Why is shirtless running ok only if you "have the right body type"?

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I don't care if the guy is fat or fit. Put an effing shirt on. You're not at home lounging around half naked, you are out in public.

When i see a shirtless guy jogging around the neighborhood, my first thought is he's thinking "look at me, look at me". Same thing goes for women bouncing around in their tiny sports bra and even smaller shorts.
    When i used to walk/jog around the streets i would wear baggy shorts and tshirt, because i have no desire or need to be ogled/validated by passing complete strangers, so i tried to look as daggy and unattractive as possible.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I don't care if the guy is fat or fit. Put an effing shirt on. You're not at home lounging around half naked, you are out in public.

When i see a shirtless guy jogging around the neighborhood, my first thought is he's thinking "look at me, look at me". Same thing goes for women bouncing around in their tiny sports bra and even smaller shorts.
    When i used to walk/jog around the streets i would wear baggy shorts and tshirt, because i have no desire or need to ogled/validated my passing complete strangers.

Running shirtless isn't really a big thing here. I have found that it really depends on where you are.
    But there is the odd couple of people I know who do it, particularly in races. They are also the type of people who are the last person to do things to get ogled/validated.
  • Christine_72
    Options

When i used to walk/jog around the streets i would wear baggy shorts and tshirt, because i have no desire or need to be ogled/validated by passing complete strangers, so i tried to look as daggy and unattractive as possible.

If you were more comfortable that way, great. If you were courting chafing and overheating just so you could feel morally superior to others, that's a shame.

Have never overheated or had chafing.

• Christine_72
    Options

Maybe nobody was looking at you regardless of what you were wearing. Same goes for a guy without a shirt. People are very self centered nowadays..... How could you stand running in baggy clothes? I would think that would be distracting and irritating to me. I hate when a baggy shirt flops around when I'm running. Drives me crazy. That's my personal opinion.

I really dislike when cars honk or guys yell sleazy stuff out their car windows etc etc etc etc So, like i said i dressed in a way that helped avoid
    those annoyances.
  • Christine_72
    Options

If you were more comfortable that way, great. If you were courting chafing and overheating just so you could feel morally superior to others, that's a shame.

Lucky you.

?format=1000w

I honestly have no idea. What do you guys do in winter when it's snowing and freezing? Surely guys don't go shirtless then. Or doesn't chafing happen in winter? Truly have no idea.

• 3dogsrunning
    edited August 2016
    Options

Lucky you.

?format=1000w

I honestly have no idea. What do you guys do in winter when it's snowing and freezing? Surely guys don't go shirtless then. Or doesn't chafing happen in winter? Truly have no idea.

I don't sweat as bad in the cold. I still get the odd chafing but not nearly as bad as summer.
    And the shirtless guys I know still run when it gets pretty cold shirtless. Not full on winter but deep into the shoulder seasons.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with having the confidence. My neighborhood girls walk their dogs in bikinis. Ladies run in sports bras and most guys run shirtless. There are always shirtless guys on the tennis courts. I like being surrounded by confidence.
  • Christine_72
    Options

So because you are running around in baggy clothes judging other people, you are better than the guy running shirtless minding his own business?

Where did say I was better? Some people love getting attention, other aren't fussed about it or want/need it, i just happen to fall in the latter category.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Lucky you.

?format=1000w

I don't sweat as bad in the cold. I still get the odd chafing but not nearly as bad as summer.
    And the shirtless guys I know still run when it gets pretty cold shirtless. Not full on winter but deep into the shoulder seasons.

Same. Also it doesn't snow where I live and may not even dip below freezing, even in the three weeks we call "winter."

It definitely snows here. I know a guy who wore a tank top and gloves in the coldest race I can remember doing. I was frozen. He was also probably running twice as fast as me too so...
  • mmdolly56
    mmdolly56 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It's simply a matter of aesthetics; if you are visually inclined the sight of someone visually unappealing is well, unappealing. If you don't notice that sort of stuff do your thang.
  • Christine_72
    Options

If you're at the beach..put an effing shirt on..you're not at home lounging around half-naked. Well..that seems effing ridiculous..just as viewing the person as "half-naked" is effing ridiculous.

If your first thought is "he's thinking "look at me, look at me" I wonder why in the hell that would be your first thought..especially, if you're someone on this forum, who seems to be into fitness?

If you think those women bouncing around in their tiny sports bras and even smaller shorts (say..wait..what neighborhood do you live in? I may have to jog there..cuz I'm not seeing that where I am at..and I live right next to one of..if not THE MOST POPULAR athletic club in the area) Just your words there..makes it seem to be ..you have some hang-ups?

I would have thought , your first thought would be "good for them"? There out getting fit..and maybe they look good too!

Seems like you're self-conscious with nudity, half-nakedness and bodies in general, if you have a fear of being ogled and problems with men with their shirts off, being half-naked and women running around in their scandalous teeny shorts and tiny sports bras?

I could be completely wrong of course, but that's my first thoughts in reading what you wrote?

The beach is the beach, one expects to see shirtless men or bikini clad women there.

I am very confident and don't have a fear of being ogled, it is just incredibly irritating. When i was a teenager i enjoyed attention from boys, but the older I've got the less i give a F what total strangers think of me or if they find me attractive enough to honk their horn or yell out charming things at me when i'm trying to go about my business.

I know some women who get upset if they aren't gawked at. They are incredibly insecure and far from confident, they need that validation to prove to themselves that they are desired/attractive.

What would you call a guy wearing just a pair of shorts and nothing else? Half naked or perhaps half dressed :wink:

Sorry guys, my opinion of these people will never change. I've met too many show ponies in my life time, they're pretty easy to spot. I will continue to roll my eyes and chuckle to myself when i see them. You can hate me for my opinion and deny or acknowledge that some people are like this. It makes no difference to me.

Debating this is pointless, and will end up with someone being reported and chucked in jail. So with that i'm out, I have given my opinion to the the opening post which is all i came here to do, not to belittle, justify or argue back and forth.