More plateau advice

Options

Replies

• RosslandMTBr
    RosslandMTBr Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are going through this. It sounds very frustrating. I kind of get your situation but to a lesser extent. I am on medication for post partum anxiety that has really messed with my weight (I.e. 30 lbs weight gain in a couple of months without changing my eating habits). I have been trying hard to lose the weight I gained from both the medication and being pregnant and have recently come to a bit of a stall 5 weeks ago. I spoke to my doctor about it and after him asking endless questions about my diet and exercise (and blood tests) he determined that I was doing the right things and that the medication was probably the issue. However, he also said that at this point the benefit of the medication far outweighs the frustration of difficult weight loss.

I also asked on a different forum for advice and got much of the same answers as you have received here and while I agree they all have shared great advice, if you truly are doing all you say you are doing, it really sucks if your maintenance calories are as low as it seems. For me, I simply am not willing to go down to 1200 calories or less a day in order to lose weight. I have kids to take care of and fitness goals that I simply would not be able to accomplish on so little food. In addition, that would effect my mental health too much to do so.

I don't want to give you too much advice because you have gotten a lot already but I will tell you what I am currently doing. Instead of focusing on the weight and the stress of not being able to lose, I have decided to focus on other things that are within my control. For instance, I am focusing more of my attention on how I am getting fitter and stronger. I am setting fitness goals for myself and putting plans In place so I will be able to achieve them. One day the scale will hopefully start moving again but in the meantime I know I am being the healthiest I can be. Also, I try to remember that being on a weightloss plateau is better than gaining weight.

Sorry your struggling. I hope you see some scale movement soon.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The most important "trick," once you have the CICO math right, is to stay the course. Just because you didn't lose weight today, or this week, doesn't mean you have to change something that you're doing. Just keep following the plan that has worked to date and the losses will come. This is a "trick" because so many people don't follow this one simple thing. B)
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    The most important "trick," once you have the CICO math right, is to stay the course. Just because you didn't lose weight today, or this week, doesn't mean you have to change something that you're doing. Just keep following the plan that has worked to date and the losses will come. This is a "trick" because so many people don't follow this one simple thing. B)

For most people, it's a simple formula of burning more calories than you eat. For others, it's more complicated. Whether it's hormonal, prescription pills related or something else, no matter how hard they try, they run into a wall. The thing is to rule out any health issues, and finding what works for them. For some people coming on here seeking advice, all I hear is "are you weighing your food?", and "are you logging correctly?", People should try to be a bit more understanding and realize that there are others who may not lose weight as easily as them.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    On the days I eat out, I plan for them. I eat less during the day so that I don't go over my calories. I eat at the same few places all the time (boring, I know) and use their nutritional data on their website. When I say not too extreme, I mean I am eating something around 600-700 calories as opposed to 300-400. Frankly, I usually get salads even when I eat out (which can be high depending on where you go but not usually the restaurants I frequent). But this all matters very little because I am still within my calories because I plan ahead and I track those meals out. I'm not cheating myself out of weight loss by not being honest with myself, believe me. No point after coming this far.

Restaurant website nutritional info can be off, especially as no two chefs will make a meal the exact same way. But their info can just be off anyway. I had breakfast at Ricky's on Sunday and looked it up on their site - they claimed something like 700 calories for a "Two by Five", which was two each of pancakes, bacon strips, breakfast sausages, eggs and toast. There is no way that lot was only 700 cals, and adding up the individual items (as sides) on their list came to more than that. (And apparently their pancakes are completely calorie-free...) It really is hard to log restaurant meals accurately!

You mentioned up-thread that you often go to Swiss Chalet. I haven't looked at their nutritional info, but I'd guess their food is pretty high in calories. They cook the chicken in its skin for a start, and who knows what else they add to their meals and sides. It's delicious, but it could also be a fair bit higher in calories than you think. :)

(I do realise you're trying your best to be honest and accurate in your logging, so I'm not trying to put you down... just pointing out that those meals might well be affecting your intake.)
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Bxqtie116 wrote: »

For most people, it's a simple formula of burning more calories than you eat. For others, it's more complicated. Whether it's hormonal, prescription pills related or something else, no matter how hard they try, they run into a wall. The thing is to rule out any health issues, and finding what works for them. For some people coming on here seeking advice, all I hear is "are you weighing your food?", and "are you logging correctly?", People should try to be a bit more understanding and realize that there are others who may not lose weight as easily as them.

Which is true except this poster specifically said they didn't have medical issues. Also, the fact of the matter is that most of the people who post that on here aren't logging correctly whether it's through underestimating their intake, omitting certain foods, logging half days, cheat days/meals that go unlogged or some combination thereof. The norm is not medical issues and for posters here to immediately suggest getting medical tests done before tackling the issues that make most users "plateau" would be irresponsible and senseless. Furthermore, there is quite a difference between someone stuck on the last 10 pounds who has hit a wall and someone who still has 100+ pounds to lose, but can't do so on such a low calorie amount like 1500. The Flowchart™ exists for good reason.
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I second the above of taking a break and eating up to maintenance for a week. Then jump back into your deficit and see if things start moving. That worked for me in the past when things would slow considerably.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

And, herein lies the magic to weight loss.

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I don't know. The op was successful for quite a significant period of time...I find it difficult to believe that all of a sudden she wasn't and didn't notice what changed. I do suspect portion creep because as they say 'when you hear hooves, think horses, not zebras' but...the idea that she can't pinpoint it does make me question, could it be medication, hormones, anything that leads to water retention?

That's why I thought a good walk every day. Get your blood pumping, up your deficit without lowering your intake, feel better in general. Assuming everything said here is correct and not wishful thinking, a doctor's appointment is definitely in order (sorry I'd you already mentioned it this thread is a little long now).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OP this is all i can come up with for you.
    1. Exercise more, go for an hour, or longer power walk every day.
    2. Use only USDA entries in your diary. Double check here http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search
    3. Weigh all meat, rice, pasta etc etc raw, and use raw weight entries
    4. Do not trust the weight/serving size on packaged items, weigh those too, and if using the scanner make sure it matches up to the label.
    5. Do NOT eat or drink anything that isn't accurately logged in your diary
    6. Drink plenty of water, this will help with water retention
    7. Set up a weight tracking app like Trendweight, Libra or happy scale. Weigh yourself first thing every morning and log your weight.

If you do all of these things to the letter and still don't lose any weight, then i got nothing.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    oolou wrote: »
    What RunRutheeRun said.

If you haven't lost any weight in months, nor gained it, then you are eating at maintenance. The calories you take in through food are the same as the calories you are expending through being alive, daily activity and exercising.

Now it may be that this seems unfair, that you feel you are not eating enough for it to be maintenance - but this does seem to be the case from what you are saying. And it may be that there is a medical reason for it or that you are one of the few who does have a slow metabolism, or another condition that means you have a very efficient body that does not need much food.

But even if that is so (and it may be), how would that impact you? Are you willing to increase your deficit more to lose more weight?

I agree. That's certainly what it seems like. I just don't know why or what to adjust to fix it given that I've already made so many adjustments. The reason I went through a nutritionist is because when I use weight loss calculators, the calories it tells me I need to be eating is obscene - anywhere from 2,000-3,000/day depending on what I enter as my goal weight. If I ate 3,000 calories a day, I'm pretty sure I'd blow up like a balloon, especially considering I am eating less than half that right now and not losing anything at all. How do I make good calls to these changes without using a weight loss calculator? Any tips?

It's just a matter of decreasing even more than advised. I'm of course willing to increase my deficit if that is what it takes.

To make a good call on changes for weightloss, use your own experience and stop using online calculators to determine your weightloss goals. Your experience is more accurate for you.

I would go back over the last 6 weeks and calculate your daily average calorie intake. Everything you have eaten and drunk, add it up then divide by the number of days. Now you know your daily maintenance calories.

Reduce it by 250 to lose half a pound a week.

Reduce it by 500 to lose a pound a week.

Be aware of the usual guidelines of not going below 1200 cals, as otherwise you won't be getting sufficient nutrition.

Good luck.

• carnivalnights
    carnivalnights Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    alrd69 wrote: »
    I learned this from my doctor, who also happens to be a great athlete. One thing is to do cardio, which is great for pulmonary capacity, and a different one for weight loss. Do at least 30min of elliptical, bike, treadmill, walk, etc. making sure you are breathing well with no problem. You need oxygen to loose weight. Also add wight lifting to your routine, not too much wight and lots of repetitions.

I work out at home but I do a mix of both cardio and weights. :)
  • carnivalnights
    Options
    Bxqtie116 wrote: »
    You may want to go on maintenance for a few weeks and come back to it. Give your body a break and see if that helps.

Well apparently I am already at maintenance. Haha. But thanks. A couple of others also suggested a "break" to reboot my body. It might be helpful.
  • carnivalnights
    Options
    If you are not loosing weight then you are not in a deficit. Its THAT simple. Ask yourself why you are not in a deficit and do something about it

Um, I'm trying to. That's why I'm here. I'm going by what my deficit was calulated to be and if it's not accurate that is not my fault and I need to know why and how to go about makingmaking a more accurate one. No need to be rude. I love how so many people say they're here to help and yet I've been spoken to disrespectfully by many here.

Just because people have asked you questions you find uncomfortable and haven't agreed that you're a special snowflake does not mean anyone has been 'disrespectful'.

You're one of them. So just stop with the snide comments. That's not why I'm here. I don't care about people agreeing with me. If you read my responses to other people you'd see I am open to what they are saying and trying to answer everyone's questions. What I don't want or need is rude remarks. Take your attitude and go in another thread.

I haven't been rude though. I asked you to open you diary... just because you don't want to doesn't make me rude...

That wasn't even what I was referring to. Your snowflake comment alone takes the cake. You're also making assumptions about me and you don't even know me.

'special snowflake' is a commonly used phrase on MFP, i didnt think it was rude.

The fact of the matter is, whether I or anyone else posting knows you, we can make assumptions as in 99.9% of cases if a person is not losing weight it's because they're not eating in a deficit.

So if a person is telling you they ARE eating at a deficit, the deficit that is set for them based on their other settings, perhaps the smart thing would be to assume their deficit is not high enough and not just assume they are necessarily doing something wrong.
    Maxematics wrote: »
    One misc thought: as to diary and choosing the right entries. This may seem basic, but do you weigh items raw and use raw entries in the database? Weight changes with cooking due to change in moisture levels so this could be an easy mistake to make.

Such as raw 5 ounces of chicken may be only 3.5 ounces after cooked. If you log 3.5 ounces for a raw database entry, you're logging less than consumed.

Good point! Most of the entries do not specify (meat usually does though). I weigh everything after cooking. Going to pay more attention to the entries and see if I can figure out if it's raw or cooked.

This is part of the problem then. All meat must be weighed prior to cooking. Same with pasta, rice, oats, etc. Every time this happens, you're logging at least 100 calories less than you actually ate.

The meat entries I use say cooked, which I already said, so that's what I'm using. It only matters if I am using entries that say raw but I'm weighing it cooked.

You said upthread that it was something you were going to watch more closely. Now you say it's something that you have it correct and don't need to make any changes. It's comments like these that make many of us feel like every time we take a step forward in this thread we end up taking two steps backward.

At this point, I'm going to say that taking a diet break for a few weeks, clearing and resetting your MFP profile, and starting over from scratch may be your best option. That or seeing a new dietitian. Because the rest of us are just shooting in the dark and getting shot at by others in this thread (including you) at this point.

Agreed. I'd like to help, but everything has a rebuttal. I'm not trying to be rude, so I apologize if this comes across as such, but with 100 pounds to lose your body is not putting you in starvation mode or rebelling against what comes across as a low calorie diet. That's not a dig at you as a person; it's science. It just doesn't happen, especially being that overweight. The one poster in here who said it does has a history of claiming they've been in some extreme deficit yet plateaued for a long time and whenever they were called out on it they couldn't backup their claims. The fact of the matter is that you need to decrease your calories, whether they truly are 1500 or more due to user error. If you think you're eating 1200 to 1400 calories, try aiming for 1000 instead. You'll see a loss. Either that or exercise more.

Um, nothing had a rebuttal. I laid out the things I have already tried in my original post, so repeatedly telling me to do something I have already tried is going to end with me saying I have tried that. It's not to argue. Other peoples' threads don't end up with so many people on the attack, so clearly a few people were just having a bad day when I posted this.
  • carnivalnights
    Options
    If you are not loosing weight then you are not in a deficit. Its THAT simple. Ask yourself why you are not in a deficit and do something about it

Um, I'm trying to. That's why I'm here. I'm going by what my deficit was calulated to be and if it's not accurate that is not my fault and I need to know why and how to go about makingmaking a more accurate one. No need to be rude. I love how so many people say they're here to help and yet I've been spoken to disrespectfully by many here.

Just because people have asked you questions you find uncomfortable and haven't agreed that you're a special snowflake does not mean anyone has been 'disrespectful'.

You're one of them. So just stop with the snide comments. That's not why I'm here. I don't care about people agreeing with me. If you read my responses to other people you'd see I am open to what they are saying and trying to answer everyone's questions. What I don't want or need is rude remarks. Take your attitude and go in another thread.

I haven't been rude though. I asked you to open you diary... just because you don't want to doesn't make me rude...

You are being kinda rude to her though.
    "Calling her a special snowflake ?

You have to respect that this OP doesn't want and has stated she doesn't want to open her diary.
    You can be as direct as you'd like but if you're intent isn't to make the OP feel bad just apologize for the miscommunication and move on.
    Sometimes we can read more into ones tone than what's there.

She's clearly going through a tough time can you give her a break?

Thank you. That was very nice of you.
  • carnivalnights
    Options

That wasn't even what I was referring to. Your snowflake comment alone takes the cake. You're also making assumptions about me and you don't even know me.

'special snowflake' is a commonly used phrase on MFP, i didnt think it was rude.

The fact of the matter is, whether I or anyone else posting knows you, we can make assumptions as in 99.9% of cases if a person is not losing weight it's because they're not eating in a deficit.

There may be issues you are not aware of, there may even be issues I am not aware of. So no, don't just assume. And if you are going to assume anything, assume perhaps my deficit should be higher. That isn't something I calculated myself and could be off for my body like others have said. Instead of being kind, you kept ranting about me opening my diary and then proceeded to insult me. I don't care if that phrase is commonly used on here - it shouldn't be because it's derogatory term that makes you appear condescending. I came here to get help because I am going through a rough time and need to find some answers. That is the bottom line. And all you've done is make me feel worse. So thanks.
  • carnivalnights
    Options
    One misc thought: as to diary and choosing the right entries. This may seem basic, but do you weigh items raw and use raw entries in the database? Weight changes with cooking due to change in moisture levels so this could be an easy mistake to make.

Such as raw 5 ounces of chicken may be only 3.5 ounces after cooked. If you log 3.5 ounces for a raw database entry, you're logging less than consumed.

Good point! Most of the entries do not specify (meat usually does though). I weigh everything after cooking. Going to pay more attention to the entries and see if I can figure out if it's raw or cooked.

This is part of the problem then. All meat must be weighed prior to cooking. Same with pasta, rice, oats, etc. Every time this happens, you're logging at least 100 calories less than you actually ate.

The meat entries I use say cooked, which I already said, so that's what I'm using. It only matters if I am using entries that say raw but I'm weighing it cooked.

You said upthread that it was something you were going to watch more closely. Now you say it's something that you have it correct and don't need to make any changes. It's comments like these that make many of us feel like every time we take a step forward in this thread we end up taking two steps backward.

At this point, I'm going to say that taking a diet break for a few weeks, clearing and resetting your MFP profile, and starting over from scratch may be your best option. That or seeing a new dietitian. Because the rest of us are just shooting in the dark and getting shot at by others in this thread (including you) at this point.

I said in the original post I do use the cooked meat entries. I said I wasn't sure about the others and I'd have to go back and look more closely. We were specifically talking about meat, and I know I am using the one that says cooked. So no, no need for correction there. That's not complicated.

Perhaps if people were a little nicer here and stopped nit-picking and going back to threads from 2015, we wouldn't be taking two steps back.
  • carnivalnights
    Options
    LaceyBirds wrote: »
    In case you missed my question:
    LaceyBirds wrote: »
    OP, how tall are you and what is your current weight? I'm asking because the calories given by MFP to lose weight are based on height and current weight. Your 1500 calories may be too much depending on your height.

Had to leave the forums yesterday for a period; was not ignoring you, sorry. Not comfortable posting my weight here. The calorie intake numbers were derived from a registered dietician based on her calculations. I've stated elsewhere in this thread, when using a regular weight loss calculator, the calories for my height and weight say to eat something obscene like 2000-3000 calories, which I am obviously not going to be doing for weight loss. So I have never been able to go by the average any sites calculate for me, including MFP. I saw a nutritionist fairly soon after I started using MFP and we changed the calories and macros after my first session because she said they were off. That's how I arrived at 1500, not from a calculator or MFP.

However, after everything in this thread, despite having negative results lowering my calories before, I am going to try that again and see what happens. The timing of this plateau is when I lowered my calories before, shortly after - that's when my weight loss got to a standstill. So I am hesitant but at this point it doesn't matter because the weight loss isn't happening now either!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    How did your nutritionist/RD come up with 1500 calories for you?
  • frannyupnorth
    frannyupnorth Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Do you walk much beyond 10,000 steps/day? When I've stalled in the past I've found that adding more walking, aiming for a higher step count, but not eating those calories back has given me the boost I need. The advantage is that you can do it for a reasonably long amount of time and it won't make you excessively tired or hungry unlike more intense exercise can.
    It's not a massive calorie burn (see https://www.verywell.com/walking-calories-burned-by-miles-3887154) but you can create a ~200cal/day deficit over a month by walking 2-3miles a day (up to an hour) depending on your current weight.
    As you lose more weight though you will have to go for longer to get the same burns. Actually, it's worth remembering that the calories out calculations are based on your weight, so if you have lost a lot of weight then the same duration of exercise at the lower weight can have a much lower burn now than it did at the beginning.

My only other thought is to take up a new activity; dance classes, ice skating, volleyball, something you haven't tried before that you've always fancied doing.

Good luck :smiley:
  • carnivalnights
    Options
    Do you walk much beyond 10,000 steps/day? When I've stalled in the past I've found that adding more walking, aiming for a higher step count, but not eating those calories back has given me the boost I need. The advantage is that you can do it for a reasonably long amount of time and it won't make you excessively tired or hungry unlike more intense exercise can.
    It's not a massive calorie burn (see https://www.verywell.com/walking-calories-burned-by-miles-3887154) but you can create a ~200cal/day deficit over a month by walking 2-3miles a day (up to an hour) depending on your current weight.
    As you lose more weight though you will have to go for longer to get the same burns. Actually, it's worth remembering that the calories out calculations are based on your weight, so if you have lost a lot of weight then the same duration of exercise at the lower weight can have a much lower burn now than it did at the beginning.

My only other thought is to take up a new activity; dance classes, ice skating, volleyball, something you haven't tried before that you've always fancied doing.

Good luck :smiley:

I like this suggestion. Thank you. :) Fairly easy to incorporate. I usually don't walk beyond 10k due to my work schedule so this will be a good way to try and boost my step count. I suck horribly at sports but I still like your activity suggestion! ;)