Help!

Options
My trainer has me on a cut where my breakfast macros are 3 oz protein/2 cups veggies/0 g fat/0 g carbs. Help! I cannot find an option that isn't gross. Tried a power greens casserole with egg whites=blech! Any ideas are greatly appreciated! I'm not a natural savory breakfast person.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Chicken and veg. Yum
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Is your trainer a nutritionist? Why absolutely no carbs or fat? That doesn't seem enjoyable. Does he hate you?
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Are there veggies that don't have carbs? And proteins that don't have fat?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't let anyone set you on anything unless they are a judge or a doctor. At the very least, get your trainer to give you a concrete meal plan with recipes.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    Are there veggies that don't have carbs? And proteins that don't have fat?

I agree with this, it would be next to impossible to hit zero on those categories. Minimal amounts of both depending on the veg/protein but carbs and fat would still be there to some degree.

Are you willing to swap a meal that the trainer chose for later in the day and use that to build your breakfast instead? That could solve your problem and still keep you on their plan.
  • tararooksby
    tararooksby Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Lol. I hope not. She has a degree in nutrition. I am meaning to ask her tonight why, because it has not been fun. The no carbs and no fat is only breakfast and lunch on training days. Lunch I can stomach. Breakfast not so much.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    diets are based on daily consumption. Timing of nutrients has no impact on that. Any honestly, dietary adherence is the most important thing. Having a breakfast with just protein, is almost impossible but not worth it.
  • tararooksby
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It's no additional carbs or fat outside the protein and veggies. So for instance the fat in ham doesn't count. But having an egg yolk would. I guess I'm looking for some ingredient and spice combos that aren't gross.
    Right now the timing is specific so no I can't swap one meal for another.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I think your trainer is making you do that because, in theory, it will make you burn off your fat reserves while adding muscle.

It sounds like your trainer wants you to eat a salad for breakfast.
  • tararooksby
    Options
    Yes, it's a significant cut plan, short term. I may just have to do that!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    I think your trainer is making you do that because, in theory, it will make you burn off your fat reserves while adding muscle.

It sounds like your trainer wants you to eat a salad for breakfast.

Not really how it works.

Tara, I would question why your training is telling you to follow specific nutrient timing schedules. Your body doesn't run on a clock and will continue to process foods and store/breakdown nutrients throughout the day.
  • psuLemon
    edited August 2016
    Options
    BTW, what plan does your trainer have you on? I saw your diary was set at 2k calories, 185c/p and the rest fat. Is that the plan?

In terms of the original question, it's mainly just egg whites or other lean meats.
  • tararooksby
    Options
    I will certainly ask. We've done several cuts that have worked very well but this is the most drastic. I've had trouble this week being creative with breakfast and having a choice that can be prep ahead.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    why can't you have fats or carbs for breakfast?

what matters is that you fill in your macros for the day, and the timing of when you get them does not matter.

• tararooksby
    Options
    No, MFP is not accurate right now. I don't use it during cuts. My cuts are not calorie specific, only macro specific. Without typing it all out.....Workout days are 3oz protein and 2 cups veg at every meal/snack, and carbs at afternoon snack and dinner. Casein, fat and carbs before bed. Rest days are 4oz protein, some carbs/no fat early in the day, no carbs/some fat late in the day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    OP you might want to hit the quote button to reply to specific comments
  • psuLemon
    Options
    No, MFP is not accurate right now. I don't use it during cuts. My cuts are not calorie specific, only macro specific. Without typing it all out.....Workout days are 3oz protein and 2 cups veg at every meal/snack, and carbs at afternoon snack and dinner. Casein, fat and carbs before bed. Rest days are 4oz protein, some carbs/no fat early in the day, no carbs/some fat late in the day.

Interesting.. a bit unnecessary but if it's working, then cool.

So you pretty much have chicken and veggies, or egg whites with veggies (maybe add some salsa on it to make it taster better).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

yes, but why?

when cutting you should keep protein at about .8 to 1 gram per pound of body weight; have fats at .45 grams; and then fill in with carbs or whatever you choose...

Macro timing is not important...what does matter is that you are hitting your ratios and doing strength training..
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

I will admit I've never seen a plan like the one you are describing before, so bear with me, but is meal timing an important part of this plan? If I had those parameters, I don't think I'd find much I would want to eat for breakfast either, as I'm also not a savory breakfast person. Can you postpone the first meal of the day until closer to the traditional lunch hour?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    It's no additional carbs or fat outside the protein and veggies. So for instance the fat in ham doesn't count. But having an egg yolk would. I guess I'm looking for some ingredient and spice combos that aren't gross.
    Right now the timing is specific so no I can't swap one meal for another.

This is really arbitrary. What exactly is different about the fat in an egg yolk that is different from the fat in ham?