Craving mexican food...

Options

Replies

• CandyJ9
    CandyJ9 Posts: 38
    Options
    Rubio's Mexican Grill has some good options that are pretty low cal. I like their chicken street tacos.
  • kaaatielove
    kaaatielove Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    BUMP!! =)
  • kaaatielove
    kaaatielove Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Low Cal Mexican Pizza.. Yum!

6 pieces pita
    8 ounces refried beans
    3/4 cup salsa
    1/4 cup onion, chopped
    3/4 cup cheese
    1 1/2 cups lettuce, shredded
    6 tbs fat free sour cream
    Directions
    Bake whole wheat 6" pitas in oven on 400 d for about 7-9 minutes.

1. Put equal amounts of the refried beans, salsa, and cheese on each pita.

2. Put the pitas back in the oven until the cheese melts, this should take about 6 or 7 minutes.

3. After removing the pitas from the oven put equal amounts of the lettuce and fat free sour cream on each of the pita pizzas.

Read more: http://caloriecount.about.com/yummy-low-cal-mexican-pizza-recipe-r66960#ixzz1RK984pN0
  • livs_mom
    livs_mom Posts: 37
    Options
    bump
  • jaydian1
    jaydian1 Posts: 7
    Options
    I made the best fajitas I have ever tasted last night. Grilled chicken breast and grilled yellow squash on a whole wheat tortilla topped with salsa. So yummy! I'm thinking about making another one for dinner tonight.
  • OElleBelleO
    OElleBelleO Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Spicy food is great for raising your metabolism!
  • BonLou76
    BonLou76 Posts: 36
    Options
    bump....great recipes...thanks guys
  • cjcon
    cjcon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    3oz Ground bison meat or ground beef rinsed after cooked with hot water to rid of excess fat
    1/2 tsp taco seasoning
    1 tomato
    35 grams of onion
    garden of eatin' organic blue taco shells (only 140 cal for 2)
    1/2 oz of cheese

for 2 tacos with those ingredients its only about 400 cal. all those serving sizes of ingredients fits into 2 tacos
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Try fajitas without the garnish (sour cream, cheese, etc.) and eat with a fork (no tortillas).
  • claudiandw
    claudiandw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    TERRIFIC TACO SOUP

1 pound of ground beef
    1 small onion, minced
    1 small can green chiles, chopped
    1 can stewed tomatoes
    1 can Rotel (Mexican tomatoes)
    1 can ranch style beans or chili beans
    1 can whole kernel corn
    1 ½ cups water
    1 pkg. ranch dressing mix
    1 pkg. taco seasoning mix

Brown beef, onion and chiles. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer 20 minutes. Great with cornbread or with tortilla chips and grated cheddar cheese.
  • YHakes
    YHakes Posts: 2
    Options
    Visit www.hungrygirl.com
    Click on the TV show Recipes Alert!!! Then select the episode entitled "Happy Hour"

She has a recipe for Exploding Chicken Taquitos that is great. 197 calories for two and they are really easy to make. My husband & I had them with a green salad. Last night we had a Chicken Enchilada Casserole from her Hungry Girl 1-2-3 cookbook that was great comfort food.
  • MovesLikePuma
    Options
    You can eat Mexican...just modify it and choose healthy. Bank your calories for the day. Do extra exercise. Live your life. This should be a lifestyle change not constant deprivation.

I LOVE what you said above. That is so true and one of the reasons why I always failed before. Need to change attitude and quantity/quality, not deprive ourselves all the time!
  • soonersgirl
    soonersgirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    put some chicken breast in a slow cooker, pour a bottle of salsa on them and cook on low for about 8 hours....shred and serve on tortillas w/some reduced fat cheese....pretty yummy!!!
  • KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    A low cal/low carb/low sodium option - something that I do once a week:

boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces - Saute these in a touch of olive oil until cooked through. Add some seasoning, as you like - I use chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt, paprika, garlic powder & a touch of sugar. Chop up fresh toppings - I like onions, guacamole (I use Wholly Guacamole brand), tomatoes and a bit of brown rice. And then I wrap it all up in a piece of romaine or green leaf lettuce - rather than a tortilla. You eliminate about 150 calories and over 400 mg of sodium per taco/burrito.

Super yummy and definitely satisfies the taco craving!
  • scrappyd
    scrappyd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I live for Mexican food! Try Fajitas - high protein, high veggie, and "healthy" fat in the cheese and sour cream.

Grill bell peppers and onions w cilantro and garlic (or whatever you like), prepare fresh lettuce and tomatoes, choose a protein ( I usually get steak from the farmers market), and then add a little shredded chz, sour cream, salsa, or guacamole. (I see ppl suggesting fat free alternatives to the dairy but I find going regular or maybe light fills me up more and I just have smaller portions).

I usually do one w a tortilla and then my second helping is just the "stuff."

Happy Eating :)
  • suthernbelle
    suthernbelle Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    bump
  • purple_orchid
    purple_orchid Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    There are some tasty ideas here:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/healthy_mexican_recipes

Also, corn tortillas are great and low calorie/high fiber. You can have a small bit of low-fat cheese, some salsa, black beans and broil them on a corn tortilla. Makes a sort of mexican pizza! Add a little serving of avocado and WHAMMO....craving satisfied.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Visit www.hungrygirl.com
    Click on the TV show Recipes Alert!!! Then select the episode entitled "Happy Hour"

She has a recipe for Exploding Chicken Taquitos that is great. 197 calories for two and they are really easy to make. My husband & I had them with a green salad. Last night we had a Chicken Enchilada Casserole from her Hungry Girl 1-2-3 cookbook that was great comfort food.

This sounds great, thank you for posting!
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    bump