Criticised by a gym professional...

Options

Replies

• NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    He's rude.
    Please ignore idiots and do what you need to do to get your workout on!
    Jerks are everywhere.
    Good for you for going to the gym and doing something good for yourself.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You were not criticized by a gym professional, but an asshat. Seriously no one but *kitten* are thinking things like that, and they can go screw themselves. Most people don't notice you, and nice people are cheering for you. I agree that you should consider reporting him. How unprofessional.
  • kerrydensmore
    kerrydensmore Posts: 15 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    summamumma wrote: »
    Just my opinion, but I don't think overweight people should go to the gym, especially not those mega-gyms. Oh, the irony! The only time I have felt good there is when I was already in shape. I would never go there in my current state (60 pounds to lose). I don't workout outside for the same reason. People are mean and as hard as you try not to let it get to you, it still will be in the back of your mind. Getting in shape is hard and you need only positive voices around you, either at home or at a small gym with other overweight people.

If I don't go to a gym I will not work out period. I'm to lazy at home. I can't get motivated at home
  • MelissaHaseley
    MelissaHaseley Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The person who told me was my mother in law. She's pretty reliable. But I'm keeping my head up and not gonna let him or anyone else keep me from getting to my goal. Gonna focus on me and do me. Like all y'all said I need to ignore that kind of talk and just keep on track.

Lovely, humble lady, you don't answer to anyone but yourself. Some musclehead with a black heart is no competition for pure determination and aspiring to be the best you that you can be. Keep your head up, and be proud of yourself, there aren't too many people with the balls, will and support that you have. Karma will kick his *kitten* soon enough, so grant yourself a big smile and know that you are the better person.

Best wishes and hoping you achieve all your goals.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Don't listen to gossip and don't assume the story is true unless you saw/heard it happen. I question the motivation of the person who passed along this story to you. In what way did s/he think it was going to help you?

Absolutely this. Information gets twisted on the grapevine..

And screw negativity. Use to to fuel your workouts.
  • sohifirefly
    sohifirefly Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion, but I don't think overweight people should go to the gym, especially not those mega-gyms. Oh, the irony! The only time I have felt good there is when I was already in shape. I would never go there in my current state (60 pounds to lose). I don't workout outside for the same reason. People are mean and as hard as you try not to let it get to you, it still will be in the back of your mind. Getting in shape is hard and you need only positive voices around you, either at home or at a small gym with other overweight people.

If I don't go to a gym I will not work out period. I'm to lazy at home. I can't get motivated at home

I'm in the same boat - I won't do it at home so I have to go to the gym. Plus the variety of classes makes it fun. I have no rhythm but I LOVE Zumba and Cardio Kickboxing. Who cares what people think when they see me offbeat and sweaty? GO and MOVE YOUR BODY!

OP, I'm sorry that happened to you. Chin up, buttercup! Take in all the love you are getting here and be invincible!

***singing: Shoot me down but I don't fall....I am titaniuuuummmm!***
  • kerrydensmore
    Options

I'm in the same boat - I won't do it at home so I have to go to the gym. Plus the variety of classes makes it fun. I have no rhythm but I LOVE Zumba and Cardio Kickboxing. Who cares what people think when they see me offbeat and sweaty? GO and MOVE YOUR BODY!

OP, I'm sorry that happened to you. Chin up, buttercup! Take in all the love you are getting here and be invincible!

***singing: Shoot me down but I don't fall....I am titaniuuuummmm!***

Thank u for the encouragement!! I thot about doing Zumba but I have NO COORDINATION whatsoever. Lol
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Sorry about that happening to you - but don't you dare stop going to the gym. I started going at 244 lbs, 5'2" ! One day while walking to gym in my workout clothes this lady laughed at me while pointing and talking to her friend. I held my head high and kept stepping - but honestly even as I am typing this, the hurt is still there. But here is the flip side, I still see this woman, we work in the same building, I smile at her and to this day she will still hold her head down when we make eye contact.

Please use that energy from that hurt in the gym, or doing what every activity is going to make you a better and healthier person.

I won't pass judgment on the person who made the comment, there may have been more to that conversation, like .... but it's really good to see them still coming - who knows! But the person that shared that no help comment with you is the one to watch.

Stay strong, it is totally worth it!!!!
  • kerrydensmore
    Options
    Thanks to all y'all. It really helps to know I'm not alone in this!!
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

I think this is not good advice

Overweight people should go anywhere and do anything they damn well please, especially if that something is going to help them achieve a healthier life

I went to a gym overweight and now I'm not, I went knowing nothing and now I'm a regular ...I see overweight people at the gym and I think good on you, stick with it, you'll work it out and it's worth it. I see fat people killing it and I think feck the effort it takes to move that mass through space ..it would kick a fitter persons *aardvark*

So I have to say this approach would have been detrimental to my ability to succeed

Know you have as much right to be anywhere you damn well please as the next person

Agree 100%. Having been a fat person at the gym 3 years ago, and yes....it was intimidating......you shouldn't let anyone stop you. I admire others now who are in the position I was 3 years ago and try to smile, be friendly and offer help if and when they ask for it.

It's a gym. It's there for people to get in shape not only for people who are already in shape.

I admire you for sucking it up and going back. Who knows what or if anything was even said..........let it go!