1235»

Replies

• hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    hmltwin wrote: »
    Alluminati wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »
    I'm proposing that people are misjudging their calories, MFP people have a better idea because they actually track their calories. But it is still very very easy to misjudge calories.

Which, by the way was not the reason I started this thread. I started it because any one thing being more then 1000 kcal is ridiculous.

That's not what you said in the OP, though. You said that there are "way more calories in foods than what we think" and proceeded to post pics of foods that one would have to be blind to not realize contained buttloads of calories.
    And some posts are basically saying "No **kitten** Sherlock!" :lol:

1000 or more calories for a restaurant meal is par for the course. I actually think I would be lucky to get away with only 1000 calories (not counting the labeled healthier options on the menu, of course).

The funny thing is, this inforgraphic only targets the obvious. How about this one?

Applebee's Oriental Grilled Chicken Salad: 1280 kcals.
    I could at least imagine someone getting duped by that, though I've never actually seen a picture of the thing, and that count does include dressing, though it doesn't specify which.

There's a picture here.

I could totally be duped by that. The description is, "Fresh Asian greens tossed in a tasty Oriental vinaigrette and topped with crispy noodles, toasted almonds and golden fried chicken." It sounds great and rather healthy too. The salad itself is rather huge. I've never managed to eat the whole thing.

Mine was for the grilled chicken. The one with fried chicken strips is more like 1420 kcal.

They don't have a picture for the grilled one, but... it would probably look about the same. It's still shocking for a salad to have so many calories. They're pretty big salads, but I would not be expecting it.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I love my 1020 calorie pizza express American hot pizza with extra chilli oil drizzled on the top (Another 60-80 calories) and extra Parmesan (Another 80ish calories).

If people care about calories they will work them out or not eat it. Most people just don't care and wouldn't if you told them at point of ordering. Fast food places sell what people buy.

I saved my calories up for 3 slices of pepperoni pie and 2 beers. I may or may not add in a serving of ice cream. Your post made me excited.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    The funny thing is, this inforgraphic only targets the obvious. How about this one?

Applebee's Oriental Grilled Chicken Salad: 1280 kcals.
    I could at least imagine someone getting duped by that, though I've never actually seen a picture of the thing, and that count does include dressing, though it doesn't specify which.

There's a picture here.

I could totally be duped by that. The description is, "Fresh Asian greens tossed in a tasty Oriental vinaigrette and topped with crispy noodles, toasted almonds and golden fried chicken." It sounds great and rather healthy too. The salad itself is rather huge. I've never managed to eat the whole thing.[/quote]

After you get a hang of this weight management lifestyle, you read that description like this:

Vinaigrette? Doesn't say fat free, so calories.
    Crispy noodles? Calories
    Toasted almonds? Calories
    Fried chicken? Oh better believe that's some calories.

I honestly avoid salads eating out unless they are basically plain veggies or just have some grilled chicken with fat free dressing on the side.
  • hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »

After you get a hang of this weight management lifestyle, you read that description like this:

Vinaigrette? Doesn't say fat free, so calories.
    Crispy noodles? Calories
    Toasted almonds? Calories
    Fried chicken? Oh better believe that's some calories.

I honestly avoid salads eating out unless they are basically plain veggies or just have some grilled chicken with fat free dressing on the side.

The one I found was fried chicken... The one that was 1280 kcals had grilled chicken. Yeah, it had other things with calories too, but it was grilled - not fried chicken.

I'll also say this: calories are not the enemy. I need them to live. I just have to be careful how many of them I eat. Once, I might have tried to eat the entire Oriental Grilled Chicken Salad - all 1280 kcals of it - now, I'd probably eat half and bring the rest home for another meal. Two meals of 640 kcals.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    This is why I always just order plain ribeye with no sides at those places. I may not be able to completely accurately gauge the weight without a scale, but at least I can form a pretty good idea of what I'm throwing down.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    hlltwin wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    This was my moment in McDonalds when I started on MFP. I was looking at the menu board and was contemplating a chicken sandwich at about 380 calories not bad. I was thinking about maybe getting some fries too when I noticed the "as a meal" up to 1330 calories. I stopped eating french fries and drinking sweet tea that day. I rarely eat there anymore either. I went on to lose over fifty pounds and eat so much differently now than I used to eat.

That must have included regular soda as the regular fries aren't 900+ calories

The regular (medium) fries are 340 calories. I'm trying to figure out what the drink would have been.

Exactly. Maybe it included a dessert? That never was crazy inflated

A large sweet tea is 220 calories and a large fry is 498 calories... but that still doesn't add up to 1330 calories... Maybe they were thinking a large soda?

I added it up and it came to 1330 exactly on the website.

Specifics:

Chicken sandwich 380
    Large fries 510
    Large sweet tea 440

I stand corrected... did you ever think to perhaps try a smaller portion size? If you have totally sworn off McDonalds and that works for you. That's fine. I still like it and it's a nice treat now and then.

I wasn't the person who swore off sweet tea and fries. Just being helpful! (I don't like McD's or sweet tea, so wouldn't need to swear off either, and I'm certainly not swearing off good fries, which I love.)
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    dairy queen's 6 piece chicken strip basket has less calories than the 4 piece?

lol
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me how you fry Pepsi?
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Like you deep fry anything else I guess. Freeze it in an ice cube tray, batter, and fry. Heh.

But seriously, it is a thing...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fried_Coke
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,203 Member
    Options

They make a batter that has a large amount of soda as one of the ingredients. I've never seen a recipe that batter coats frozen soda, only ones that have soda as a batter ingredient.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I expect my meals to be less then 1000 calories a sitting...

I don't. My normal dinner is 1200 calories. If I did a full day of hiking, I may be looking at well over 2000 calories for a meal.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    the only thing that came to mind was.... um duh. how is any of this news... it isnt thats why. You can't expect restaurants to worry about your calorie consumption. If you are going through life blind (no disrespect to those actually blind) you have no one to blame. who gets a 4x4 at in and out and is in shock and awe about the calories. come on now.

edit- moderation is the spice of life... fast food is delicious and I will be having about a 2k calorie at melting pot tonight woo!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

The same way you fry ice cream.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    There are people that would eat an entire blooming onion and think, hey it's an onion, it won't have alot of calories. But... 1954 kcal.

Really? Only 1,954?? I am so making that work one day. Deliciousness.

Honestly, other than the Quad Bypass Burger, I could find a way to fit the majority of those items in if I really wanted. I just wouldn't find it to be worth it very often.

Also, my dinner last night was over 1,000 calories. Not that unusual.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I think by now most people are aware that taking an entire onion, battering it and deep frying it is a snack best shared among friends. When I see people at places offering them, most people are sharing them, not sitting down to eat the whole thing solo.

There are people that would eat an entire blooming onion...

LOL! Just saw this.

• Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    To be fair, who actually orders a 32oz shake and drinks the whole thing by themselves without throwing up after?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    To be fair, who actually orders a 32oz shake and drinks the whole thing by themselves without throwing up after?

People who like brainfreezes or warm milkshake by the time they're done with it?