Read this if you never want to eat pop-tarts again.

Options

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Oh and if that didn't make you squirm at all, look for the ingredient "Carmine" or natural red 4 used in food products and natural makes ups....its made from insects.

Yup that lipstick might be from boiled bugs, kind of cool huh?

What annoys me is that it is listed as a natural food colouring, when it is produced by a horribly chemical process and causes massive behavioural problems in children. It makes my son really ill.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Other things that gelatin comes from skin, boiled crushed horn, hoof and bones, connective tissues, organs and some intestines of animals such as domesticated cattle, chicken, horses hooves, and pigs.

Sounds good to me. It's all meat.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    No big news flash there. It's only a big deal if you are vegetarian!

There was a time when people would use every bit of the animal.. that was before large processing plants.
  • mfkn_Titanium
    Options
    I've always been told that gelatin is good for joints. So as far as I'm concerned - I need to be eating pop tarts everyday now! :D
    (Coming from the girl who has two dishes of jello in her fridge...nom nom nom!)

Man, I'd better stop eating veggies and fruit - you know, animals and insects POOP on that stuff. *zomg*
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Toaster Strudel it is! :laugh:
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    It's called "not wasting anything".

Try eating black pudding. It's basically oats, barley, pig fat, and pigs blood. And it's pretty tasty.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I thought this was common knowledge--what gelatin is made from, that is. Or maybe that's just me since I've been vegetarian for 18 years? I haven't had Yoplait yogurt, Starburst candy, marshmallows, Jello shots, and many other things in so long due to the fact that gelatin is on the list of ingredients. I would never even consider eating a Pop Tart, because that's just fake garbage, and I prefer to provide real food for my body. I know I ate them as a kid though. Definitely do not miss them.

*shrugs*
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    I'd eat bug paste that was used to dye foods. Gelatin is cool too, it's clean. Don't mind a bit of pink slime either. Portions make you fat, and companies lying about content, not pink slime.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    More Pop Tarts for me!
  • xX_YouHadMyHeart_Xx
    Options
    g
  • MissPatty584
    MissPatty584 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    The OP is only 22, so she's just catching up folks. :laugh: My favorite pop tarts are Strawberry followed closely by Brown Sugar Cinnamon....mmmm, mmmm, mmmm good!:heart:

Oh, can someone tell the OP about insects in our food supply?:laugh: :laugh:

Ask and ye shall receive:
    The FDA regulates "food defect levels" meaning they set rates for how much of certain unintended things end up in the finished product. You can find out more here:
    http://www.fda.gov/food/guidancecomplianceregulatoryinformation/guidancedocuments/sanitation/ucm056174.htm#CHPTA

If you go to section 7. Commodities and Defect Action Levels, you'll see the defect levels listed. Here's the first one in the list:
    ALLSPICE, GROUND Insect Filth
    (AOAC 981.21) Average of 30 or more insect fragments per 10 grams
    Rodent filth
    (AOAC 981.21) Average of 1 or more rodent hairs per 10 grams

DEFECT SOURCE: Insect fragments - pre/post harvest and processing insect infestation. Rodent hair - post harvest and/or processing contamination with animal hair or excreta
    SIGNIFICANCE: Aesthetic

This means you can have 29 insect fragments and it's not considered a defect. Peruse the list of foods if you really want to freak yourself out. Oh, all you vegetarians, you may not be eating meat, but you are definitely eating insect parts, mammalian excreta, and mammalian hair. Food (HA!), for thought, huh?

PEANUT BUTTER Insect filth
    (AOAC 968.35) Average of 30 or more insect fragments per 100 grams
    Rodent filth
    (AOAC 968.35) Average of 1 or more rodent hairs per 100 grams
    Grit
    (AOAC 968.35) Gritty taste and water insoluble inorganic residue is more than 25 mg per 100 grams

DEFECT SOURCE: Insect fragments - preharvest and/or post harvest and/or processing insect infestation, Rodent hair - post harvest and/or processing contamination with animal hair or excreta, Grit - harvest contamination
    SIGNIFICANCE: Aesthetic

Mmmmm.... peanut butter.....
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Gelatin is a protein.... so why are you surprised it comes from animal sources? That's common sense.
  • Kiewilbfit
    Options
    Thank you for this, I swore never to eat pork again back in January but was unaware of the ingredients in pop tarts. I have not had a pop tart in a few months and thanks to reading this I will never eat them again. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Gross, maybe. But not bad for you.
  • drwgal
    drwgal Posts: 66
    Options
    I was reading through this even though I and my children do not eat pop tarts anymore. I agree with the other poster who said that they rather have the whole animal used when foods are processed. However, The gelatin does not just come from pigs. It can come from horses, and other hoofed animals too, which being an avid horse rider and trainer, I try to stay away from gelatin as much as possible. I'm not completely against the slaughter of horses for consumption, but that doesn't mean I want to eat one lol. And there are a lot more foods out there that use gelatin than we think. But I avoid it at all costs. I'm not against anyone who eats it, it's just my choice :)
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    I was really hoping this would be something that would permanently deter me from my beloved raspberry frosted poptarts.....

bummer.

Me too. Oh well. Looks like I'll have a pop tart then.
  • bratius
    bratius Posts: 60
    Options
    I love pork...kinda makes me wanna eat a poptart now. :wink:
  • Nfairley
    Nfairley Posts: 84
    Options
    I'm an odd woman. Things like this just make me want a hot, gooey poptart...
    But they're about 200 cals per pastry, so no thank you!
  • dwilkerson89
    Options
    Is it bad that ,regardless of this story, I really want some gummi bears post-workout now? Nah it's not, pork is awesome.
  • willia123
    willia123 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    big whoop