I swallowed a bug...

I was out cycling and swallowed a bug. How should I log it?

:#

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Mostly fiber. I wouldn't worry about it.

Seriously - it seemed softish - not like a beetle or a grasshopper.

This is so seriously going to mess with my macro's

Do I quick add calories or should I guess at fiber, fat, etc?

I would say since fiber that can be taken off "net" carbs.. go a head search for USDA Bug (in grams)

What do you think 2 - 3 grams?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited August 2016

Is it in the database? I say YES, bugs are chocked full of protein, if you don't log it you could go WAY over your protein for the day...which isn't always a bad thing. Do you know what type of bug you ate? That might be the hard part on logging...

I know when dogs eat socks, hair bands etc. etc... the vets tells the owner to wait until it comes out... so you may have to do that, log it when you find out what type it was. Well, ah..maybe you could skip the logging this time?

But next time see if you can get an idea before you eat the bug so you can log it accurately!
    Throw some veggies together for lunch and you're set.. that way you got fabulous protein and veggies.. because if it was a locust.. well that's definitely a meal!

https://memegenerator.net/instance/27821227 I'll share the link, it's absolutely perfect for the OP's issue but can't put the pic in the post..because there's a *puppy* in it.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

I would say since fiber that can be taken off "net" carbs.. go a head search for USDA Bug (in grams)

What do you think 2 - 3 grams?

My mouth was sort of dry and I swallowed it without water - so I will go with 2 grams.

Any help is appreciated!
  • Hearts_2015
    edited August 2016

100 grams of cricket contains 121 calories ...was it a cricket? Did you by any chance notice how many grams it was? Because..math.

Aw...well I should note I Googled and a bunch of ana sites came up, of course and that was were the cricket/calorie info came from so take it with a grain of salt.. :laugh: no pun intended.. or accidentally intended, your choice.

I love this thread.. I love you OP you've made my lunch hour.. you've made me laugh, you've made me smile, you've made me Google. :D
  • Hearts_2015
    edited August 2016
    _JustLucy_ wrote: »
    This is the man that swallowed a fly. I don't know why he swallowed a fly. Perhaps he'll die.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I remember this and loved it! How long have you been waiting to post this.. it's absolutely perfect!

EDIT
    I was reading the info on maggots... but let's just pretend it wasn't maggots, K? Because...ew, just ew.

I disagree. It's mostly protein. What kind of fly?
    EDIT
    But the wings... how would the wings figure in? Wondering about the sodium too and natural sugars, it would vary so much from bug to bug.. depending on what they ate.

Oh particularly mosquito's, now that would vary on who they bit. :#

zyxst wrote: »
    If you can take a best guess at what type of bug is was, here's a link to Iowa State University:

http://www.ent.iastate.edu/misc/insectnutrition.html
    EDIT
    Whoa! Some seriously great info! Hopefully you ate a catepillar that flung from a low hanging limb!

Check this out...
    Caterpillar
    28.2 Protein
    35.5 Iron

I'm seriously thinking of tossing some of these puppies in my salad.. that protein is fabulous and the iron is pretty awesome too! Probably tastes like Garbanzo beans, don't think I could cut them up though.. that doesn't seem right.

I've seen recipes for all sorts of things using grasshopper, cricket, cockroach etc. flour. You use your blender or whatever works to grind them fine enough to make the flour. All sorts of sites..

Can you imagine taking "banana nut bread: to your next work event.. ?
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    I disagree. It's mostly protein. What kind of fly?

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    If you can take a best guess at what type of bug is was, here's a link to Iowa State University:

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Cricket powder is high in protein and fiber. Earthworms are 99% protein. Assuming you had something much smaller than a cricket that was flying, calculating grams and such in my head, it works out to the calories you get swallowing the droplets of mucus from companions sneeze.
  • Hearts_2015
    edited August 2016
    zyxst wrote: »

18pzi6jbj9t9ijpg.jpg[img][/img]18pzqg36fxjh8gif.GIF
    @Nova She would likely hurt you if you ate the bees, just a warning ahead of time! :s;)
    @Tweaking_Time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAhuSDRIDHE
  • Hearts_2015
    edited August 2016
    I am positive it was not a maggot, cricket, or a worm as I was still riding upright :laugh: and, even though I ride the trails, I don't "unceremoniously dismount" very often.

I have been thinking hard and, although I am a leg man and love a fine set of legs, I can rule out mayflies because it is now August - duh.

I don't think it was a fly because it definitely was not juicy.

Maybe a big river-bottom mosquito with a full belly???

Oh so you chewed it then, not actually just swallowed it.. I see...now that changes things.
    bugs-eat-1.jpg
    A young girl eats dried mealworms seasoned with an African rub of cinnamon, coriander, pepper and other spices, bought at a store selling insects for human consumption in Berlin.

Are you in Berlin by chance? Any low hanging limbs? Yea you didn't mention on your first post if you had a bike crash.. no we didn't have that info to go by... perhaps some of us made unintentional erroneous assumptions. :blush:

EDIT
    Hm... maybe for next time when you need some protein while riding you may want to plan ahead and pick up a pkg. of mealworms. That way it'll have the nutrition info on the back for pre-logging and you'll get some great crunching action for the ride.

Just trying to be helpful, ya know.. I do better when I pre-log other wise I sometimes eat what ever comes along too. :#:p
  • LoraMartyn
    LoraMartyn Posts: 41 Member
    Bug, Generic :D
  • Hearts_2015
    edited August 2016
    LoraMartyn wrote: »
    Bug, Generic :D

Clicked the MFP Database... this is what comes up for Bug, Generic
    Could you have eaten a Doughnut and thought it was a bug instead? I suppose the two could be mistaken for one another?
    The only macros/micros that show up to any amount are the ones below, I didn't bother to paste over the 0's.
    So that sorta kills the fiber, protein etc.

So you get sodium in if you're lacking, some fat, and carbs... but eating bugs more often might be a better idea. Bug protein vs. Doughnut lard is what it comes down to I guess.

Love Bug- Generic - Donut

Calories 190
    Sodium 220 mg
    Total Fat 7 g
    Total Carbs 30 g

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Still mulling over the Biker Bug conundrum! I am going with it was a type of fling insect. I am ruling out mosquito because I really do hate those. And I am not going with hornets, bees, wasps or fire ants.

Flies are at the top of the protein chart!

Fruit Fly, House Fly, Drain Fly, Horse Fly, Cluster Fly, Crane Fly

6370qg8xnpoe.png
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Flying ant.....tis the swarm season