Replies

• nof60
    nof60 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    C25K
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I am super new to running too, and was able to run a mile for one of the first times in my life yesterday. I've been getting regular vigorous walks in for the last few months, and felt like they weren't really challenging any more, so I felt like I was ready to move to the next level ( so that's my first advice, make sure you are leading up to it with other exercise).

First, I had to adjust my mindset, so I didn't think of it as some impossible thing that was going to basically kill me, but more like fast walking with a different gait.

I like the idea of C25K, but didn't want to follow a plan, so I started just randomly jogging during my walks. I'd jog a block, or for a couple minutes, or for a specific distance, and try to do that at least a couple times on my walks.

While I was doing that, I'd concentrate on keeping my breathing slow and steady, and keeping my pace really slow. I would feel like I needed to sprint, but that's not sustainable. I pretty much tried to run at my fastest walking speed.

So just don't think of it as too daunting, go slow, and set little goals for yourself :)
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I was thinking about starting up jogging/running...but I can only run for like 1 min each time then need to walk.. I've never ran in my life, i feel embarrassed to run on the street but there isn't anywhere else to lol. How did you guys get past this..? :)

You really don't need an app. You are already doing the right thing. Walk and run when you can, you will slowly build up to running more than walking. Try to remember that no one is really looking at you, they might glance or watch you, but that's just humans, we do that. They're probably wishing they were running too.

Find a couple of routes you like, if you have a gps phone/watch, use that to map how far you've gone and how long it's taken. Track that on here so you can see your progress.
    It does take a few weeks to see an improvement and sometimes it can take months, it depends on how active you are the rest of the time, and if you do any other sports.

There are a few things you can do to help increase your pace and mileage:
    Hiit - (high intensity training) find a small short hill (up a street with a slight slope to it is all you need), jog up to half way, then increase your speed for the other half. You can start slowly and only up your speed at half way a teeny bit. Walk back to the start. Do this 4-6 times, increase the number to 10-12 as you get better.
    Once at 10-12 times, up your speeds for each half, but lower back down 4-6 times.
    You only need to do this once a week to see a difference.

If you have access to a treadmill (should be inclined by 1.5 or 2 to mimic outside running)
    do 5 mins slow jog, then increase the speed by half a 'thingy' run for a min at that speed. (whatever 'thingy' the machine is set at mile/k/acres; say you jog a 7 'things', up to 7.5). Keep upping by half for a min, until you reach 10 mins, then warm down at usual jog pace, then walk for a few mins.
    When you get good at this, up by a full 'thingy' each min until you get to 10 mins.
    Again, once a week will show improvement, and won't wear you out.

Cross train. Biking uses the same muscles, spinning is awesome if you don't own a bike and have nowhere safe to ride. Weight lifting. Body weight (yoga, pilates). Body pump is also good (squats! love them, hate lunges).
    Any other sport is good too, anything that helps you get fitter regardless of what it is (swimming, roller derby, karate, fencing, wheelbarrow races, ANYTHING).

The main thing to remember is HAVE FUN. Running is fun... trust me, all us haven't-run-since-primary-school runners were in the same boat as you at some point (the good ship 'omg i can only run between lamposts and octogenarians with zimmers can pass me!').. you will get there :smile:

Also you are now part of a wee club, people who you wouldn't smile at or even acknowledge their existence if you were walking.. it's totally a thing to smile, nod, say hi to another runner as you pass them (usually only when facing them, we weirdly don't do it when we pass from behind, dunno why - maybe cos we're too busy mentally high fiving ourselves for 'winning' as we pass... that might just be me).
  • gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    and another for c25k.

There'll be a day where you think 'no way can I run for 20 minutes straight' but go slow, slow slow slow slow, so slow you may as well walk, and you'll hit that time. Part of that is mental - once you've done that even at a horrendously slow pace, you can do anything.

speed comes later, and perversely, speed comes with running further. The further you run the better your aerobic stamina. I run for 40 minutes twice a week now, and a longer run at weekends. My 40 minutes run is getting further and further but is always more than 5k. I run trails at weekends and am up to an 8mile, but trails are a bit different (hills, dammit)

Things I learnt -
    • decent shoes - get fitted from a running shop
    • keep your cadence fast and your steps short - keep your steps pretty much under your body
    • don't be afraid to walk if need to, but try slowing your running first
    • Engo blister patches are the best solution ever.
    • the first ten minutes of any run is hell. Always. Every time. Every minutes after that is a pleasure.
    • you can fix a lot of world problems on a run.

this is me today. week 7 day 1. just managed 15 the other day so taking my mum out on her bike for company so i'll stick at it. i hate to quit in front of her lol.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    zombies run 5k is a fun app as well. same principle as C25k, but you pretend you're running from zombies
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Go to your local college or high school track. You will find people walking and people running. Pick a distance like say three miles. Walk a lap, run a lap, walk a lap until you get in three miles total.

Keep doing the walk, run, walk, several times a week and in a few months you will be running the entire distance.