Read this if you never want to eat pop-tarts again.

Options
Everyone know pop tarts are crappy junk food, but I learned something today that will encourage me to never eat another poptart should I encounter one. I knew jello was made from nasty stuff. Come to find out its a lot more then jello.

The back story: I'm from Iowa originally, and Iowa is known for two things, hogs and corn. Where there is hogs there is meat processing plants. My best friend just began working for one of these pig processing plant and he told me about something.

Companies go to every extent to use every part of the pig. This is where pop-tarts come in, the filling in pop-tarts contains gelatin, not so scary right? What if i told you that was pork gelatin? Yummy your pop-tart filling is made with gelatin that is derived from the hide of a pig. Yum. Other things that gelatin comes from skin, boiled crushed horn, hoof and bones, connective tissues, organs and some intestines of animals such as domesticated cattle, chicken, horses hooves, and pigs.

Products gelatin is use in?
Gelatin desserts, (like jello) trifles, aspic, marshmallows, and confectioneries such as Peeps and gummy bears. Gelatin may be used as a stabilizer, thickener, or texturizer in foods such as ice cream, jams, yogurt, cream cheese, and margarine; it is used, as well, in fat-reduced foods to simulate the mouthfeel of fat and to create volume without adding calories

Bits and pieces of what I wrote came from a web search, and were not written by me.

Who knew I could get pork while eating a pop tart?

Replies

• Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Oh and if that didn't make you squirm at all, look for the ingredient "Carmine" or natural red 4 used in food products and natural makes ups....its made from insects.

Yup that lipstick might be from boiled bugs, kind of cool huh?
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I get what the freak-out is about. I mean, that's why real meat-based soups will turn into jelly when refrigerated. Because boiling the meat causes the gelatin in the cartilage to dissolve into the liquid.

By the way, the gelatin in pop-tarts is used in the frosting, not in the filling. Which is why the mini pop-tart stick things are certified kosher but the full-sized ones aren't.

You forgot to include fish bones in your list of gelatin sources, by the way. :)
  • angeldove85
    Options
    Doesn't bother me- I eat meat and I prefer if companies DO USE as much as the animal instead of just certain parts and throwing the rest out. I'd rather have an animal product than some chemical "gel".
  • Aleluya17
    Options
    Delicious. I appreciate the correction that the gelatin is in the frosting and not the filling. I looked it up again and found you were correct. The fat that turns jelly later in foods like pot roast really grosses me out. It seems so much worse knowing that it's not just fat in the meat,but it is something derived from the "leftover" pieces of an animal. I'm sure it's the same reason I can't make myself eat hotdogs or sausage of any type.
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    being a vegetarian im very aware of the fact that alot of sweet products do use gelatin so i don,t eat them anyway The Vegetarian Society UK Info. Vegetarian Gelling Agents

http://www.vegsoc.org/Info/gelling.html

Gelatine is an unacceptable product to vegetarians as it is a by-product of the slaughterhouse industry, being made of protein derived from animal bones, cartilage, tendons and other tissues such as pigskin. Isinglass, used in fining some alcoholic drinks, is a type of gelatine from the air bladders of certain kinds of fish. Aspic is also unsuitable, as it is made from clarified meat, fish or vegetable stocks and gelatine.

However, there are various alternatives available, which do not contain any animal products whatsoever. These include agar agar, carrageen and a proprietary product called Gelozone.

Agar Agar (E406)

Probably best known to many as the culture growing medium used in petri dishes in school science laboratories! Also known by its Japanese name Kanten, agar agar is derived from the gelidium species of red sea vegetables.

For culinary purposes, it is available in different forms: bars, flaked or powdered, although in this country you are most likely to find it flaked or powdered only. Natural agar agar is unflavoured producing a firm, clear jelly and is rich in iodine and trace minerals and has mildly laxative properties.

The flakes are produced by a traditional method of cooking and pressing the sea vegetables and then naturally freeze-drying the residue to form bars which are then flaked for easier packing and transport. They are preferable to powdered agar agar which, although cheaper, may be chemically processed using sulphuric acid to dissolve the starches, and inorganic bleaches to neutralise the colour and flavour.

Agar agar has stronger setting properties and, unlike gelatine which requires refrigeration to set, it will set at room temperature after about an hour - although it is advisable to store dishes gelled with agar agar in the fridge as it is a high protein food.

The gelling ability of agar agar is affected by the acidity or alkalinity of the ingredients it is mixed with, also by factors such as the season of the seaweed harvest! More acidic foods, such as citrus fruits and strawberries, may require higher amounts of agar agar. Some ingredients will not set with it at all such as: kiwi fruit (too acidic), pineapple, fresh figs, paw paw /papaya, mango and peaches, which contain enzymes which break down the gelling ability (although cooked fruit seems to lose this effect), chocolate and spinach.

Flaked and powdered agar agar need to be used in different proportions, unfortunately many recipes do not specify which is being called for, but here are a few guidelines:

Powdered agar agar can be substituted for the same quantity of powdered gelatine in a recipe.

For every teaspoon of agar agar powder, you should substitute a tablespoon of agar agar flakes.

For a firm jelly you require approximately 2 teaspoons of powder or 2 tablespoons of flakes per 1 pint / 600ml of liquid.

Agar agar should be soaked in the liquid first for 10-15 minutes, then gently brought to the boil and simmered while stirring until it dissolves completely, this will take about 5 minutes for powder and 10-15 minutes for flakes. Unlike gelatine, agar agar can be boiled and can even be re-melted if necessary. If you are unsure as to the setting ability of your gel, test a small amount on a cold saucer - it should set in 20-30 seconds, if not you may need more agar agar, if too firm - add some more liquid.

Carrageen (or Carragheen)

Also known as Irish Moss, this dense, reddish purple seaweed grows in the temperate North Atlantic coastal waters around the West of Ireland, France and off North America's coastline. It is harvested and sun-dried which bleaches it to a yellowish brown colour. Rich in iodine and vitamin A, it produces a softer gel than agar agar.

Carrageen requires thorough rinsing before use. It needs to be soaked and then well cooked with the liquid to be set and does not dissolve completely. Carrageen Mould is a traditional Irish pudding made by soaking 1/2 z/10-15 gm carrageen in water, draining and adding it to 1 pint/600 ml of milk, bringing it slowly to the boil and simmering it for 20-30 minutes, straining it and allowing the strained mixture, which can be sweetened, to set on cooling.

Carrageenan (E407) is a by-product of carrageen and is used extensively as an emulsifying, thickening and gelling additive in ice creams, jellies, biscuits, milk shakes and frozen desserts, even in some cosmetics and medicines!

"Gelozone"

This is a proprietary product made of carrageenan (E407), locust (carob) bean gum (E410), guar gum (E412).

It does not set as firmly as agar agar and has a slightly cloudy appearance. Gelozone is also prepared differently.

1tsp / 5ml will set 1 pint / 600ml liquid. The powder should be sprinkled onto cold liquid, which is then very gently heated until just steaming, stirring all the time. Do NOT allow the mixture to boil or the Gelozone will not gel. It sets very quickly and requires refrigeration.

you will have to start reading labels and doing your research if it bothers you but for a meat eater i can,t understand your problem as most meat products like sausage rolls pork pies etc have heaps of rubbish not just meat if it can be used the meat indudustry will use it the worst is black pudding
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    Don't eat them, never had one. I thought it was pretty widely known that jelly (jello) is derived from animal product. You have to seek out the vegetarian alternative.
    Incidently I was watching a progrmme yesterday called The Supersizers Go 80s. They had a pack of pop tarts. I remember when they first came out, and the horror stories about burnt mouths from the molten lava inside! lol
    The idea of them makes me cringe!

Here's a clip of the programme where they tried it though! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC-63Xw8sCM
  • stephvaile
    Options
    Oh and if that didn't make you squirm at all, look for the ingredient "Carmine" or natural red 4 used in food products and natural makes ups....its made from insects.

Yup that lipstick might be from boiled bugs, kind of cool huh?

yes thats correct alot of mr kipling cakes use (Cochineal, this is beetles the natural one would be beetroot
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    Doesn't bother me- I eat meat and I prefer if companies DO USE as much as the animal instead of just certain parts and throwing the rest out. I'd rather have an animal product than some chemical "gel".

this.

pork is delicious.
  • Aleluya17
    Options
    being a vegetarian im very aware of the fact that alot of sweet products do use gelatin so i don,t eat them anyway The Vegetarian Society UK Info. Vegetarian Gelling Agents

http://www.vegsoc.org/Info/gelling.html

Gelatine is an unacceptable product to vegetarians as it is a by-product of the slaughterhouse industry, being made of protein derived from animal bones, cartilage, tendons and other tissues such as pigskin. Isinglass, used in fining some alcoholic drinks, is a type of gelatine from the air bladders of certain kinds of fish. Aspic is also unsuitable, as it is made from clarified meat, fish or vegetable stocks and gelatine.

However, there are various alternatives available, which do not contain any animal products whatsoever. These include agar agar, carrageen and a proprietary product called Gelozone.

Agar Agar (E406)

Probably best known to many as the culture growing medium used in petri dishes in school science laboratories! Also known by its Japanese name Kanten, agar agar is derived from the gelidium species of red sea vegetables.

For culinary purposes, it is available in different forms: bars, flaked or powdered, although in this country you are most likely to find it flaked or powdered only. Natural agar agar is unflavoured producing a firm, clear jelly and is rich in iodine and trace minerals and has mildly laxative properties.

The flakes are produced by a traditional method of cooking and pressing the sea vegetables and then naturally freeze-drying the residue to form bars which are then flaked for easier packing and transport. They are preferable to powdered agar agar which, although cheaper, may be chemically processed using sulphuric acid to dissolve the starches, and inorganic bleaches to neutralise the colour and flavour.

Agar agar has stronger setting properties and, unlike gelatine which requires refrigeration to set, it will set at room temperature after about an hour - although it is advisable to store dishes gelled with agar agar in the fridge as it is a high protein food.

The gelling ability of agar agar is affected by the acidity or alkalinity of the ingredients it is mixed with, also by factors such as the season of the seaweed harvest! More acidic foods, such as citrus fruits and strawberries, may require higher amounts of agar agar. Some ingredients will not set with it at all such as: kiwi fruit (too acidic), pineapple, fresh figs, paw paw /papaya, mango and peaches, which contain enzymes which break down the gelling ability (although cooked fruit seems to lose this effect), chocolate and spinach.

Flaked and powdered agar agar need to be used in different proportions, unfortunately many recipes do not specify which is being called for, but here are a few guidelines:

Powdered agar agar can be substituted for the same quantity of powdered gelatine in a recipe.

For every teaspoon of agar agar powder, you should substitute a tablespoon of agar agar flakes.

For a firm jelly you require approximately 2 teaspoons of powder or 2 tablespoons of flakes per 1 pint / 600ml of liquid.

Agar agar should be soaked in the liquid first for 10-15 minutes, then gently brought to the boil and simmered while stirring until it dissolves completely, this will take about 5 minutes for powder and 10-15 minutes for flakes. Unlike gelatine, agar agar can be boiled and can even be re-melted if necessary. If you are unsure as to the setting ability of your gel, test a small amount on a cold saucer - it should set in 20-30 seconds, if not you may need more agar agar, if too firm - add some more liquid.

Carrageen (or Carragheen)

Also known as Irish Moss, this dense, reddish purple seaweed grows in the temperate North Atlantic coastal waters around the West of Ireland, France and off North America's coastline. It is harvested and sun-dried which bleaches it to a yellowish brown colour. Rich in iodine and vitamin A, it produces a softer gel than agar agar.

Carrageen requires thorough rinsing before use. It needs to be soaked and then well cooked with the liquid to be set and does not dissolve completely. Carrageen Mould is a traditional Irish pudding made by soaking 1/2 z/10-15 gm carrageen in water, draining and adding it to 1 pint/600 ml of milk, bringing it slowly to the boil and simmering it for 20-30 minutes, straining it and allowing the strained mixture, which can be sweetened, to set on cooling.

Carrageenan (E407) is a by-product of carrageen and is used extensively as an emulsifying, thickening and gelling additive in ice creams, jellies, biscuits, milk shakes and frozen desserts, even in some cosmetics and medicines!

"Gelozone"

This is a proprietary product made of carrageenan (E407), locust (carob) bean gum (E410), guar gum (E412).

It does not set as firmly as agar agar and has a slightly cloudy appearance. Gelozone is also prepared differently.

1tsp / 5ml will set 1 pint / 600ml liquid. The powder should be sprinkled onto cold liquid, which is then very gently heated until just steaming, stirring all the time. Do NOT allow the mixture to boil or the Gelozone will not gel. It sets very quickly and requires refrigeration.

you will have to start reading labels and doing your research if it bothers you but for a meat eater i can,t understand your problem as most meat products like sausage rolls pork pies etc have heaps of rubbish not just meat if it can be used the meat indudustry will use it the worst is black pudding

This was helpful and factual.
  • stephvaile
    Options
    because i have been veggie for alot of years in order to get all i need i had to research it is often the things you don,t expect that are not veggie like muller yogurts now im not saying iv never eaten anything animal as some times you just don,t know whats in them like when you buy from a bakery and there is no info or eating out and for years i didn,t realise yogurts had it in everyday vitamins are coated in gelatin thats wat makes them cheaper .

if people enjoy that sort of food then y not if it fits in there daily cals but if you are wanting to change to become a veggie or vegan then you have to look things up and read labels .
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Wait until the OP finds out where silk really comes from!
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I knew that - I think it's just common knowledge in the UK. It's why vegetarians don't eat gummy sweets. I'm not vegetarian so it doesn't bother me. I love gummy sweets. However, I've never liked pop-tarts, so won't be eating them anyway!
  • mirandamayhem
    Options

pooor worms having stuff pulled out of their bottoms :sad:
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    We also have Percy Pig gummy sweets in the UK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Pig), and the packaging and advertising is very open and positive about the fact that they use real pork gelatin, rather than vegetarian alternative, and so actually contain real pig! :-) You can also get a vegetarian version though.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me hungry for bacon and pork chops...
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I love pork...kinda makes me wanna eat a poptart now. :wink:
  • ForeverIrish
    ForeverIrish Posts: 232 Member
    Options

pooor worms having stuff pulled out of their bottoms :sad:

Good grief. I have to learn not to read posts right after getting out of bed. I thought you meant Silk, the soy milk.
  • myrydythg
    Options
    *walks to kitchen and grabs poptart* :love:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Where did you think gelatin came from? I suppose jello is now off your list too? :laugh: :laugh:
  • rocksyraeis
    Options
    .....your a heartless monster :cries: youve ruined poptarts for me! (ripes doen pictures of poptarts, throws out full boxes of poptarts cries into pillow)