Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Donut post workout anyone???

Options

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It's a thing. I assume it's mostly the alliteration and because lots of people like donuts and they make for good photos: https://doughnutsanddeadlifts.com/

Hoooly crap with that hat. How does an organization peddling an interesting idea, get so involved with selling douchewear?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Think I ate my last doughnut about 5 years ago or more. No appeal to me at all.
  • Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I say trial and error is the best as we're all different. I
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Are we talking Krispy Kreme or Greggs? It would sway my decision. I would rather just stick to my usual banana and save the calorie deficit for wine in all honesty...
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I would think a donut might undo the work you just did, though its your biz so if you want one have at it. Personally I find they give me heartburn and the spike in the blood sugar, along with the crash that soon follows, is really unpleasant.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    I would think a donut might undo the work you just did, though its your biz so if you want one have at it. Personally I find they give me heartburn and the spike in the blood sugar, along with the crash that soon follows, is really unpleasant.

Not if you'd planned it into your calories, as I believe the people who promote this do.

It wouldn't be my choice either, but that's kind of like saying by having a meal after a workout (which is usually how I time it), I'm undoing the work.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Sugarbeat wrote: »

Not if you'd planned it into your calories, as I believe the people who promote this do.

It wouldn't be my choice either, but that's kind of like saying by having a meal after a workout (which is usually how I time it), I'm undoing the work.

I know, which is why I said might.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    gfwtk6qqe89w.jpeg
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    gfwtk6qqe89w.jpeg

I am almost convinced that you alone, are the reason they keep making those things. I haven't seen nor heard of another person eating them in a good ten years. ;)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    gfwtk6qqe89w.jpeg

I am almost convinced that you alone, are the reason they keep making those things. I haven't seen nor heard of another person eating them in a good ten years. ;)

Yea, lots of people make comments like that when I load up on bags of them. Lol.
  • Zealand4530
    Zealand4530 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    1 donut pre workout 2 donuts after
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    gfwtk6qqe89w.jpeg

I keep them around for my niece and nephew.
  • sbubenchik
    sbubenchik Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you I guess.. Personally I don't see how any pastry could fit into any balanced diet no mater what your overall goal is. If you lift heavy with proper form, eat right and get plenty of rest, you will make all the gains you want without putting on extra fat. That's what just works for me. Gains come from recovery, fast recovery comes from rest and nutrition..
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Won't protein alone spike insulin? Doesn't fat interfere with protein absorption i.e. donuts are high in fat..?

Why not just do gummy bears, glucose, or even granola for that matter?

Whey protein alone will elevate insulin sufficiently.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    sbubenchik wrote: »
    Whatever works for you I guess.. Personally I don't see how any pastry could fit into any balanced diet no mater what your overall goal is. If you lift heavy with proper form, eat right and get plenty of rest, you will make all the gains you want without putting on extra fat. That's what just works for me. Gains come from recovery, fast recovery comes from rest and nutrition..

Maybe one every couple of weeks or so, but sure not every day.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Gummy bears would give a better spike.

And pixie sticks. Really any candy that is dextrose based will do this.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Won't protein alone spike insulin? Doesn't fat interfere with protein absorption i.e. donuts are high in fat..?

Why not just do gummy bears, glucose, or even granola for that matter?

Whey protein alone will elevate insulin sufficiently.

Add in the fact that many protein shakes add dextrose and maladextrin; it makes for a good combo.

Also @RoxieDawn one of the main reasons to have carbs also either pre- or post-workout is it prevents protein degredation.