Paleo anyone? Vegan..?

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Paleo Vegan:
    http://dailyburn.com/life/health/pegan-diet-paleo-vegan/
    It is probably really healthy. Baboons eat 90%+ vegetarian, and the other tubers and such that they eat would be paleo, and baboons all have incredible health markers if you take their blood work.

Paleo vegan isn't 90% vegetarian

Yeah. "Pegan" described in the article is neither vegan nor paleo. You cannot be vegan if you eat meat, period.

You can be if you're freegan-vegan. If the animal was already dead, letting it go into the garbage is even less ethical because now even more food has to be produced to do it.
    There is also flexible veganism.

So freegan-vegan is a fancy name for ominvore?

Like someone else said, why the names? Why can't you just eat? You can eat mostly veggies, a little meat and some grains without having to distinguish it.

Freegans eat food that is going to go to waste - like dumpster diving for foods that haven't truly gone bad yet. To them, a person isn't contributing to animal suffering - the animal already suffered, and now you're adding insult to injury by it having suffered to generate a waste product that will decay and add greenhouse gasses to the atmosphere.

Flexible-vegans are omnivores that usually follow veganism, except when they don't.

Not all freegans consume animal products. Some of them maintain veganism even when eating (non-animal) foods that would otherwise go to waste.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I know lots of people find these diets pointless BUT I was wondering who else follows a plant based diet?! I am Paleo (it works for me and I feel great! What can I say!) and am struggling to hit macros and find good recipes. I would love to continue to do NO dairy (no whey or soy) and am basically no gluten as well. Is there anyone else out there who is Paleo/Vegan?! I would love to add Eachother and give some support :)

Check out these groups, lots of people to add and recipes to share:

Paleo/primal: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/37-primal-paleo-support-group

Vegetarian/Vegan: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores

This doesn't really fall into the category, but you'll probably find a lot of whole food recipes that fit into Paleo here as well: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133-clean-eating-group
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Paleo Vegan:
    It is probably really healthy. Baboons eat 90%+ vegetarian, and the other tubers and such that they eat would be paleo, and baboons all have incredible health markers if you take their blood work.

Do you really want to compare yourself to a baboon? Just saying.

Are you saying you're not even a primate?

Nope I'm not saying that. I'm saying I prefer not to compare myself to a baboon...or a chimp, lemur, monkey or really animals of any kind.

I'm also not interested in any diets where the people who ate them had a life expectancy of about 30 years, didn't use fire to cook their food, or came up with a dumb made up name like freegan or pegan.

By the way, wikipedia also says that baboons only live 30 years in the wild and up to 45 in captivity and their diets are actually omnivorous. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baboon
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you would do that as beans and grains are healthy for you, especially if you're vegetarian/vegan.

And I don't understand why you would do that as meat is healthy for you, especially if you're paleo.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Paleo Vegan:

Yeah. "Pegan" described in the article is neither vegan nor paleo. You cannot be vegan if you eat meat, period.

You can be if you're freegan-vegan. If the animal was already dead, letting it go into the garbage is even less ethical because now even more food has to be produced to do it.
    Paleo Vegan:

Paleo Vegan:

Like someone else said, why the names? Why can't you just eat? You can eat mostly veggies, a little meat and some grains without having to distinguish it.

Freegans eat food that is going to go to waste - like dumpster diving for foods that haven't truly gone bad yet. To them, a person isn't contributing to animal suffering - the animal already suffered, and now you're adding insult to injury by it having suffered to generate a waste product that will decay and add greenhouse gasses to the atmosphere.

Flexible-vegans are omnivores that usually follow veganism, except when they don't.

Am I the only one who is disturbed at the idea of dumpster diving for food?
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Paleo Vegan:

Paleo Vegan:

Paleo Vegan:

If I was hungry enough.....tesco have recently signed up to GIVE AWAY it's (edible) waste food to food banks and food Co-op etc...such a sad sign of the times when people rely on waste food so they can eat at all :(
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Paleo Vegan:

Paleo Vegan:

Paleo Vegan:

I guess don't watch a documentary on freegans then. They're people who not only dumpster-dive, they tend to be people who have no financial need to so.

It's one thing if you are financially unstable and it was your last resort, but if you are financially stable, I just..... Sorry there is no nice way to say this, but is gross.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Paleo Vegan:

Paleo Vegan:

Paleo Vegan:

I saw an article about it one day, apparently it's a thing.
  • KristyMichelle716
    KristyMichelle716 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I know lots of people find these diets pointless BUT I was wondering who else follows a plant based diet?! I am Paleo (it works for me and I feel great! What can I say!) and am struggling to hit macros and find good recipes. I would love to continue to do NO dairy (no whey or soy) and am basically no gluten as well. Is there anyone else out there who is Paleo/Vegan?! I would love to add Eachother and give some support :)

I looked into trying to follow a vegan diet that was also paleo, but it was too restrictive for me to be able to realistically follow. I'm 98% vegetarian (very occasionally consuming meat, like once a month, maybe), and my regular day-to-day menu includes two vegan meals, one being very low carb, the other being moderately low carb. For breakfast I've opted to eat local free range eggs (I know the farmer), because ethically I can abide by that. Otherwise I am trying to more and more limit/remove all other animal products from my diet if I don't know where they're sourced. I'm lucky because I live in a pretty agriculturally dense region with many farmers' markets and shops that cater to local products. This isn't the case for everyone, unfortunately.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options

I looked into trying to follow a vegan diet that was also paleo, but it was too restrictive for me to be able to realistically follow. I'm 98% vegetarian (very occasionally consuming meat, like once a month, maybe), and my regular day-to-day menu includes two vegan meals, one being very low carb, the other being moderately low carb. For breakfast I've opted to eat local free range eggs (I know the farmer), because ethically I can abide by that. Otherwise I am trying to more and more limit/remove all other animal products from my diet if I don't know where they're sourced. I'm lucky because I live in a pretty agriculturally dense region with many farmers' markets and shops that cater to local products. This isn't the case for everyone, unfortunately.

So...low carb vegan foods would be nonstarchy vegetables, nuts, seeds, avocado, coconut, oils, legumes (especially soy), and berries, right? Just trying to wrap my head around "very low carb vegan" and thinking it would be a mostly nuts, avocado, and veggies.
  • rstebner
    rstebner Posts: 11 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    On the Paleo Vegan subject, one could theoretically cover both on a raw vegan diet. You would consume mostly raw fruits and vegetables and most protein would come from raw nuts and seeds.

Hope that helps!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    IMO, as long as calories are adequate and basic macro/micro needs are met, merely the act of lifting is to a large extent what strengthens bones. Far too much emphasis is put on diet and far too little on exercise...
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Paleo Vegan:

"How to Eat Pegan

The pegan diet focuses primarily on fruits and vegetables — specifically, filling 75 percent of your diet with plants, and rounding out the other 25 percent with animal protein and high-quality fats . “The pegan diet is a somewhat odd combination because the foundation of vegan diets is a belief of not consuming any animal products,” says nutritionist and chef Beth Saltz, MPH, RD. “A better description is probably a very clean, modified paleo diet.”

This is not actually vegan. Not even close. You can't just call it "paleo vegan" because you think it sounds good..."vegan" has a specific meaning.

That's pretty much how I eat! Never considered myself 3/4 vegan before!
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Veganism is not a diet. It's an ethical stance.

Nope. Sometimes it's food allergies [if you're vegetarian to begin with] or just a dislike of dairy, or both. I'm eating more and more vegan because dairy bothers my stomach and I have an allergy to eggs and absolutely hate the texture of meat.

Now as for meat eaters or non meat eaters, to each their own. Everyone has a reason as to why they eat they way the do, vegan or not.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Veganism is not a diet. It's an ethical stance.

Nope. Sometimes it's food allergies [if you're vegetarian to begin with] or just a dislike of dairy, or both. I'm eating more and more vegan because dairy bothers my stomach and I have an allergy to eggs and absolutely hate the texture of meat.

Vegans also don't use anything made out of animal products.