annoying, especially using Imperial measurements.

1/4 cup = 4 tablespoons or 12 teaspoons

15 mL = 1 tablespoon or 3 teaspoons
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options

Buy a scale...then you know your serving size. Enter each ingredient separately, to avoid bad entries. Get an activity tracker, so you can closely estimate your burns and be sure you're at a deficit. It's really not that hard!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

i don't know if you noticed what i said before... but... almost the entire database was created by users. MFP has very little to do with the measurements and quantities users have entered in.

This. The only ones that MFP input are the USDA ones (which I personally use when possible) and they have tons of serving options. It really has nothing to do with MFP, so expecting an enhancement, well, don't hold your breath.

(I personally prefer gram measurements anyway -- a cup of melon depends on how you cut it.)
  • kbmh611
    Options

So things like the serving size, calories, macronutrients, micronutrients, and more can be commonly inaccurate or just missing.

Even when you scan a label on the package itself? I know people enter in certain foods or recipes calories themselves.
  • Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    protein and carbs are what i look at, but i also look at the calories. To be honest, if you're watching these things.. it's hard to go over on calories anyways. I also have very little clue what i am doing, i just learn as I go & it seems to be working.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

Even when you scan a label on the package itself? I know people enter in certain foods or recipes calories themselves.

No, these come straight from the manufacturer i believe.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

I once encountered a food that was completely wrong. It was tomato sauce but came up as cheese.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

I once encountered a food that was completely wrong. It was tomato sauce but came up as cheese.

weird. I wonder if it would scan wrong in a store too.
  • kbmh611
    Options

Right. That's what I'm saying... The problem is with MFP's accuracy then.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

explain. these come from the manufacturer not myfitnesspal.
  • kbmh611
    Options

I guess I have to keep restating my original post about this...I just took a moment to comment on the fact that MFP doesn't seem to offer enough serving size options to choose from when you scan a product and you consumed a different size than the normal serving size on the box. You then said that users enter most of the serving size info on the app, but not if you actually scan a product, which is what I said from the start of this convo that I did. So I'm back to my original point that MFP does not offer enough serving sizes to choose from, meaning it's an issue with what they offer in the app and nothing to go with individual user entries.
  • kbmh611
    Options

weird. I wonder if it would scan wrong in a store too.

I've had this happen with certain hot dogs and Twinkie calories. When I scan it in MFP it comes up as something else or the calories are way off.

• rainbowbow
    Options

I guess I have to keep restating my original post about this...I just took a moment to comment on the fact that MFP doesn't seem to offer enough serving size options to choose from when you scan a product and you consumed a different size than the normal serving size on the box. You then said that users enter most of the serving size info on the app, but not if you actually scan a product, which is what I said from the start of this convo that I did. So I'm back to my original point that MFP does not offer enough serving sizes to choose from, meaning it's an issue with what they offer in the app and nothing to go with individual user entries.

What i'm saying is is the serving size information comes... from the manufacturer. Not from MFP. This is not a MFP issue. No one on MFP's side has created these entries or the serving sizes. This is not something they can or will fix.
  • kbmh611
    Options

What i'm saying is is the serving size information comes... from the manufacturer. Not from MFP. This is not a MFP issue. No one on MFP's side has created these entries or the serving sizes. This is not something they can or will fix.

I don't believe that. They could do the measuring math for you and enter different serving sizes as options. Usually the manufacturer only list one sort of serving size on the package. So that doesn't explain why when you scan different products into MFP there are different serving size options. It's just not consistent with everything. Like you scan milk and it might give you tsp or cup options, but another liquid item like syrup or vinegar when scanned might not. That would be a useful enhancement for all sizes to be figured out for you and offered as as a serving size for everything.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options

There are three types of entries:

1. Entries that MFP gets from the USDA database, which for the vast majority have all the appropriate measurement options.
    2. Manufacturer-added entries
    3. User-created entries

You can only hold MFP responsible for # 1. On the rare occasion I find an error in # 1, I create a ticket with Support. I can spot MFP system entries because they use the same tortured syntax as the USDA database. https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I just saw the same sort of thing on amazon. I was trying to buy my dad a book of Spanish short stories and reading about the different options, but the description that came up for the first one I looked at was for a telling your child about marijuana book. I was very confused for a minute.