More plateau advice

Options

Replies

• carnivalnights
    carnivalnights Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    One misc thought: as to diary and choosing the right entries. This may seem basic, but do you weigh items raw and use raw entries in the database? Weight changes with cooking due to change in moisture levels so this could be an easy mistake to make.

Such as raw 5 ounces of chicken may be only 3.5 ounces after cooked. If you log 3.5 ounces for a raw database entry, you're logging less than consumed.

Good point! Most of the entries do not specify (meat usually does though). I weigh everything after cooking. Going to pay more attention to the entries and see if I can figure out if it's raw or cooked.

This is part of the problem then. All meat must be weighed prior to cooking. Same with pasta, rice, oats, etc. Every time this happens, you're logging at least 100 calories less than you actually ate.

The meat entries I use say cooked, which I already said, so that's what I'm using. It only matters if I am using entries that say raw but I'm weighing it cooked.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    olgasman wrote: »
    I would concentrate on strength building. Lean muscle is the engine that burns calories. Your body has hit an equilibrium where it is happy with what you are giving it calorie wise. Building muscle will increase your metabolism greatly. Many women are afraid of bulking up, but most women don't have the ability to get huge muscles. You have lost a lot of muscle mass in your weight loss. It's time to get it back and increase your metabolism.

Upthread it says OP needs to lose 100lbs, soooooooo....
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    One misc thought: as to diary and choosing the right entries. This may seem basic, but do you weigh items raw and use raw entries in the database? Weight changes with cooking due to change in moisture levels so this could be an easy mistake to make.

Such as raw 5 ounces of chicken may be only 3.5 ounces after cooked. If you log 3.5 ounces for a raw database entry, you're logging less than consumed.

Good point! Most of the entries do not specify (meat usually does though). I weigh everything after cooking. Going to pay more attention to the entries and see if I can figure out if it's raw or cooked.

This is part of the problem then. All meat must be weighed prior to cooking. Same with pasta, rice, oats, etc. Every time this happens, you're logging at least 100 calories less than you actually ate.

The meat entries I use say cooked, which I already said, so that's what I'm using. It only matters if I am using entries that say raw but I'm weighing it cooked.

That doesn't make them accurate entries though unless you're using USDA entries or whatever your country's equivalent would be. The database is user entered. I've seen cooked chicken breast entries that say 100 grams is only 60 calories when it's more like 160 calories for 100 grams.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Nearly all so called "plateaus" are the result of calorie creep. I've lost 145 over 2+ years and have not had a single plateau (defined as 6 weeks of no loss while eating & exercising the same). Sometimes I go a 2-3 weeks without a loss, but this is normal, not a plateau. I weigh daily and track my patterns and trends so I know exactly what is going on with my body. At 61 I am not young, I've had medical challenges, taken vacations, and treats within my goals. I walk daily, strength train several times a week, and have started running. I drink little alcohol 2-3 times a month (empty calories), few desserts, and absolutely no bingeing. I do not keep food in the house that I don't want to eat. If someone else wants it, they have it, but it's not on my "list". Portion control is key. Hope that helps a little bit.
  • carnivalnights
    Options

That doesn't make them accurate entries though unless you're using USDA entries or whatever your country's equivalent would be. The database is user entered. I've seen cooked chicken breast entries that say 100 grams is only 60 calories when it's more like 160 calories for 100 grams.

Right. I agree. But the ones I use often are ones I have checked. When I first started using MFP I slowly started to realize how inaccurate some of them are. For me personally it is way easier to weigh after I cook food because I meal prep. But that's just my preference. As long as I am using the right entries, and accurate entries, it should be fine. But that's something to always double check.
  • carnivalnights
    Options
    If you are not loosing weight then you are not in a deficit. Its THAT simple. Ask yourself why you are not in a deficit and do something about it

Um, I'm trying to. That's why I'm here. I'm going by what my deficit was calulated to be and if it's not accurate that is not my fault and I need to know why and how to go about makingmaking a more accurate one. No need to be rude. I love how so many people say they're here to help and yet I've been spoken to disrespectfully by many here.

Just because people have asked you questions you find uncomfortable and haven't agreed that you're a special snowflake does not mean anyone has been 'disrespectful'.

You're one of them. So just stop with the snide comments. That's not why I'm here. I don't care about people agreeing with me. If you read my responses to other people you'd see I am open to what they are saying and trying to answer everyone's questions. What I don't want or need is rude remarks. Take your attitude and go in another thread.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    If you are not loosing weight then you are not in a deficit. Its THAT simple. Ask yourself why you are not in a deficit and do something about it

Um, I'm trying to. That's why I'm here. I'm going by what my deficit was calulated to be and if it's not accurate that is not my fault and I need to know why and how to go about makingmaking a more accurate one. No need to be rude. I love how so many people say they're here to help and yet I've been spoken to disrespectfully by many here.

Just because people have asked you questions you find uncomfortable and haven't agreed that you're a special snowflake does not mean anyone has been 'disrespectful'.

You're one of them. So just stop with the snide comments. That's not why I'm here. I don't care about people agreeing with me. If you read my responses to other people you'd see I am open to what they are saying and trying to answer everyone's questions. What I don't want or need is rude remarks. Take your attitude and go in another thread.

I haven't been rude though. I asked you to open you diary... just because you don't want to doesn't make me rude...
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    Have you checked your actual BF content? while the Scale may stay the same other things may be shifting so a scale can be deceiving. Do your clothes fit differently? did you take pics before and after and document it? Also are you Macro balanced on your healthy fat? I see you speak to Carbs and protein how are the fats looking? Also on a long shot have you had your thyroid function checked?
  • carnivalnights
    Options

I haven't been rude though. I asked you to open you diary... just because you don't want to doesn't make me rude...

That wasn't even what I was referring to. Your snowflake comment alone takes the cake. You're also making assumptions about me and you don't even know me.
  • carnivalnights
    Options
    I say keep everything the same but add a brisk one hour walk every day. Best of luck.

Thank you. :)
  • carnivalnights
    Options
    I understand your frustration - I've had some long plateaus as well and was never able to get useful advice from other MFP users, nor from doctors. A true plateau is similar to what you described... there are fluctuations, but despite eating at a deficit, you are not losing weight. Likewise, eating at a surplus will not cause you to gain weight.

My suggestion is to first find out for certain that you are in a true plateau and that you are not eating at maintenance inadvertently (as many previous comments suggest). To determine this, increase calorie intake significantly for the next 3-4 weeks. Don't change anything else (especially workouts / CO). If possible, increase by 2K calories per day. If you're eating at maintenance today (i.e. your BMR is miscalculated to be higher than it really is), then you should start gaining weight quickly. If you are in a true plateau, on the other hand, your weight will not significantly change. You will notice greater day-to-day fluctuations, but it will fluctuate up and down around the same number. Once you have either confirmed you are in a true plateau or found that your BMR is miscalculated, then you can take the next step.

During my longest plateau (5 months), I did the above for 6 weeks and started by increasing calories on average about 3K per day - ended up about 500 over as I gradually decreased the surplus (due to unrelated reasons, I became more satisfied with less food). Weight didn't change, except daily fluctuations became larger. There was even a point where my weight increased 9 lbs. within less than 4 hours. But since I was hovering around the same weight, I could confidently say that I was in a true plateau (because a sharp CI increase did not lead to sustained weight gain, just as a deficit was not resulting in a sustained weight loss).

Thank you for this insight. My calories are currently at 1500 and I usually don't even eat that, so I highly doubt I could manage increasing by 2000 per day. I just literally can't eat that much (nor can I afford to money-wise, haha)! :P Wish there was an easier way to determine this.

Increase what you can... if it is fewer calories, then you will need to spend more time to see if there are scale changes or not. It will tell you whether on a true plateau or not.

If you are already certain that you are in a true plateau, meaning that you are definitely eating in a calorie deficit but not losing weight (aside from water fluctuations), then I have bad news. A true plateau will just end when it ends. It will bring a big "whoosh" of weight loss when it ends as long as you stay consistent in a deficit, but it can't be forced to end... it is just going to require patience. Look forward to a huge loss in only a few days whenever it ends.

Wasn't aware of that. Thank you for your input. I will keep what you said in mind.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    In case you missed my question:
    LaceyBirds wrote: »
    OP, how tall are you and what is your current weight? I'm asking because the calories given by MFP to lose weight are based on height and current weight. Your 1500 calories may be too much depending on your height.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

You said upthread that it was something you were going to watch more closely. Now you say it's something that you have it correct and don't need to make any changes. It's comments like these that make many of us feel like every time we take a step forward in this thread we end up taking two steps backward.

At this point, I'm going to say that taking a diet break for a few weeks, clearing and resetting your MFP profile, and starting over from scratch may be your best option. That or seeing a new dietitian. Because the rest of us are just shooting in the dark and getting shot at by others in this thread (including you) at this point.
  • carnivalnights
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, if "tips and tricks" were all it took to lose weight, no one would come here asking for help. Maybe OP should try vegetarian. Or low-carb. Or IF. Or Paleo. I heard lemon water in the morning helps. Maybe more green tea? Maybe she needs to switch steady-state cardio for HIIT. You could spend your whole life trying to figure out which "tricks" will help any one person get to the correct calorie deficit.

Most of the questions in this thread have been trying to get a handle on the math involved, because ultimately it comes down to the numbers. I don't see anyone trying to be mean or bullying, but maybe that's just my perspective.

OP, I'm glad to hear you checked out your nutritionist fully, and again, I hope you figure this out!

It has already seemed like on this journey that a lot of this comes down to trial and error, which I hate, but that's why I am here... getting more ideas to try. Could be anything. Someone just said try taking an hour long walk every day. Who knows. That sounds like it could work for someone. Maybe that someone is me. Thanks for trying to help!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

You said upthread that it was something you were going to watch more closely. Now you say it's something that you have it correct and don't need to make any changes. It's comments like these that make many of us feel like every time we take a step forward in this thread we end up taking two steps backward.

At this point, I'm going to say that taking a diet break for a few weeks, clearing and resetting your MFP profile, and starting over from scratch may be your best option. That or seeing a new dietitian. Because the rest of us are just shooting in the dark and getting shot at by others in this thread (including you) at this point.

Agreed. I'd like to help, but everything has a rebuttal. I'm not trying to be rude, so I apologize if this comes across as such, but with 100 pounds to lose your body is not putting you in starvation mode or rebelling against what comes across as a low calorie diet. That's not a dig at you as a person; it's science. It just doesn't happen, especially being that overweight. The one poster in here who said it does has a history of claiming they've been in some extreme deficit yet plateaued for a long time and whenever they were called out on it they couldn't backup their claims. The fact of the matter is that you need to decrease your calories, whether they truly are 1500 or more due to user error. If you think you're eating 1200 to 1400 calories, try aiming for 1000 instead. You'll see a loss. Either that or exercise more.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

That wasn't even what I was referring to. Your snowflake comment alone takes the cake. You're also making assumptions about me and you don't even know me.

'special snowflake' is a commonly used phrase on MFP, i didnt think it was rude.

The fact of the matter is, whether I or anyone else posting knows you, we can make assumptions as in 99.9% of cases if a person is not losing weight it's because they're not eating in a deficit.
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    You may want to go on maintenance for a few weeks and come back to it. Give your body a break and see if that helps.
  • alrd69
    alrd69 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I learned this from my doctor, who also happens to be a great athlete. One thing is to do cardio, which is great for pulmonary capacity, and a different one for weight loss. Do at least 30min of elliptical, bike, treadmill, walk, etc. making sure you are breathing well with no problem. You need oxygen to loose weight. Also add wight lifting to your routine, not too much wight and lots of repetitions.
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    kendahlj wrote: »

Does the actual makeup of foods like rice and oats change when you boil it in water? What accounts for the additional 100 calories? Does dry rice weigh less than rice that's been cooked?

Rice absorbs water when cooked and water is heavy. Rice and pasta general double in weight when cooked (depending on the cook time). That water doesn't add more calories to the rice, but it sure changes how much it weighs.

Yes it weighs more, so why would weighing it cooked be 100 less calories? You'd log it as weighing more, which would calculate it as more calories, not less...