Why is shirtless running ok only if you "have the right body type"?

Options

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Free the nipple! For some on this thread this applies to men as well as women. When did we become so offended by something we all have? A body? Surely it's healthier from a psychological development point of view to be comfortable with the notion we come in all shapes and sizes and we should get on with our lives regardless of what is underneath our clothing?

I don't see it much here. But go to Scotland on any sunny day almost any day of the year and you'll see lots of "lads" with their "taps aff", actual temperature be damned. It's a tourist attraction really.

brb booking flight to Scotland

I'll see you there!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Free the nipple! For some on this thread this applies to men as well as women. When did we become so offended by something we all have? A body? Surely it's healthier from a psychological development point of view to be comfortable with the notion we come in all shapes and sizes and we should get on with our lives regardless of what is underneath our clothing?

I don't see it much here. But go to Scotland on any sunny day almost any day of the year and you'll see lots of "lads" with their "taps aff", actual temperature be damned. It's a tourist attraction really.

Taps aff? I need a definition, ty. Lol

Tops off, heh.

Fair warning, they mostly look nothing like Sean Connery in his prime. And are blindingly white skinned (as I am).
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Well duh! Got to go to Sotland now!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Sued0nim wrote: »

I wouldn't if I were you
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I'll see you there!
    Don't do it

No you don't

Google Rab C Nesbitt

That's hawt!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

I wouldn't if I were you

I'll see you there!
    Don't do it

No you don't

Google Rab C Nesbitt

Go to Scotland. Just not for hot topless men.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

I wouldn't if I were you

I'll see you there!
    Don't do it

No you don't

Google Rab C Nesbitt

Argh! You made Google! Nvm, not going!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    pdxhak wrote: »
    I am reading this thread shirtless. Is that OK?! LOL...

Me too
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Regarding the original post --- I say do you. As long as you're not breaking any laws (like, don't run with your junk swinging around) then I say have at it.

If I see someone running shirtless or a woman running in a sports bra I don't think twice about it. They're exercising and it's often more comfortable that way vs fully clothed.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    yesimpson wrote: »
    It's part of emotional maturity. When you are over 35, you are pretty much in fatherhood territory and you need to set an example and not come across as the show off to passers by especially when there are children, teens and very young women around... Like in their late teens and early 20s.

Because you no longer fit the bill for young and dashing and society looks up to you to set an example. If I were 45 and I had a daughter... I'd never create a chance for her or her peers look at my shirtless body in my effing neighbourhood, and provide room for discussion. It's wrong on so many levels. Yet many dudes do this because they just seek the attention, because age is just a number and emotional maturity is often not proportional to age.

When I was a teenager and woman in her early 20s, I do not recall being emotionally scarred by the sight of an exposed chest or back belonging to a man over 35. I'm really not sure why this is something you find so inappropriate. Maybe men just get hot, and it's not necessarily a form of peacocking?

I don't think that poster was implying that the young ladies would be emotionally scarred. He was implying that the 20 yr old girls (his daughters friends, presumably) would be ogling his hot dad body and talking amongst their friends in the neighborhood.

Roflmao.

Not ogling. Admiring. The human body can be an art form, in whatever shape or form. ;)

It can, but some of us are little more Picasso, and a lot less Rembrandt.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Running shirtless, walking topless, wearing a wife beater, it is all about societal expectations. Society, at least american, says that men and woman should have these very idealized bodies and those that don't are inferior or less than attractive. Thats just the way it is like it or not society has set those expectations, you can go against those expectations or go with the flow.

Personally I run with a tank top or a "dry" fabric type shirt. I don't have an attractive body and don't have the desire to let the world view my saggy empty skin.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Alluminati wrote: »
    yesimpson wrote: »
    It's part of emotional maturity. When you are over 35, you are pretty much in fatherhood territory and you need to set an example and not come across as the show off to passers by especially when there are children, teens and very young women around... Like in their late teens and early 20s.

Because you no longer fit the bill for young and dashing and society looks up to you to set an example. If I were 45 and I had a daughter... I'd never create a chance for her or her peers look at my shirtless body in my effing neighbourhood, and provide room for discussion. It's wrong on so many levels. Yet many dudes do this because they just seek the attention, because age is just a number and emotional maturity is often not proportional to age.

When I was a teenager and woman in her early 20s, I do not recall being emotionally scarred by the sight of an exposed chest or back belonging to a man over 35. I'm really not sure why this is something you find so inappropriate. Maybe men just get hot, and it's not necessarily a form of peacocking?

I don't think that poster was implying that the young ladies would be emotionally scarred. He was implying that the 20 yr old girls (his daughters friends, presumably) would be ogling his hot dad body and talking amongst their friends in the neighborhood.

Roflmao.

To be fair, the poster you're referring to never implied that he would be ogled. I remember the vicious things that people said as teenagers. Some people don't want their kids to have deal with people snickering about their dad's paunch or nudist tendencies.
    Relax. It's just a shirtless runner. It's not that deep.
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    In honor of this thread maybe Aug 14th should be "Shirtless Day"? Children and neighbors will cringe, snicker and be shamed all at the same time.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Running shirtless, walking topless, wearing a wife beater, it is all about societal expectations. Society, at least american, says that men and woman should have these very idealized bodies and those that don't are inferior or less than attractive. Thats just the way it is like it or not society has set those expectations, you can go against those expectations or go with the flow.

Personally I run with a tank top or a "dry" fabric type shirt. I don't have an attractive body and don't have the desire to let the world view my saggy empty skin.

Wearing a what now?
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I just did an 11 mile run today in super high humidity with temps in the low 80's. I wore a shirt and always do. Why? It's my preference.

On the trail, I run by all sorts of people with all sorts of body types / sizes / ages and garments. I do one thing only - wave to them. Could give a rats *kitten* what they have on.

I suppose the people that judge this, also judge people in tights when the weather gets cold - if you happen to live in that sort of climate.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Wearing a what now?

Wifebeater, known in the more civilized parts of the world, as an A-shirt, or some such silliness:
    big-and-tall-t-shirts-wife-beaters.jpg