Why is shirtless running ok only if you "have the right body type"?

Options

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Running shirtless, walking topless, wearing a wife beater, it is all about societal expectations. Society, at least american, says that men and woman should have these very idealized bodies and those that don't are inferior or less than attractive. Thats just the way it is like it or not society has set those expectations, you can go against those expectations or go with the flow.

Personally I run with a tank top or a "dry" fabric type shirt. I don't have an attractive body and don't have the desire to let the world view my saggy empty skin.

Wearing a what now?

Dwight-in-wife-beater-sexy-dwight-schrute-14618801-500-280.jpg
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Running shirtless, walking topless, wearing a wife beater, it is all about societal expectations. Society, at least american, says that men and woman should have these very idealized bodies and those that don't are inferior or less than attractive. Thats just the way it is like it or not society has set those expectations, you can go against those expectations or go with the flow.

Personally I run with a tank top or a "dry" fabric type shirt. I don't have an attractive body and don't have the desire to let the world view my saggy empty skin.

Wearing a what now?

Wifebeater, known in the more civilized parts of the world, as an A-shirt, or some such silliness:
    big-and-tall-t-shirts-wife-beaters.jpg

Vest or tank top
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Wearing a what now?

Wifebeater, known in the more civilized parts of the world, as an A-shirt, or some such silliness:

Vest or tank top

Those two things describe a very wide variety of things. Wifebeater is very specific article of clothing, though as I said, the manufacturer's name for it is A-shirt, but probably only because someone would get mad about the more common name being on a clothing package.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Wearing a what now?

Vest or tank top

Undershirt.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Wearing a what now?

Vest or tank top

Those two things describe a very wide variety of things. Wifebeater is very specific article of clothing, though as I said, the manufacturer's name for it is A-shirt, but probably only because someone would get mad about the more common name being on a clothing package.

Come to my country and ask for a wifebeater or an A shirt and you're getting nowt

Vest or tank top is what they are specifically called in the UK
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Wearing a what now?

Vest or tank top

Come to my country and ask for a wifebeater or an A shirt and you're getting nowt

Um, hi, you know me, a Brit. I call them wife beaters, have since forever, my ex wore them a lot (BMXer), his wife beater of choice came from M&S in multi-packs, ha.
  • JeffMatchett
    JeffMatchett Posts: 43 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Honestly don't care who has their shirt off. They're just nipples.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    I don't care what other people choose to wear, although I think it's always more dignified for a man to wear a shirt in public, unless you're at the pool or the beach, no matter how good you look. Little boys can go shirtless. I started keeping my shirt on when I was about 7. I'd give boys at least until age 10.
    Precisely the point. There is no debate about it. They sell all kinds of cotton shirts to combat hot weather.

No. Never do any strenuous activity in a cotton shirt. Ever.

Cotton is probably the worst fabric you can wear if you're going to be exercising. It's gonna soak up sweat, get gross, sticky, and chafe. It also makes it harder for your body to regulate temperature because the sweat won't evaporate.

Don't get me wrong - I love cotton for most uses, particularly for dress shirts as it's the easiest and quickest to iron, and my regular clothing is almost always 100% cotton, but if you're out running, you need a technical fabric.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Wearing a what now?

Vest or tank top

Yeah, it was a shock for me too when I first heard it. Turns out it's a very specific type of sleeveless undershirt, it has to be white and ribbed. Any other color or type of material does not qualify.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Wearing a what now?

Vest or tank top

Yeah, it was a shock for me too when I first heard it. Turns out it's a very specific type of sleeveless undershirt, it has to be white and ribbed. Any other color or type of material does not qualify.

It really is best with beer stains.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Wearing a what now?

I believe many will say the term wife beater became popular with the US tv show Cops. The show followed police officers on their shifts and filmed the action. Often the police would be called for a domestic incident and they would show the suspect cuffed and being led out of the house or trailer wearing the "wife beater" shirt.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Wearing a what now?

Vest or tank top

It really is best with beer stains.

That's alcohol abuse.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I read this whole kitten thread and haven't seen a single shirtless pic posted yet. How else can I form a solid opinion?
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Shirtless running isn't really a thing in this part of the world.

Now rushing out in the first bit of rare sunshine and basking in a garden chair until you're lobster coloured....
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Rab-C-Nesbitt_280_976389a.jpg
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Hawt.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Free the nipple! For some on this thread this applies to men as well as women. When did we become so offended by something we all have? A body? Surely it's healthier from a psychological development point of view to be comfortable with the notion we come in all shapes and sizes and we should get on with our lives regardless of what is underneath our clothing?

I don't see it much here. But go to Scotland on any sunny day almost any day of the year and you'll see lots of "lads" with their "taps aff", actual temperature be damned. It's a tourist attraction really.

brb booking flight to Scotland

I wouldn't if I were you
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    Free the nipple! For some on this thread this applies to men as well as women. When did we become so offended by something we all have? A body? Surely it's healthier from a psychological development point of view to be comfortable with the notion we come in all shapes and sizes and we should get on with our lives regardless of what is underneath our clothing?

I don't see it much here. But go to Scotland on any sunny day almost any day of the year and you'll see lots of "lads" with their "taps aff", actual temperature be damned. It's a tourist attraction really.

brb booking flight to Scotland

I'll see you there!
    Don't do it
    I haven't had any in years, I take what I can get. My husband looks worse than Rab Nesbitt.