Is there anything you don't bother to log?

I know the general consensus is to log every single thing that passes our lips, but is there anything you don't bother to write down?

I don't log vinegar, soy sauce, Tabasco, fresh and dried herbs, low calorie spray oil, spices, sweetener, diet soda like Coke Zero, and there's a certain brand of jerk paste I buy that doesn't have a nutrition label so I have never bothered to log that either. Also, sometimes if I'm prepping breakfast for the following morning I might lick the spoon after weighing out whatever I flavour it with, and I have never written it into my food diary.

I can't be the only one who does this?

Replies

• juliegilburd
    juliegilburd Posts: 145 Member
    Pretty much like you - spices, hot sauce, yellow mustard, vinegar. Also, unsweetened teas and coffees. When I'm being well-behaved with my logging, I log everything but these things.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    I don't log fresh herbs, spices, mustard, and other very low calorie items like that.

I can't imagine cooking without tasting what I'm doing, but don't log that unless it's a lot of something high calorie or an unusually high volume of tasting. A taste could be 1/8 teaspoon or smaller, and I'm not going to fuss over something minuscule like that. However, when I'm making potato salad, my tastes are much bigger, so I do guestimate that.
  • Pam_1965
    Pam_1965 Posts: 137 Member
    I don't log diet soda or the spinach I put in my egg scrambles.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    battyfitch wrote: »
    I know the general consensus is to log every single thing that passes our lips, but is there anything you don't bother to write down?

I don't log vinegar, soy sauce, Tabasco, fresh and dried herbs, low calorie spray oil, spices, sweetener, diet soda like Coke Zero, and there's a certain brand of jerk paste I buy that doesn't have a nutrition label so I have never bothered to log that either. Also, sometimes if I'm prepping breakfast for the following morning I might lick the spoon after weighing out whatever I flavour it with, and I have never written it into my food diary.

Does Soy sauce even have calories? Tobasco? Herbs and spices don't have calorie counts so I don't see why you would...diet drinks don't have calories either so I wouldn't see the point.

When I logged, I didn't log things that were zero calories...also, if I was just throwing a splash of hot sauce on something, I wouldn't have bothered logging that either.

I don't log anything anymore.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Water
  • hollygirl101
    hollygirl101 Posts: 93 Member
    Salsa, hot sauce, spinach, mushrooms, and other things that only add up to less than 10 or 15 calories. I'm usually under my daily calorie allotment anyway so a few un-logged calories aren't a big deal.
  • pizzafruit
    pizzafruit Posts: 317 Member
    If I have rye toast for breakfast, I use a drop of honey and log it once in a while just for the accountability. I used to lick and taste but I don't anymore only because it led to "cleaning up" after dinner. I don't log diet soda but I do log coffee when I use a tblsp. of flavored creamer.
  • battyfitch
    battyfitch Posts: 117 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    battyfitch wrote: »

Does Soy sauce even have calories? Tobasco? Herbs and spices don't have calorie counts so I don't see why you would...diet drinks don't have calories either so I wouldn't see the point.

When I logged, I didn't log things that were zero calories...also, if I was just throwing a splash of hot sauce on something, I wouldn't have bothered logging that either.

I don't log anything anymore.

Soy sauce is something like 9 calories a tablespoon, same with vinegar. Tabasco and other hot sauces are ridiculously low like 1 calorie a teaspoon, and it's the same with herbs and spices. Some diet sodas have calories as well. Coke Zero has 1 or 2 per can and I have bought some other diet drinks that are a few calorie per 250ml and there are days when I will drink 2 litres of the stuff, so it's not exactly zero calorie food but it's low enough that I don't see the point in logging it either.
  • AJF230
    AJF230 Posts: 81 Member
    Related note.... Coffee...I put 1% milk in my coffee and never bothered to check how much. its about 40 cal worth. 3/8 of a cup. A few days into MFP, I made sure I was logging that too.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Spices, hot tea
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,968 Member
    I don't log water and I don't always log spices. If something has calories I log it, if not then I don't.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Water, zero coke, salt(I don't track sodium) and pepper I do other herbs and spices because they can have some calories. I don't track tastes while cooking and I occasionally lick the knife (Nutella or peanut butter should not be left) that I don't log, I'm still losing so if that stops I may be stricter with myself.
  • kohrr
    kohrr Posts: 1 Member
    Zero-calorie things like black coffee, plain tea, or water. I also don't log gum or mints.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    vinegar or the peanut butter cups i occasionally sneak (only kidding); just the vinegar