Read this if you never want to eat pop-tarts again.

Options

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Doesn't bother me- I eat meat and I prefer if companies DO USE as much as the animal instead of just certain parts and throwing the rest out. I'd rather have an animal product than some chemical "gel".

THIS.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Gelatin is probably one of the more nutrient-rich components of a Pop Tart. Protein, peptides, no fat.

I'm vegan, don't eat 'em. Jus' saying.
  • enigrebua
    enigrebua Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Doesn't bother me- I eat meat and I prefer if companies DO USE as much as the animal instead of just certain parts and throwing the rest out. I'd rather have an animal product than some chemical "gel".

Wholeheartedly agree.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    You're finding this out now? I haven't eaten meat for ten years and I know what gelatin is.

I haven't eaten a pop tart since I was a little kid anyway, partly because of the vegetarianism, but also because the thought of eating something that sugary first thing in a morning makes me want to hurl now. My preferences clearly have changed since I was a child.
  • glenette1
    glenette1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating poptarts the day I vomited them up 10 hours later and they looked EXACTLY the same as when I ate them. That's what did it for me. lol
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Me too, doesn't really bother me. A lot of delicacies are made up of poor-man food: offal. If you're a meatarian, it's less wasteful to use all the animal parts.

Beef or chicken stock is made from bones & connective tissue (roasting bits like the neck & wings etc...) - no one freaks out about that.

this.

pork is delicious.

Yes, would have to agree. Though I do not like Pop Tarts so that isn't an issue. Used to be more of a toasted struedle person myself.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Great post, Stephvale!
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I hate that they have denatured all the delicious pork goodness and turned it into sweet breakfast nonsense. Sounds like something from "Chopped." Next time, just smoke the pig bits, and call it bacon!
  • realia
    realia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of that time I found out about this in the 3rd grade. During lunch, a lot of the kids had lunchables and it came with jello. One day, this kid yelled "JELLO IS MADE OUT OF PIG," and everyone went, "EWWWWW!!!!" And then we spent the rest of the day talking about how certain foods have insects in them and rat parts. Haha.

I stopped caring what gelatin was made of because I eat pork sometimes anyways. I would care if I was a vegetarian or a vegan, but I don't see many vegans eating Pop-Tarts and Jello.
  • RedBullLiz
    RedBullLiz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my!!

::pulls hair in frustration::

AHH!! Why?! I've always loved the s'mores and the brown cinnamon sugar ones.
    Of course, I haven't ate them anymore because I OVER ATE them at some point.
    But this definitely cut it out my faves list.
    GAH!!

But hey, I think I heard the same thing about twinkies.
    So crazy because I was JUST talking about this last night!!
    I just couldn't remember what the nasty part was.

Thanks for the reminder!!
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the post. Now I want pop tarts and will petition the company to start making bacon flavored pop tarts.

I know, right? Interestingly enough, I had this very conversation with my family last night. We came to the conclusion that there's some company making a toaster pastry thing that has eggs and bacon in it already, so maybe they figured the market's already saturated...
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Ditto here. I was hoping something gross to turn me off poptarts, but I'll still avoid them for the empty calories.

Our society has become altogether far too prissy about food. We are too used to everything being served up in a package in the supermarket - completely disconnected from how the food was produced.

We also have become far too ignorant about where our food comes from. I saw some shocking things on Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution that kids going through school now have no clue where their food comes from. Given three choices, obviously the real place a food comes from, and two other choices that were quite silly, this is what some of the high school students picked:

1. Butter is made from sweet corn.
    2. Corn dogs grow on a plant.
    3. Chocolate comes from a cocoa lake.
    4. Honey is made by bears.
    5. Guacamole is made from apples.
    6. Cheese comes from macaroni

I find it quite surprising that some people have no idea what dairy food are and that they come from a cow. I'm not surprised at all that the OP didn't know where gelatin comes from at 22, but good for her for educating herself on what's in her food.
  • Redtango76
    Redtango76 Posts: 144
    Options
    I'm really not bothered by this ...its nothing new and happened long before processing plants were around . I eat thing like Kimchi too. You will probably be grossed out by how that's made ... I do understand educating vegetarians on this sort of thing because can undermines their eating practices and sometimes violates their religious beliefs .
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

this.

pork is delicious.

yep this
    I always new what is gelatine
    my mom explained to me when i was 5 that the jello I love so much is made of the same stuff we have in our knees, she said its maid of horse joints or sth, It's good for you, it reall food, and it's actually usefull for your body
    eat jello!
  • Redtango76
    Redtango76 Posts: 144
    Options
    Ditto here. I was hoping something gross to turn me off poptarts, but I'll still avoid them for the empty calories.

Our society has become altogether far too prissy about food. We are too used to everything being served up in a package in the supermarket - completely disconnected from how the food was produced.

We also have become far too ignorant about where our food comes from. I saw some shocking things on Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution that kids going through school now have no clue where their food comes from. Given three choices, obviously the real place a food comes from, and two other choices that were quite silly, this is what some of the high school students picked:

1. Butter is made from sweet corn.
    2. Corn dogs grow on a plant.
    3. Chocolate comes from a cocoa lake.
    4. Honey is made by bears.
    5. Guacamole is made from apples.
    6. Cheese comes from macaroni

I find it quite surprising that some people have no idea what dairy food are and that they come from a cow. I'm not surprised at all that the OP didn't know where gelatin comes from at 22, but good for her for educating herself on what's in her food.

I agree with both of these statements . I too watched the Jaime Oliver show and was stunned by the answers !
  • jazzedorange
    jazzedorange Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I learned about gelatin and food dyes and where they come from when I was in school. Granted this was back in the 80' and early 90's, so maybe they have taken this out of the food education part or possibly just not taught in certain parts of the country/world. My kids don't eat pop-tarts, jelly, peeps or jell-o. We do eat campfire marshmallows and a few other things that do contain gelatin. So many things you just can't completely get away from but just need to be aware of what you are eating. I do agree with other posts about eating things that contain ingredients from animals then chemical bi-products.

It is funny when I bake and have to use food dye. My kids tease each other that they are eating bugs! LOL! But as far as I know, they do not use bug juices.... LOL... from coloring anymore, but... I could be mistaken :)
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    In England we cook the pork skin and make it crunchy, mmmmmmm, pork scratchings, this is no different, use the whole animal I say.
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    None of that bothers me. It kind of makes me happy that every part of a pig is getting used. It would be pretty wasteful if all we had was bacon. Bugs don't bother me, either. Not that I'm going to settle down with a bowl of beetles, but crabs and lobsters are really just giant sea spiders.

The fact that ONE tart is supposed to be a meal is what bothers me. :noway:

However, I can't bring myself to buy my dog a bully stick.

The fact that one poptart is supposed to be a meal is what bothers me, too. lol When I actually started to pay attention to serving sizes and noticed only one is a serving, I was baffled. lol Who eats only ONE poptart & gets full? lol
    I already knew about gelatin and will continue to eat my yummy poptarts! I have been meaning to make my own poptarts though. I think it could be fun.
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    In England we cook the pork skin and make it crunchy, mmmmmmm, pork scratchings, this is no different, use the whole animal I say.

Did you watch Oz and Hugh in their quest to create the perfect pub, going to the pork scratching factory? They don't use nipples! What a waste :noway:

:laugh:
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Doesn't bother me at all. Gelatin is in many things. I'm not vegan, bring on the meat!