Fast Food Greater Than 1000 Calories

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    This was my moment in McDonalds when I started on MFP. I was looking at the menu board and was contemplating a chicken sandwich at about 380 calories not bad. I was thinking about maybe getting some fries too when I noticed the "as a meal" up to 1330 calories. I stopped eating french fries and drinking sweet tea that day. I rarely eat there anymore either. I went on to lose over fifty pounds and eat so much differently now than I used to eat.

That must have included regular soda as the regular fries aren't 900+ calories

Apparently requires that you add large fries and a large sweet tea.
  • hlltwin
    hlltwin Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I used to work in food service. We would post our calories. I saw people balk at buying a slice of pizza (big slice - like the whole plate) when they saw that it was 400 calories. I was always like, is it a lot? Maybe but you have to eat and if you go to Wendy's (our closest situated competition) you're going to have a burger that's the same amount of calories plus fries into the bargain.

Even before I started on MFP, I tried to go by the recommendation that I heard somewhere of not eating out for over 600 calories in one meal. I wasn't always successful but it was a good general guideline at the time and it made me eat a reasonable meal when out at the mall or some place like that.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    hlltwin wrote: »
    The point of this...? Fast food is bad for us. We know this. Sitting down to eat a 32 oz shake is a bit excessive. I couldn't finish it, myself (not that I've tried but in the past the shakes I got were small 12 oz ones not the huge ones that are nearly 3X the size) The large fries are usually something I split with someone too, not try to eat by myself.

And CrabNebula is right... that's not a meatball sub.
    Fast food isn't "bad" for you. One just has to realize that if they plan to include it in their diet, they need to account for the nutritional value along with the calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    hmltwin wrote: »
    This was my moment in McDonalds when I started on MFP. I was looking at the menu board and was contemplating a chicken sandwich at about 380 calories not bad. I was thinking about maybe getting some fries too when I noticed the "as a meal" up to 1330 calories. I stopped eating french fries and drinking sweet tea that day. I rarely eat there anymore either. I went on to lose over fifty pounds and eat so much differently now than I used to eat.

The regular (medium) fries are 340 calories. I'm trying to figure out what the drink would have been.

I think the poster said sweet tea. Sure, if you get the super size sweet tea, and the large fries, then it is possible to envision that a value meal could be "up to" 1330 calories. But if you get just the sandwich, small fries, and a diet soda, then it is possible to have a meal with a reasonable calorie count. I eat a McDouble, one of the happy meal fry orders that my kids don't eat, and a diet coke and it is less than 500 cals.

Possibly forgetting the Apple Pie? What meal from McDonald's is complete without one of those things? Do they even make them anymore?

They make them, but they don't come with the meal (at least not where I live). The Value Meals are the sandwich, fries and a drink.
  • hlltwin
    Options

The regular (medium) fries are 340 calories. I'm trying to figure out what the drink would have been.

Exactly. Maybe it included a dessert? That never was crazy inflated

A large sweet tea is 220 calories and a large fry is 498 calories... but that still doesn't add up to 1330 calories... Maybe they were thinking a large soda?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    This thread made me hungry, btw.

hmltwin and hlltwin are confusing me with the replies.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

A large sweet tea is 220 calories and a large fry is 498 calories... but that still doesn't add up to 1330 calories... Maybe they were thinking a large soda?

I added it up and it came to 1330 exactly on the website.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »
    I'm proposing that people are misjudging their calories, MFP people have a better idea because they actually track their calories. But it is still very very easy to misjudge calories.

Which, by the way was not the reason I started this thread. I started it because any one thing being more then 1000 kcal is ridiculous.

That's not what you said in the OP, though. You said that there are "way more calories in foods than what we think" and proceeded to post pics of foods that one would have to be blind to not realize contained buttloads of calories.
    And some posts are basically saying "No **kitten** Sherlock!" :lol:

1000 or more calories for a restaurant meal is par for the course. I actually think I would be lucky to get away with only 1000 calories (not counting the labeled healthier options on the menu, of course).

The funny thing is, this inforgraphic only targets the obvious. How about this one?

Applebee's Oriental Grilled Chicken Salad: 1280 kcals.
    I could at least imagine someone getting duped by that, though I've never actually seen a picture of the thing, and that count does include dressing, though it doesn't specify which.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Specifics:

Chicken sandwich 380
    Large fries 510
    Large sweet tea 440
  • hlltwin
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    The point of this...? Fast food is bad for us. We know this. Sitting down to eat a 32 oz shake is a bit excessive. I couldn't finish it, myself (not that I've tried but in the past the shakes I got were small 12 oz ones not the huge ones that are nearly 3X the size) The large fries are usually something I split with someone too, not try to eat by myself.

And CrabNebula is right... that's not a meatball sub.
    Fast food isn't "bad" for you. One just has to realize that if they plan to include it in their diet, they need to account for the nutritional value along with the calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Sorry, I know. Nothing is bad as long as you plan for it. I meant fast food is calorie-dense, so I'm not shocked and I'm sure that no one on the site is shocked when they see big amounts of calories associated with it.

You can indeed eat anything you want as long as it fits your calorie goals and macros.
  • Alluminati
    Options
    I'm proposing that people are misjudging their calories, MFP people have a better idea because they actually track their calories. But it is still very very easy to misjudge calories.

Which, by the way was not the reason I started this thread. I started it because any one thing being more then 1000 kcal is ridiculous.

That's not what you said in the OP, though. You said that there are "way more calories in foods than what we think" and proceeded to post pics of foods that one would have to be blind to not realize contained buttloads of calories.

1000 or more calories for a restaurant meal is par for the course. I actually think I would be lucky to get away with only 1000 calories (not counting the labeled healthier options on the menu, of course).

The funny thing is, this inforgraphic only targets the obvious. How about this one?

I could at least imagine someone getting duped by that, though I've never actually seen a picture of the thing, and that count does include dressing, though it doesn't specify which.

Of course, and I agree. Like I said, it's the stuff you don't suspect that gets one in trouble. Most people think fast food automatically makes them fat already (it doesn't). So they think no problem, I will stop eating fast food and just eat health food like salads and peanut butter.
  • hmltwin
    Options

There's a picture here.

I could totally be duped by that. The description is, "Fresh Asian greens tossed in a tasty Oriental vinaigrette and topped with crispy noodles, toasted almonds and golden fried chicken." It sounds great and rather healthy too. The salad itself is rather huge. I've never managed to eat the whole thing.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options

I am willing to bet that most people looking at all those pictures would of thought 850 kcal or less for almost all of them. Also, like I said, "I found this interesting." Interesting that I could go to a chain restaurant and order something with more then 1000 calories. Interesting that most of those pictures don't look like they would be more then 1000 kcal.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

There's a picture here.

I could totally be duped by that. The description is, "Fresh Asian greens tossed in a tasty Oriental vinaigrette and topped with crispy noodles, toasted almonds and golden fried chicken." It sounds great and rather healthy too. The salad itself is rather huge. I've never managed to eat the whole thing.

Mine was for the grilled chicken. The one with fried chicken strips is more like 1420 kcal.
  • hlltwin
    Options

Specifics:

Chicken sandwich 380
    Large fries 510
    Large sweet tea 440

I stand corrected... did you ever think to perhaps try a smaller portion size? If you have totally sworn off McDonalds and that works for you. That's fine. I still like it and it's a nice treat now and then.
  • hmltwin
    Options

I am willing to bet that most people looking at all those pictures would of thought 850 kcal or less for almost all of them. Also, like I said, "I found this interesting." Interesting that I could go to a chain restaurant and order something with more then 1000 calories. Interesting that most of those pictures don't look like they would be more then 1000 kcal.

Maybe it's just me, but none of those pictures showed things that were surprisingly over 1000 calories. Except for the chicken tender basket. That's a lot of calories for four chicken tenders, a slice of toast and french fries. The Applebee's salad being over 1000 calories is a lot more surprising to me - just judging by it's picture. Seeing the actual salad they bring you? Yeah, not surprised after that.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Specifics:

Chicken sandwich 380
    Large fries 510
    Large sweet tea 440

I stand corrected... did you ever think to perhaps try a smaller portion size? If you have totally sworn off McDonalds and that works for you. That's fine. I still like it and it's a nice treat now and then.

After reading that, it's actually no wonder I lost weight when I first started my job 12 years ago, and was poor as hell, living in my pickup truck. My daily food intake was 4 McChickens with no Mayo (because they were a dollar), and I was working manual labor 12 hours per day.

Dat poverty food.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I love my 1020 calorie pizza express American hot pizza with extra chilli oil drizzled on the top (Another 60-80 calories) and extra Parmesan (Another 80ish calories).

If people care about calories they will work them out or not eat it. Most people just don't care and wouldn't if you told them at point of ordering. Fast food places sell what people buy.
  • Alluminati
    Options

Maybe you missed this reply
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Most people don't track calories to begin with. If you aren't tracking calories, then you don't have a benchmark by which to say whether or not the calories in a large sonic shake are reasonable for you or not. That's one of the things that I think is interesting about all these restaurants posting calorie counts on their menus. If a person doesn't know their TDEE, doesn't have a calorie target to shoot for (whether trying to lose, gain or maintain), and doesn't know the calorie count of the foods they eat on a daily basis that they prepare themselves - then how is knowing that a Panera Bacon Turkey Bravo has 399 cals for a half sandwich - helpful for them?