Read this if you never want to eat pop-tarts again.

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    None of that bothers me. It kind of makes me happy that every part of a pig is getting used. It would be pretty wasteful if all we had was bacon. Bugs don't bother me, either. Not that I'm going to settle down with a bowl of beetles, but crabs and lobsters are really just giant sea spiders.

The fact that ONE tart is supposed to be a meal is what bothers me. :noway:

However, I can't bring myself to buy my dog a bully stick.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Wait until the OP finds out where silk really comes from!

pooor worms having stuff pulled out of their bottoms :sad:

Good grief. I have to learn not to read posts right after getting out of bed. I thought you meant Silk, the soy milk.

Me too. :laugh:
  • ashleen7
    ashleen7 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Mmm... Poptarts!!
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    as a vegetarian I knew about gelatin...hence, anything containing gelatin I don't eat
  • ClareRae
    ClareRae Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If people knew the truth about most of the food they regularly ate, they'd starve to death.
  • mrshoneydew
    Options
    I am also a vegetarian, and learned about Gelatin years ago. It was crazy to find out that so many things have it. Cheap sour cream, yogurts (greek is usually ok), starburst, skittles, pop tarts, some deli macaroni salads, etc....

If you want your pop tart fix, try Nature's Path Organic Toaster Pastries. They come in many yummy fruit flavors, are gelatin free, and are sold at most grocery stores. :)
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Also a vegetarian and know about gelatin. I learned from a vegetarian friend many years ago when i still ate meat but then again, it didn't stop me from eating gelatin.

I've never had a pop tart either though.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Where did you think gelatin came from? I suppose jello is now off your list too? :laugh: :laugh:

That's what I want to know. headdesk.gif

Oh, you forgot homemade preserves.

I don't eat Pop-Tarts because they quit making (or rather, delivering to Newfoundland) the apple cinnamon ones.
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    Wait until the OP finds out where silk really comes from!

pooor worms having stuff pulled out of their bottoms :sad:

Good grief. I have to learn not to read posts right after getting out of bed. I thought you meant Silk, the soy milk.

Me too. :laugh:

Oops! sorry!

Poor soy beans being cruelly plucked before their time!:sad:
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    during a downturn in the economy back in the early 90's I had to do a couple years work at a chicken processing plant and learned they ground up lots of stuff you wouldn't think to eat to add protein or gelatin or "flavor" to other foods such as bone and cartilage for baby food and most nuggets are more then meat they also include skin which is something I never cared for even if crispy. Even in vegetable processing plants, veggies get graded and the stuff you wouldn't pick to buy in a grocery store often gets used in other products. Think of pineapple, there is only one processing plant in the country, Dole's yet we have several brands because once they use the grade A stuff they sell the lesser grades to other labels. Using as much if not all of a product is actually a good way to keep overall prices down and as some other poster said I'd rather have a natural (even meat based) gelatin then a chemical one.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Oops! sorry!

Poor soy beans being cruelly plucked before their time!:sad:

Oh the humanity! :cry:
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Regardless if there is gelatin in it or not......all the other unhealthy garbage in them keeps me from eating them. The long list of ingredients is a no brainer as far as how healthy they are. Besides, if people want to eat them they will no matter what's in them.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Doesn't bother me- I eat meat and I prefer if companies DO USE as much as the animal instead of just certain parts and throwing the rest out. I'd rather have an animal product than some chemical "gel".

Agreed. This is not a surprise to me at all, I've seen this before, and there is A LOT more stuff out there with animal by products in them. You'd have to stop eating an awful lot of foods to eliminate animal by products from your diet.
  • suegmune
    suegmune Posts: 81
    Options
    Doesn't bother me- I eat meat and I prefer if companies DO USE as much as the animal instead of just certain parts and throwing the rest out. I'd rather have an animal product than some chemical "gel".

Agreed. I live less than 1/2 hour from where Jello was created. Its no big deal to me.

Vegetarians -- don't want it, don't eat it, i don't care. I don't know why many of you are vegetarians anyways. To each is own.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Next gross idea: animal rennet, which I find disgusting in theory but it never stopped me from eating non-vegetarian cheese. :embarassed:
  • Ray50296
    Ray50296 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    thanks for that information! I did not know this :frown:
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I learned from a vegan friend that animal bones are sometimes used to refine sugar.
  • Ray50296
    Ray50296 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If people knew the truth about most of the food they regularly ate, they'd starve to death.
    you are right about that! My father used to work at a pork processing plant....I know some of these things, but it still doesn't stop me from eating them...Even if some of these are gross
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    if i'm eating meat, i'm going to not care. the poor pig died and we get all picky about which part to eat.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Blood pudding is made with pig blood...... tasty tasty pig blood.