What is your gym pet peeve?

Options

Replies

• JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    kevinf2380 wrote: »
    People that groan. I get you're working hard but keep it together Hulk.

We had a groaner a while back. I had heard so many stories, I was kind of hoping to run into him just for entertainment. Everyone said he sounded like he was having an orgasm. But he got kicked out when he had a negligent discharge in the locker room. And that wasn't a euphemism. He "dropped" his handgun and fired a round into the ceiling over a kid's head.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    When the person next to me is singing with their headphones in... or making loud noises as they work out. and weight droppers............

There's actually this guy who dances and it just puts me in a good mood. It's a type of dance you would do when you found out some good news or something. When I watch him, I feel like I'm listening to Happy by Pharrell. Wait, maybe he's listening to that song on repeat. :|

There is a guy in my gym that occasionally dances some, he is totally into his music and happy as could be. It makes me smile every time!

He sings sometimes too, not bad since its not constant.

My pet peeve is not re-racking the weights correctly and having the 25#s with the 35#s or something....I re-arrange them all to be even on both sides and like weights together. Luckily it doesn't happen often, sometimes it can be a workout in itself.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    ralfprz wrote: »
    I dont smell the greatest after a 2 hour cardio sesh but theres always that one SUPER STINNNKYY/PISS/B.O person in the gym, huge pet peeve when they start working out next to you and you cant even breathe.

There is one particular guy at my gym that has a ponytail and I call him "Stinkbro" (like a Pokemon because I'm weird) and I swear to God he follows me around the gym. I thought the first couple times it was just because I caught him maybe on an off day of showering, but nope. He just stinks. You stink, bro.

Maybe he thinks you're cute and he's working up the courage to talk to you. Good time to hint about hygiene . . .
  • bathmatt12345
    bathmatt12345 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    People who don't understand "working in" either way.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    as someone who works at a gym, I can probably give a different perspective. If you don't restack/put away your weight, the gym staff have to do it for you, and they will hate you with a burning passion. Weight-droppers - all you're doing is damaging the floor, which means the prices of memberships have to go up, as we have to cover the price of replacing/fixing the floor. Same goes for people who bang weights in to walls/mirrors/etc. People who leave the treadmills on an inclination of about 10+ degrees. People who leave blue roll/tissues (especially sweaty dirty ones) all over the floor. That one person who is always "just finishing up" when you're trying to lock up and keeps going for an extra 15-20 minutes. Like, you know when we close, please just leave, we're hungry and tired. Lastly, those people who NEVER leave, they're there all day, from opening til closing. Damn, rant over, didn't realise I had so many pent up issues :')

wait, don't you get paid to do all these things?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    as someone who works at a gym, I can probably give a different perspective. If you don't restack/put away your weight, the gym staff have to do it for you, and they will hate you with a burning passion. Weight-droppers - all you're doing is damaging the floor, which means the prices of memberships have to go up, as we have to cover the price of replacing/fixing the floor. Same goes for people who bang weights in to walls/mirrors/etc. People who leave the treadmills on an inclination of about 10+ degrees. People who leave blue roll/tissues (especially sweaty dirty ones) all over the floor. That one person who is always "just finishing up" when you're trying to lock up and keeps going for an extra 15-20 minutes. Like, you know when we close, please just leave, we're hungry and tired. Lastly, those people who NEVER leave, they're there all day, from opening til closing. Damn, rant over, didn't realise I had so many pent up issues :')

wait, don't you get paid to do all these things?

Our cleaning lady, Pat, gets paid to clean our office buildings, but that doesn't mean I go around leaving trash all over the ground.

so gym staff should complain about having to re-rack weights and clean up the place where they work at? Back when I worked in restaurants I had to clean up all kinds of nasty stuff, I did it because I got paid to do it.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    the 45 minute each way drive it takes to get to the closest gym that actually contains a barbell that isn't captured by a smith machine.

• DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    lsutton484 wrote: »
    the 45 minute each way drive it takes to get to the closest gym that actually contains a barbell that isn't captured by a smith machine.

That sounds horrible! Maybe time to set up a kickass home gym?
  • emily_williams93
    emily_williams93 Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Deleted
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    People that hog the mirrors with the best lighting at the gym so I can't take 32 selfies during my 45 minute bicep workout. Because your workout doesn't count if you don't selfie every set, amirite???

Ummm right!? I mean, this is why I wear tight clothes and makeup to the gym. I prefer to takes selfies on a bench or in the squat rack too so I'm hogging equipment. Though I usually go somewhere in the 42 range. 10 before, 10 after, and one for every set.

For real though, I'm trying to increase my strength. So if I'm "hogging" a piece of equipment (usually a bench or squat rack) just know that I might have to rest for 5 minutes between sets if I failed a heavy set. That's my program. If you ask to work in I would be happy to oblige but for someone to get irrationally peeved at me because I'm doing my thing is kind of sad. I pay just as much as everyone else to go to the gym and just because my program isn't the same as your doesn't give anyone a right to be mad at me for it.

I do wear make up to the gym. I do grunt on some of my sets. And I will take over a bench/rack for an extended period of time. I'm not sorry, but I also don't get frustrated with other people who are there to do their thing.
  • fitgamercatlady
    fitgamercatlady Posts: 63 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    People that hog the mirrors with the best lighting at the gym so I can't take 32 selfies during my 45 minute bicep workout. Because your workout doesn't count if you don't selfie every set, amirite???
    ...I do wear make up to the gym. I do grunt on some of my sets. And I will take over a bench/rack for an extended period of time. I'm not sorry, but I also don't get frustrated with other people who are there to do their thing.

I wear makeup to the gym because I wear makeup to work and I go to the gym right after work. I'm not about to carry around makeup removing wipes just so people don't wrongfully judge me. Soooo sorry sir, next time I'll make sure to show up in my retainers and my gardening clothes.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    There has got to be about 50 threads with the exact same title Gym Pet Peeves. Can someone open a thread with gym annoyances or something???? :o
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Kimo159 wrote: »

Ummm right!? I mean, this is why I wear tight clothes and makeup to the gym. I prefer to takes selfies on a bench or in the squat rack too so I'm hogging equipment. Though I usually go somewhere in the 42 range. 10 before, 10 after, and one for every set.

For real though, I'm trying to increase my strength. So if I'm "hogging" a piece of equipment (usually a bench or squat rack) just know that I might have to rest for 5 minutes between sets if I failed a heavy set. That's my program. If you ask to work in I would be happy to oblige but for someone to get irrationally peeved at me because I'm doing my thing is kind of sad. I pay just as much as everyone else to go to the gym and just because my program isn't the same as your doesn't give anyone a right to be mad at me for it.

I do wear make up to the gym. I do grunt on some of my sets. And I will take over a bench/rack for an extended period of time. I'm not sorry, but I also don't get frustrated with other people who are there to do their thing.

Your selfie level: expert!

I'm in the gym to get stronger too so I sometimes will be in a rack for 30 minutes. But if I see someone watching me I'll ask if they want to work in because I need longer rests between heavy sets anyway.