Read this if you never want to eat pop-tarts again.

Options

Replies

• aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Doesn't bother me- I eat meat and I prefer if companies DO USE as much as the animal instead of just certain parts and throwing the rest out. I'd rather have an animal product than some chemical "gel".

^^^This^^^
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Not sure I see your point. You listed some pretty good survival foods in your post, OP. if its just taste you're concerned with, I'd say that's just kind of a western-centric way of thinking.

Pass the pig hide please :)
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I remember in elementary school, I was eating jello and some kid was like "did you know jello is made out of HORSE HOOFS!?!" Much like you, I was disgusted and swore off the stuff.

Later on I found out gelatin was also in marshmallows. Then I was like, screw this, I'm not giving up that *kitten*. Back to jello eating I go.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I was watching The Doctors last night and they said that fake raspberry flavoring is made from beaver anal gland excretion. Yum!

I'll still eat pop-tarts. I eat hot dogs. Just because it seems nasty being in a pop-tart doesn't mean I wouldn't eat it in other stuff.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I remember in elementary school, I was eating jello and some kid was like "did you know jello is made out of HORSE HOOFS!?!" Much like you, I was disgusted and swore off the stuff.

Later on I found out gelatin was also in marshmallows. Then I was like, screw this, I'm not giving up that *kitten*. Back to jello eating I go.

I knew a vegetarian who had to give up Lucky Charms when he found out gelatin was in marshmallows. =(
  • ninjakitty81
    Options
    I was watching The Doctors last night and they said that fake raspberry flavoring is made from beaver anal gland excretion. Yum!

I'll still eat pop-tarts. I eat hot dogs. Just because it seems nasty being in a pop-tart doesn't mean I wouldn't eat it in other stuff.

Castoreum yum! Nothing like a little anal leakage to make your dinner appetizing lol
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know what gelatine is. I'm okay with it.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Everyone know pop tarts are crappy junk food, but I learned something today that will encourage me to never eat another poptart should I encounter one. I knew jello was made from nasty stuff. Come to find out its a lot more then jello.

The back story: I'm from Iowa originally, and Iowa is known for two things, hogs and corn. Where there is hogs there is meat processing plants. My best friend just began working for one of these pig processing plant and he told me about something.

Companies go to every extent to use every part of the pig. This is where pop-tarts come in, the filling in pop-tarts contains gelatin, not so scary right? What if i told you that was pork gelatin? Yummy your pop-tart filling is made with gelatin that is derived from the hide of a pig. Yum. Other things that gelatin comes from skin, boiled crushed horn, hoof and bones, connective tissues, organs and some intestines of animals such as domesticated cattle, chicken, horses hooves, and pigs.

Products gelatin is use in?
    Gelatin desserts, (like jello) trifles, aspic, marshmallows, and confectioneries such as Peeps and gummy bears. Gelatin may be used as a stabilizer, thickener, or texturizer in foods such as ice cream, jams, yogurt, cream cheese, and margarine; it is used, as well, in fat-reduced foods to simulate the mouthfeel of fat and to create volume without adding calories

Bits and pieces of what I wrote came from a web search, and were not written by me.

Who knew I could get pork while eating a pop tart?

I knew where gelatin came from when I was in Jr. High already. You honestly didn't know where gelatin came from? There is much scarier stuff in our food than that. Careful what you read, you may never be able to eat again? Know where mushrooms come from? Know how they make sugar?
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    It took you 22 years to discover what gelatin was derived from? Pass the Pop Tarts! And the Jello!
  • cmje94066
    cmje94066 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating the strangest things.....that doesn't bother me not one bit compared to some of the things I've eatin'.
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    This isn't new. If this grosses anybody out then just be a vegetarian. I am so I don't worry about this crap.
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    eh... doesn't bother me in the least.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating poptarts the day I vomited them up 10 hours later and they looked EXACTLY the same as when I ate them. That's what did it for me. lol

You should chew your food better...:laugh:
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options

By the way, the gelatin in pop-tarts is used in the frosting, not in the filling. Which is why the mini pop-tart stick things are certified kosher but the full-sized ones aren't.
    there is such a thing as kosher gelatin. I worked at a gelatin manufacturing plant and we would occassionally make kosher gelatin.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Doesn't bother me- I eat meat and I prefer if companies DO USE as much as the animal instead of just certain parts and throwing the rest out. I'd rather have an animal product than some chemical "gel".

^^ This. There's nothing wrong with eating pig hoof parts or whatever, as long as it's not against your personal religion, so I'm good. Ppl used to (and in some parts of the world still do) eat EVERY part of an animal. Waste not, I say! (Ever heard of moose-nose jelly? It's delicious.) At least it's all naturally-occuring, and therefore less likely to cause cancer. Shrug.

But I refuse to eat Pop tarts for a different reason altogether: those b*tches are like 200 calories EACH! And who ever eats just ONE?? They're not even filling. Blegh.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Yup.
    But I refuse to eat Pop tarts for a different reason altogether: those b*tches are like 200 calories EACH! And who ever eats just ONE?? They're not even filling. Blegh.
    Yup again! And why do they put 2 in a wrapper?? My kids used to beg for them, I would relent once in a while, but otherwise don't normally even buy them.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    not to shocking. thats what gelatin is
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Just remember, without pork, there would be no bacon!

Yeah pork!!!
  • stillme4you
    Options
    I've known that for awhile...but there's nothing quite like a toasted marshmellow. I don't care how it's made. LOL Now head-cheese...that's a different story...
  • leserpent
    leserpent Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I get what the freak-out is about. I mean, that's why real meat-based soups will turn into jelly when refrigerated. Because boiling the meat causes the gelatin in the cartilage to dissolve into the liquid.

By the way, the gelatin in pop-tarts is used in the frosting, not in the filling. Which is why the mini pop-tart stick things are certified kosher but the full-sized ones aren't.

You forgot to include fish bones in your list of gelatin sources, by the way. :)

I thought it was bovine bones. gelatin is also used in hard and soft capsules (softgels... like omega-3 capsules).