No Eating After 7pm

Options

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i lost 35 pounds while eating whenever as long as I was in a calorie deficit. in fact there were many times I'd wake up hungry in the middle of the night and have a midnight snack of berries and ground turkey i had cooked for tacos lol.

although i wouldnt suggest doing what i did if you get indigestion easily. but for me nope, the time i eat makes no difference in weight loss
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,707 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds all together the last 3 months not eating after 7, completely believe in this!
    All that means is that you ate in calorie deficit by the end of the day (7pm). Lots of people have done the same eating after 7pm too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    This thread has been here longer than I have. Impressive necro.

I'm most in shock at seeing niner posts without his signature! :open_mouth:
    Lol, it was only about a month after I started. Damn necro thread.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The posts just seem naked, or something. Such a bizarre sighting.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    FoxCarter wrote: »
    My sister has lost 50lbs within the last year, with her 'only' change being not eating after 7pm. I can tell you for a fact that she eats less than she used to (not cramming her face) and is making a few better food choices. In the evenings we are usually winding down from our day and sometimes I get the munchies for something sweet. Not eating after 7pm could save me 500-1500 calories a week.
    What do you think of not eating 3 hours before bedtime? Is a calorie a calorie no matter when it is consumed? Or does eating before turning in for the night become stored fat/energy?

I think one must do whatever works to help them keep a calorie deficit.

Some people choose not to eat after dinner, others choose to make their portions smaller throughout the day.

In reality, meal timing and not eating after a certain time have nothing to do with weight loss. You can eat up until you close your eyes and lose weight if you keep your calorie deficit.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the necro threads that get bumped are interesting. How members go about finding years old threads boggles me..
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It would depend on the person. I lose my appetite after 6 pm, so I only eat after that on occasion or when I have planned social dinners (where I deliberately skip lunch or have a very light one to have appetite for dinner). Cutting out the random apple or tomato I eat after 6 pm every now and then would not make much difference to my food intake, but for someone who has a habit of winding down in front of a TV munching on stuff mindlessly all evening it could make quite a big difference. No harm in exploring this as a way to help reduce calorie consumption.
  • OldHound
    OldHound Posts: 17 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Dieting is very much a "roll your own" proposition. What works well for some may not work for others. Consider these two ideas, though. 1. Your body only "sees" food as Protein, Carbs, and Fat. "Paleo" or "Mediterranean" or "Zone," etc. are your personal preferences. 2. Your digestive system has no concept of time. Experiment and eat when it works best for you...
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,940 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I eat a substantial amount of my calories past 7pm.
    Often after midnight.
    Would a different schedule result in incrementally better results?
    Who knows. And who cares.
    Because the fact is that my preference is to have many of my calories later in the day.
    Which means I am more likely to adhere to my goals if I do so.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    This necro thread has been found and bumped and yet NO ONE had mentioned NIGHT SHIFT.

I wake up at 6:30pm...I eat/drink my "breakfast" at about 9pm. I am at work from 10:30pm until 7am. I finally get off work and go lift heavy things and I'm home by 9am.

I ONLY eat after 7pm, and I've lost over 80 pounds.

BOOM!
    *drops mic*
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The posts just seem naked, or something. Such a bizarre sighting.
    Yeah. I've had people actually tell me that when they go into thread that's just a couple of pages long, they scroll through quick to see if I commented and looking for my signature is the easiest way to check. Hahahaha.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    FoxCarter wrote: »
    My sister has lost 50lbs within the last year, with her 'only' change being not eating after 7pm.

Well that's not true, you know how I know?

I can tell you for a fact that she eats less than she used to (not cramming her face) and is making a few better food choices.

Because this bit up there is the ONLY reason she lost weight

In the evenings we are usually winding down from our day and sometimes I get the munchies for something sweet. Not eating after 7pm could save me 500-1500 calories a week.

If that's how you hit your calorie defecit that's fine...but the only reason you would ever lose weight is eating fewer calories than you burn over time

What do you think of not eating 3 hours before bedtime?

It makes no difference. The only reason not to eat before bedtime is because you don't like to. It does not speed up weight loss. The digestive system does not stop because you're sleeping. You do not put on extra fat because you're sleeping, or lose more because you're sleeping. That is categorically and scientifically untrue.

But if it helps you adhere to a defecit you will lose

Is a calorie a calorie no matter when it is consumed?

yes

Or does eating before turning in for the night become stored fat/energy?

No

• Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    This necro thread has been found and bumped and yet NO ONE had mentioned NIGHT SHIFT.

I wake up at 6:30pm...I eat/drink my "breakfast" at about 9pm. I am at work from 10:30pm until 7am. I finally get off work and go lift heavy things and I'm home by 9am.

BOOM!
    *drops mic*
    Well I didn't mention it but I too work nights and I agree, it totally doesn't matter what time you eat. I eat up to midnight at work, then stop until I get home and will eat breakfast, then go to sleep right after. Lol, I'm guessing technically that would be my "after 7pm" meal. I've been losing just fine too. I also rotate to a normal schedule on my days off. My eating schedule is so screwed up those days.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    NECRO?

Goddammit :huh:

When I posted I could only see 1 page of comments and now there's 6
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Bearbo27 wrote: »

BOOM!
    *drops mic*
    Well I didn't mention it but I too work nights and I agree, it totally doesn't matter what time you eat. I eat up to midnight at work, then stop until I get home and will eat breakfast, then go to sleep right after. Lol, I'm guessing technically that would be my "after 7pm" meal. I've been losing just fine too. I also rotate to a normal schedule on my days off. My eating schedule is so screwed up those days.

I start eating for the 'new day' at midnight and I have all my 'meals' on MFP set up in 4 hour increments and it's been working for me for when I switch my schedule around on my days off too.

12AM-4AM
    4AM-8AM
    8AM-12PM
    12PM-4PM
    4PM-8PM
    8PM-12AM

It's easier for me to keep track of my meals/snacks that way as I'm more on a 24-hour eating schedule than just a 12 or 16 hour schedule.
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I honestly think thats bs. I eat dinner at about 7.30 pm and then have dessert before bed at around 10 pm. I still lost weight..
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    God I REALLY hate this myth. Like really. How does your body know what time it is? DAILY CALORIE COUNT. Not BEFORE 7PM CALORIE COUNT. save some cals for post dinner 7PM snack.
  • beaglebrandon
    beaglebrandon Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I used to exercise, eat small meals at breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The problem was, I drank an alcoholic drink with a few munchies every night after 7:00. This caused me to not be able to lose weight. The deficit I created during the day was wasted at night.

Simply removing this late-night binge resulted in me being able to lose weight.

So, it's all about calories in-calories out, yes. I had no problem doing this during the day, but at night, I couldn't resist my wind-down time, and it sabotaged me.

So, it's not really the after 7:00 calories, it's just the 'extra' calories that you don't really need if you're already eating breakfast, lunch and dinner.

If your regular dinner is like at 9:30, it won't matter. It's all the same calories. It's just so many people I know do the late night binge thing. Getting rid of that habit helps so much.
  • karrielynnhowardsternfan
    Options
    Time doesn't matter but if you feel it helps then do it.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    A calorie is a calorie, no matter what time of day it is consumed. So if you eat 1200 calories a day it doesn't matter at what time of day you eat them.

However, what happens to a lot of people is that they'll eat a certain amount of calories up until dinner time and then after dinner will sit on the sofa, watch TV and eat another 1000 calories plus of junk. Cutting out those "extra" calories would certainly cause someone to lose weight.

That right there. THAT is why the "no eating after #:oo" works. Many people have horrible snacking habits, and often they lose control at night, after already consuming their full calorie allowance for the day. If you make a firm rule to not eat at all, and stick with it, then obviously you eliminate those extra calories.

Not sure why so many people have a hard time understanding it. It's a control/discipline thing.