No Eating After 7pm

Options
14567810»

Replies

• HazyEyes93
    HazyEyes93 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The time has nothing to do with it. It's all just calories in and calories out. However, if not eating passed a certain time makes it easier to stay within your caloric allotment, then that's what you should do. I love that old saying, "keep it simple stupid." I think "work smarter, not harder," may also apply here.
  • kcklub
    kcklub Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think that's hard to do, sleep on an empty stomach.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,025 Member
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    SadDolt wrote: »
    if you're weighing everyday then it does matter how early you stop eating. but from my experience it doesn't matter what time, if you only weigh weekly. all that matters is that you eat under. i was eating as late as 10pm and ould always lose a little over a pound a week

I realize this is a necro thread, but this comment is recent. It doesn't matter if you weigh daily and eat after 7 pm. I almost always eat dinner around 7 and I usually have a snack around 9 pm. I weigh daily and I lost 60 pounds and moved into maintenance. If one needs to cut out evening snacking to stay under their goal then that is one thing, but if you stay at your calorie goal it doesn't matter what time you eat and that is true whether you weigh daily, weekly or monthly.

I read that a little differently - for example, I weigh daily and my fluctuations are HUGE when I eat late. Not because of anything magical or special snowflake, but simply because sometimes I eat smaller portions that are more calorie-dense, sometimes I eat bigger portions that weigh more in my stomach but are less dense, sometimes I drink a lot of liquid with dinner, etc. If you eat late and then weigh before the food weight is all gone, then you'll probably experience more fluctuations, but the weekly weighing means you've lost enough weight overall that the fluctuations might not mask it.

That's how I saw that anyway :)

That makes sense, but I guess since I eat late almost every day I don't notice huge fluctuations from late night snacking because I usually eat about the same amounts every night. I guess if you only snacked late once or twice a week or if you really ate a huge amount at once that might be more common and then you would still need to make sure you didn't eat late the night before your weigh in day. I still don't think that it matters if you eat late and you are a daily weigher but it doesn't matter if you eat late for weekly weighers. I don't think it matters for either what time they eat.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I don't eat after midnight, but that's for different reasons.
  • fitnellieforlife
    fitnellieforlife Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I eat after 7pm. I save about 400 calories for nightly snacking. It helps tremendously since I'm not hungry during the day and only at night.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    I don't eat after midnight, but that's for different reasons.

And I bet you stay dry, too! :wink:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    SueInAz wrote: »
    A calorie is a calorie, no matter what time of day it is consumed. So if you eat 1200 calories a day it doesn't matter at what time of day you eat them.

However, what happens to a lot of people is that they'll eat a certain amount of calories up until dinner time and then after dinner will sit on the sofa, watch TV and eat another 1000 calories plus of junk. Cutting out those "extra" calories would certainly cause someone to lose weight.

That right there. THAT is why the "no eating after #:oo" works. Many people have horrible snacking habits, and often they lose control at night, after already consuming their full calorie allowance for the day. If you make a firm rule to not eat at all, and stick with it, then obviously you eliminate those extra calories.

Not sure why so many people have a hard time understanding it. It's a control/discipline thing.

Having a cutoff time to prevent binges is one thing, but many people do believe if you eat after a specific hour those calories will turn to fat whether you're in a deficit or not

I think that comes from the belief that our bodies digestive system and metabolism slows down when we sleep, so it isn't as efficient at burning off our food, especially a big meal right before bed, so what it can't efficiently /properly burn gets turned to fat easier, than if we ate that same meal earlier in the day when we were more mobile/active.

I am NOT saying i believe or agree with this, but have read some such thing many times over the years.

That's even further logically disconnected from reality, because if you don't put enough fuel into your car to reach your destination, it doesn't matter whether you drive slower or faster, you won't reach your destination.

I get the analogy, but can we really compare the human body to a car?