Criticised by a gym professional...

Options

Replies

• druidkat7
    druidkat7 Posts: 691 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Okay, I'm going to put my two or three cents in about this whole thing, and hopefully, some of you will have another perspective to think about:

1) Hurtful words hurt. Period. To those of us who are truly sensitive, it hurts worse because we can feel the hurtful intent, not just the words themselves. This does NOT mean we should totally desensitize ourselves to the energy around us because our emotional sensitivity is part of who we are. And if there's bad energy, there's bad energy. Who the h3LL wants to exercise with someone around making everyone feel like crap? It's an unhealthy environment, and the personal trainer who said what they did, whether out loud at the gym or to the M-I-L, was just plain wrongheaded, let alone unprofessional, for having even thought it, let alone said it.

2) The personal trainer clearly has a poisonous, hurtful mind, with no clear intention of remembering what it was like (if they ever were overweight), to be in the OP's position. Thus, I do think the OP needs to complain to the gym staff, because as someone else said, if the personal trainer said this hurtful thing about the OP, he's probably saying it around other people. Where there is smoke, there is usually fire, and the personal trainer needs to have his *kitten* canned for unprofessional behavior. If it was me, I'd fire him. There's no room for hurtful words at a place where people go to get fit, and if the OP and her friend do not have any other place to go to really get fit and be around other people with the same goals, one rotten apple tends to spoil things.

3) If the OP does not say something to either the gym staff or the M-I-L, she IS letting the personal trainer win. She'd be letting him know he can get away with that s***. This guy is a bully, and he needs to be taught a very, very hard lesson. The M-I-L is no better for having been the bearer of the "news." I know all too well what it's like to be told to just suck it up and not say anything, "to be strong" and not to "let things bother you," even when it bothers me a LOT that people have the gall to be so f'ing cruel. So I really dislike it when others say that to people who really need to speak up for themselves but don't because they got told to shut up, suck it up and just ignore it. It's said that if you ignore a bully, they'll go pick on someone else, not you. But I also don't want the bully bullying anyone else. So I think something needs to be said to the a$$hat.

Rant over.

• DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Erik8484 wrote: »

What would OP say to gym staff exactly?

"My relative told me that Trainer, who has never acted or said anything inappropriate about me (or to my knowledge anyone else) at work, said negative things about me in the privacy of [op to fill out location]. I mean I'm not sure exactly what he said as i wasnt there, or if he said anything at all because it all came 2nd (3rd?) hand via my mother in law, but i want his gun and his badge by the end of the day!"

Yup.

Nobody needs 'justice' every time their feelings are hurt. AND Being hurt in doses can be very GOOD for folks.

Should I complain to the Gym staff the dumbbells make my arms hurt? C'mon grown-up, strong adults. Let's move past hurt feelings.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Who cares what some idiot thinks? No one needed to repeat those words to you, because they don't matter. You're the only person you need to please with your workouts.
  • pikselinka
    pikselinka Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Just don't care and do you own thing. You do it for you. If someone thinks it's funny let them think whatever they like, they probably suck anyway XD
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Would not say anything to the gym management.

Would carefully consider MIL's motivation to share this comment. I don't know her, so maybe it was innocent. But "crabs in a bucket" is real. My MIL is definitely not happy when I am skinnier than her. She brings tons of chips and junk into the house when she visits and says thing like "be careful not to eat too little...you'll make yourself sick." She was thin when she was younger and smoked. Now she eats junk all day and is heavy. Not my problem.
  • stircrzy
    stircrzy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Argh! People stink. When I was 26 years old and going to a gym I hired a personal trainer. He killed my self esteem and it took me years to figure out he was full of bunk. I was 5'6" tall and 130 lbs and in pretty good shape he told me I had 30% body fat. Ummmm no, he just didn't know how to use calipers. But he was a professional, and I looked at myself differently after that. Everyone has an opinion. Some we should listen to more closely than others. Especially when what they are saying doesn't make a lot of sense.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I agree with sued0nim. I had something a little similar happen. Years ago I went with a girlfriend to our first aerobics class. We were awkward because we didn't know the moves and struggled to follow. My sisterinlaw's BFF was in the class and told her how we stood out and were obviously new. Apparently they had a little giggle over our awkwardness. No harm done except that my sisterinlaw relayed all of this to me. With relish. In my view it was my sisterinlaw who was the bigger villain in this story. How could it possibly help me to hear that I was discussed in this way? Btw, that was the beginning of about a 10 year "aerobics queen" period in my life. I hope this is the beginning of your "gym rat" phase :smiley: .

This is exactly what happened. It was family making fun. But maybe it happened to make me stronger.

Sounds like you have a great attitude about this now. Really happy to hear that.

As to the family part, I'm reminded of a thread we had on here a few years ago about jerk things family members said/did over the Christmas holidays. This is a common discussion topic amongst my friends all year long. Rude or hurtful behaviour, that never seems to happen among your friends, seems to happen all the time among family. Is it that we have less defined boundaries? An extended sibling rivalry?

@DetroitDarin made the interesting comment "AND Being hurt in doses can be very GOOD for folks". I can think of more examples where it's harmful, but it's giving me some food for thought.

The way that family members are so much more likely to tease you or mock you than your friends would seem like it could be some kind of evolutionarily positive social order thing. Or not.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    summamumma wrote: »
    Just my opinion, but I don't think overweight people should go to the gym, especially not those mega-gyms. Oh, the irony! The only time I have felt good there is when I was already in shape. I would never go there in my current state (60 pounds to lose). I don't workout outside for the same reason. People are mean and as hard as you try not to let it get to you, it still will be in the back of your mind. Getting in shape is hard and you need only positive voices around you, either at home or at a small gym with other overweight people.
    I've helped many an obese person get down to an acceptable weight because of the gym. To me this would be like saying "don't go to football games if you're a band geek or a nerd because you won't fit in."

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    You were not criticized by a gym professional, but an asshat. Seriously no one but *kitten* are thinking things like that, and they can go screw themselves. Most people don't notice you, and nice people are cheering for you. I agree that you should consider reporting him. How unprofessional.
    And if this is the case, he is an *kitten* for saying it. Not professional at all.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    You need to confront him, but in a diplomatic manner and in private. Gossip is an ugly thing and often times, NOT TRUE. Before assuming that what you heard "through the grapevine" is true, give him a chance to either defend himself or explain himself.

If it is true, then he has zero business working in this industry. However, you're going for YOU and no one else. So stick those ear buds in and pretend like you're working out at 2a and there's no one there. :wink:
  • Robinvan38
    Robinvan38 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I find it very motivating to see someone older than I, or with more to loose. I think to myself...if they can do it, I can do it too; then I keep trying. Keep up the great work!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    OP must have a better MIL than I do. Every negative thing she's ever told my husband about ne or his dad is her opinion that she doesn't want to own. She doesn't know that he goes and asks people if they really said what she said and always had. She's a known manipulator and liar.

Even if her MIL is reliable, she was still passing on hurtful gossip and needs to be asked nicely not to do that. if the not-quite-relative said it just that way, no one had to pass it on to OP.

OP - I am glad you are persisting. It will get easier. I promise. Don't let other people's negativity hold you back. I listened to coworkers tell me that I needed to eat more for a year. They didn't like looking at my self control when they didn't have any. I never did eat more of what they wanted me to eat.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    OP must have a better MIL than I do. Every negative thing she's ever told my husband about ne or his dad is her opinion that she doesn't want to own. She doesn't know that he goes and asks people if they really said what she said and always had. She's a known manipulator and liar.

Even if her MIL is reliable, she was still passing on hurtful gossip and needs to be asked nicely not to do that. if the not-quite-relative said it just that way, no one had to pass it on to OP.

OP - I am glad you are persisting. It will get easier. I promise. Don't let other people's negativity hold you back. I listened to coworkers tell me that I needed to eat more for a year. They didn't like looking at my self control when they didn't have any. I never did eat more of what they wanted me to eat.
    This. I've seen this many times over in just family settings. Many times not malicious, but just little stabs of negativity.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Just my opinion, but I don't think overweight people should go to the gym, especially not those mega-gyms. Oh, the irony! The only time I have felt good there is when I was already in shape. I would never go there in my current state (60 pounds to lose). I don't workout outside for the same reason. People are mean and as hard as you try not to let it get to you, it still will be in the back of your mind. Getting in shape is hard and you need only positive voices around you, either at home or at a small gym with other overweight people.

I had 150lb+ to lose when I started going to the gym and I can't say that I noticed anyone doing anything other than their own thing for the most part. I had the occasional person tell me how well I was doing and that getting myself there in the first place was brilliant, but nothing else and I am very aware of how people react to me thanks to social anxiety. Now I've lost 90lb (and so only got 60lb to lose) I get more comments about how I'm an inspiration (really?) and how well I've done (to the point where I was roped in to talk to someone today in the same position I was in back in January, just starting out, to give him the confidence to come back).
  • kerrydensmore
    kerrydensmore Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Charis50 wrote: »

If I don't go to a gym I will not work out period. I'm to lazy at home. I can't get motivated at home

I'm in the same boat - I won't do it at home so I have to go to the gym. Plus the variety of classes makes it fun. I have no rhythm but I LOVE Zumba and Cardio Kickboxing. Who cares what people think when they see me offbeat and sweaty? GO and MOVE YOUR BODY!

OP, I'm sorry that happened to you. Chin up, buttercup! Take in all the love you are getting here and be invincible!

***singing: Shoot me down but I don't fall....I am titaniuuuummmm!***

Thank u for the encouragement!! I thot about doing Zumba but I have NO COORDINATION whatsoever. Lol

I hear you, believe me! I have two left feet.

Fortunately, you don't need to be "coordinated" to have a great time at Zumba. It's not about being a professional dancer; it's about getting out there, having some fun, and being active. If you're still thinking about it, give it a go!

As for the gym, I agree with other posters who are urging you not to give up. You have as much right as anybody else to work out at the gym. So go. And hold your head high! You've done absolutely *nothing* here to feel embarrassed about; in fact, I think that you should feel proud that you get out there and exercise, even when it's a struggle.

You inspire me.

Thanks for the encouragement.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I personally would take the story with a grain of salt. Me personally, if I were the person who was "told" this comment, I wouldn't have shared it. There was no reason to share it. I would have told that person to go slip on a banana peel and stop being so judgmental. But why tell my friend or family member something that might slow or ruin their progress?

My advice is to keep doing what your doing. Keep going to the gym and keep working out. Don't worry about anyone else b/c no one else is paying your bills or living in your body. So middle fingers up!