What is your gym pet peeve?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    my pet peeve is people that don't focus on their own workout and worry about what others are doing...

It seems you would have to focus on what people are doing to find out that they are worrying about what others are doing, so you aren't really focusing on your workout either...

my comment was sarcasm based on OP's post...but I guess you missed that..

translation - focus on your own workout and don't worry about what others are doing..

clear?

• ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    jdscrubs32 wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    None. I don't go to gym to worry about what others are doing, I go for my goals.

While I would normally agree with this, there is one newish guy in my gym who when he is doing deadlifts or bent over barbell rows lets the barbell hit the floor so loud, that it is louder than anything I have ever heard in my life. that has become my pet peeve.

There are a couple people like this at my gym too. I don't know why they need to slam the barbell down like they're trying to break something. The people who grunt really loudly on every single rep bother me too.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The occasional guy who grunts LOUDLY (like a p*rn video) when he's lifting. You don't see me grunting even if if the weight is heavy. I roll my eyes.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    my pet peeve is people that don't focus on their own workout and worry about what others are doing...

It seems you would have to focus on what people are doing to find out that they are worrying about what others are doing, so you aren't really focusing on your workout either...

translation - focus on your own workout and don't worry about what others are doing..

clear?

Oh I 100% got it (good one), but you can focus on your workout and have gym pet peeves as well, it might have nothing do with other people at the gym.

• wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,586 Member
    Options
    I go to a college gym, so the equipment is actually pretty decent and plentiful; for example, they have three squat racks, and a smith machine. It can still get pretty busy though, especially from 5-7pm, so I'm trying to force myself to go in the morning when I know I'm going to have to hog multiple machines for my supersets. I don't want to be that person during their busy hours.

During those busy hours, I ask to work in if I see someone taking long rests on a machine that I need to use to get my workout in for the day (...which I don't understand, but that's besides the point). Most people don't mind. It's those that say, "I have a lot of reps left" when I ask to work in. Okay bro, but I have only 3 sets of 5, and I'll probably be done before you anyway. In fact, I usually am done with my entire workout and I still see them adding 2.5lb weights to their squats.

Oh, I also strongly dislike when 5 people use the same machine (squat rack, bench press, etc) but also take super long breaks/stand around chatting. I appreciate that you're trying to all work out together, but please, actually get your workouts in, and then gossip.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

clear?

Kind of hard not to focus, even a little bit, on others when it is directly affecting you, no?
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Not re-racking weights or DB's and/or leaving them lying all over the place.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    When it's one of the 15 or so days a year that you can't drop weights. Or when the hockey guys insist on their country music.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    People who don't return the weights to where they belong and you spend half an hour looking for them
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    When it's one of the 15 or so days a year that you can't drop weights. Or when the hockey guys insist on their country music.

The country music would totally do it for me. I deal with the Christian music on occasion, I mean, I do work at a Catholic hospital and use the YMCA, but country music? Deal breaker.
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    1. Unsolicited advice of any kind.
    2. When people try to chit-chat.
    3. The music broadcast over the speakers at every gym ever always sucks.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    at the classes, when someone 'claims' a bike or a spot and throws a hissy if anyone else sits there
  • gjw1911
    gjw1911 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    People who wear too much perfume, and people who camp out on machines/benches/racks.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

clear?

Kind of hard not to focus, even a little bit, on others when it is directly affecting you, no?

not sure how some clown who is wearing too much cologne affects me doing deadlifts when I am half way across the room...
  • kevinf2380
    kevinf2380 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    People that groan. I get you're working hard but keep it together Hulk.
  • tfs27
    tfs27 Posts: 18 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    non friendly staff!
  • fitgamercatlady
    fitgamercatlady Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    when i forget my hair tie.

eefmvjryqers.gif
    This is exactly why I have 3 on my wrists at all times. My hair is so thick that it only has a possibility of staying up with two ties, and an extra for when one inevitably breaks.