Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Instead of Losing Weight, I Lost the Clothes that Didn't Fit"

Options
2»

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I think she's in the healthy range, and that she's made a healthy choice. I suffered from an eating disorder in my teens, and I'm the last person who would disrespect this woman's choice by second guessing it, or insinuating that she should could or should achieve whatever the shape is that other people consider "healthy." She isn't starving and she's certainly not even close to being obese. Everything in between is healthy.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    ja1721 wrote: »
    From what I've noticed, people who are recovering from eating disorders tend to gain more weight than just a few pounds. Its very common. You have to break the mentality. For you and me saying we cant eat a certain thing or that we need to excercise more is fine but for someone recovering from this, it could trigger them. The only way to make sure she wasnt taking in more calories than putting out is that she still count calories and exercise, but most therapists would tell her to not do that, because there is no way for sure that anyone could keep on eye in her and make sure she was't going the the extreme. It would be too high risk, like allowing to a recovering alcoholic anywhere near a bar. Once they have recovered enough that they can move to a different stage, they can be a healthy weight. If it works for her than great. She cant do both at the same time.
    On top of that her metabolism is going from starvation mode to normal, so whatever extra she will eat (extra from straving) will be held on to for dear life in her fat reserves. So she is going to be a bit "plump."

As for my two cents on this question:
    The eating disorder recovery world is very different than our world. If someone recovering from an eating disorder eats a piece of cake, its progress.
    But if we do, its a set back. Which is why i believe this question is being asked to the wrong group of people. We dont know the ins and out of and eating disorder. We dont know the recovery process. We dont know this girl at all or what will work for her. Bottom line: unless we have been there, what do we know. If it helps her even for a little while, then whats the issue?

My family were very nervous when I started losing weight because I suffered from an eating disorder in my late teens as well. I totally appreciate what you say here. For some of us, being overweight is *way* healthier than re-entering the dark pit of disordered eating and all that goes with it.

I've been very, very careful as I've lost weight, and I'll admit sometimes the dark side calls. Especially when I see the fitness inspiration photographs and all the women my height who aim for weights as much as 30 lbs less than my goal. Because those are like these awful siren's calls to go back to that very bad place.