Read this if you never want to eat pop-tarts again.

Options

Replies

• aubreykkkk
    aubreykkkk Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hey look another reason to go vegetarian :) LOL I've been a vegetarian for over 5 years but I just found out about gelatin a few years ago. It's really disgusting and wrong isn't it?!?!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Next gross idea: animal rennet, which I find disgusting in theory but it never stopped me from eating non-vegetarian cheese. :embarassed:
    Ha! I'd forgotten about rennet. Yeah, same here. I am a bad, bad observant Jew. :)
    Hey look another reason to go vegetarian :) LOL I've been a vegetarian for over 5 years but I just found out about gelatin a few years ago. It's really disgusting and wrong isn't it?!?!
    Neither disgusting nor wrong. At least, not as disgusting or wrong as the fact that processed foods are regulated in terms of how many insect parts and rat poops per unit volume are allowed into your food. :flowerforyou:
  • Christylee76
    Christylee76 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing..Geeze..No wonder half the population is sick and unhealthy..look what we eat and what we put in our bodies!!!
  • NoFatChick2
    Options
    The OP is only 22, so she's just catching up folks. :laugh: My favorite pop tarts are Strawberry followed closely by Brown Sugar Cinnamon....mmmm, mmmm, mmmm good!:heart:

Oh, can someone tell the OP about insects in our food supply?:laugh: :laugh:
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options

No it isn't. It's tasty and natural, and nothing goes to waste! Three good reasons not to go vegetarian! :tongue:
  • cbaac03
    cbaac03 Posts: 152
    Options
    Yup, I already knew this. I expected this to say something really gross and crazy. Now I just want a pop tart.
  • lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    Options
    I, to this day, crave non frosted cinnamon pop tarts..hard to find them.. it seems the frosted variety took over.Not real crazy about the crusty glazed stuff they put on the pop tart. Plain for me when I can find em. Or when they are not sold out. Ifigure calorie wise they are no worse than some things I could be eating.. however have by passed that shopping area to cut grocery costs and go for the more healthy areas first.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

No more "wrong" than eating steak, in other words, OK if you aren't vegetarian.
    I though this was common knowlege - what did you think gelatine was made from?

OS. I've never eaten a pop tart in my life - it's yet another one if those bizarre American "foods" I think.
  • Windchild
    Windchild Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I've known this for a very long time. I used to learn the weirdest things for my high school projects back in the day. :laugh: But I have to agree with what some of the others have said: I'd rather see as much of the animal used as possible instead of seeing parts go to waste simply because they're "icky."
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I was really hoping this would be something that would permanently deter me from my beloved raspberry frosted poptarts.....

bummer.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Fortunately...pop-tarts were never on favorites list...However if you ever find out any gross/disgusting information about Sara Lee Bakers or any other makers of frozen cheese cake or key lime pie...Please let me know...I would be most appreciative of having my stomach turned and getting that monkey off my back once and for all!
  • bamachyck3
    Options
    Yup, I already knew this. I expected this to say something really gross and crazy. Now I just want a pop tart.

My thoughts exacty!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    So what exactly is the problem? Other than the fact I have never even seen a pop tart IRL, of course.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Hmm...nope,still love em! *takes bite*
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Connective tissue jelly is my fav.... put a few beef shanks in the crock pot all day and let all the gristly bits break down. Gosh that makes some yummy gravy. I'm from a deeply rooted Native American background on my father's side. We use everything for everything. No parts go wastes even if we have to use fishbones as fertilizer (which I've done and grown some lovely yellow squash). Yes, pig skin sounds gross.... heck, I'm from the south, we fry that up and make snacks out of it. Yes, intestines sound gross.... again, we use that too for sausage or boudain casings. Now I want some boudain LOL
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I read this waiting for the gross out part, I've always known that jello is made from bone marrow...has been for 100 years. Just like hot dogs and bologna are made from all the leftover parts squished together. This is all a part of Zero waste. Many of my ancestors would kill a buffalo and would leave nothing for the wolves. If you knew what went into many foods you wouldn't eat them...
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    And that's the way geletin has been made for like... hundreds of years. Geletin and dyes being made from God's own creatures... much better than man made chemicals, right? Not that they don't throw those in the mix now anyway. How about not eating a poptart because of the 50 other ingredients you can't even pronounce??
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options

No more "wrong" than eating steak, in other words, OK if you aren't vegetarian.
    I though this was common knowlege - what did you think gelatine was made from?

OS. I've never eaten a pop tart in my life - it's yet another one if those bizarre American "foods" I think.

iv never tried to push my views on any one else all my otherhalfs have eaten meat and animal products and thats just fine .

geletine isn,t wrong as such its been that way for centuries when it comes down to food choices you have to live and let live all the facts are easier to get hold of nowadays and the internet is great so if you don,t want to eat something then don,t there is all kinds of rubbish in all foods and as one person put it we would never eat again if we knew half of it .so i will go and have my veggie sunday dinner i hope you all enjoy what ever your going to have
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    The OP is only 22, so she's just catching up folks. :laugh: My favorite pop tarts are Strawberry followed closely by Brown Sugar Cinnamon....mmmm, mmmm, mmmm good!:heart:

Oh, can someone tell the OP about insects in our food supply?:laugh: :laugh:

Ask and ye shall receive:
    The FDA regulates "food defect levels" meaning they set rates for how much of certain unintended things end up in the finished product. You can find out more here:
    http://www.fda.gov/food/guidancecomplianceregulatoryinformation/guidancedocuments/sanitation/ucm056174.htm#CHPTA

If you go to section 7. Commodities and Defect Action Levels, you'll see the defect levels listed. Here's the first one in the list:
    ALLSPICE, GROUND Insect Filth
    (AOAC 981.21) Average of 30 or more insect fragments per 10 grams
    Rodent filth
    (AOAC 981.21) Average of 1 or more rodent hairs per 10 grams

DEFECT SOURCE: Insect fragments - pre/post harvest and processing insect infestation. Rodent hair - post harvest and/or processing contamination with animal hair or excreta
    SIGNIFICANCE: Aesthetic

This means you can have 29 insect fragments and it's not considered a defect. Peruse the list of foods if you really want to freak yourself out. Oh, all you vegetarians, you may not be eating meat, but you are definitely eating insect parts, mammalian excreta, and mammalian hair. Food (HA!), for thought, huh?
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    This is why I have never eaten pop tarts. Being vegetarian is good for so many things!