Paleo anyone? Vegan..?

Options
I know lots of people find these diets pointless BUT I was wondering who else follows a plant based diet?! I am Paleo (it works for me and I feel great! What can I say!) and am struggling to hit macros and find good recipes. I would love to continue to do NO dairy (no whey or soy) and am basically no gluten as well. Is there anyone else out there who is Paleo/Vegan?! I would love to add Eachother and give some support :)

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone else out there who is Paleo/Vegan?!

That's gonna be a hard one...
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I don't understand why you would do that as beans and grains are healthy for you, especially if you're vegetarian/vegan.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Paleo Vegan:
    http://dailyburn.com/life/health/pegan-diet-paleo-vegan/
    It is probably really healthy. Baboons eat 90%+ vegetarian, and the other tubers and such that they eat would be paleo, and baboons all have incredible health markers if you take their blood work.

Paleo vegan isn't 90% vegetarian
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Paleo Vegan:
    It is probably really healthy. Baboons eat 90%+ vegetarian, and the other tubers and such that they eat would be paleo, and baboons all have incredible health markers if you take their blood work.

Do you really want to compare yourself to a baboon? Just saying.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Paleo Vegan:

Yeah. "Pegan" described in the article is neither vegan nor paleo. You cannot be vegan if you eat meat, period.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Paleo Vegan:

These trendy diets are just ridiculous, I mean how can you be vegan if are eating meat? Isn't that the whole point of being a vegan, doesn't that go against their whole philosophy?

Wouldn't this just be a healthy well balanced diet, or what some people on here would consider a clean diet?

It seems like people need to label things to sell them or something.

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Paleo Vegan:

"How to Eat Pegan

The pegan diet focuses primarily on fruits and vegetables — specifically, filling 75 percent of your diet with plants, and rounding out the other 25 percent with animal protein and high-quality fats . “The pegan diet is a somewhat odd combination because the foundation of vegan diets is a belief of not consuming any animal products,” says nutritionist and chef Beth Saltz, MPH, RD. “A better description is probably a very clean, modified paleo diet.”

This is not actually vegan. Not even close. You can't just call it "paleo vegan" because you think it sounds good..."vegan" has a specific meaning.

I love that it's not vegan, and it's not paleo, but for some reason modified paleo diet works? It seems like the Paleo diet is the most modified diet out there...

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Paleo Vegan:

"How to Eat Pegan

The pegan diet focuses primarily on fruits and vegetables — specifically, filling 75 percent of your diet with plants, and rounding out the other 25 percent with animal protein and high-quality fats . “The pegan diet is a somewhat odd combination because the foundation of vegan diets is a belief of not consuming any animal products,” says nutritionist and chef Beth Saltz, MPH, RD. “A better description is probably a very clean, modified paleo diet.”

This is not actually vegan. Not even close. You can't just call it "paleo vegan" because you think it sounds good..."vegan" has a specific meaning.

I love that it's not vegan, and it's not paleo, but for some reason modified paleo diet works? It seems like the Paleo diet is the most modified diet out there...

Seriously. Because you can't just say "eat a whole bunch of vegetables, and then add some protein and fat." If you don't make up a stupid name for that diet, you can't sell ad space on your blog.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a thread...

Vegan is defined as 'No animal products at all', not even honey.

Vegetarian can include eggs, dairy, honey, etc. as long as no animals are harmed.

Paleo is defined as the omnivorous diet eaten by our Paleolithic hunter/gatherer ancestors. Granted, most people are probably not very good hunters, and even the best hunters are statistically not all that successful, so there were probably a LOT of 'vegan' days! Think YOU could take down a full grown bison with a spear??

In keeping with what I have read about most modern dietary advice, I'd say that a balanced diet of 50 to 75% fruits and veggies, 25 to 40% good quality meats and fish, and small amounts of nuts, seeds and good oils is probably as close as any of us can get to mimicking our ancestral diet. A few 'vegan' days a month probably make sense...

Just my opinion...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Paleo Vegan:

Yeah. "Pegan" described in the article is neither vegan nor paleo. You cannot be vegan if you eat meat, period.

You can be if you're freegan-vegan. If the animal was already dead, letting it go into the garbage is even less ethical because now even more food has to be produced to do it.
    There is also flexible veganism.

So freegan-vegan is a fancy name for ominvore?

Like someone else said, why the names? Why can't you just eat? You can eat mostly veggies, a little meat and some grains without having to distinguish it.