How long did it take you to fully get over your first heartbreak?

Options
124»

Replies

• deadliftsandnoodles
    deadliftsandnoodles Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    3 months. Always feels great to get past it when you realise it was just one person and there is better out there
  • kellkee16
    kellkee16 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I met the guy who I thought was my soul mate 5 years ago. We clicked and liked eachother from the moment we saw eachother. It started out as fwb and just went on from there and I fell for him blindlyyy. We didn't work out & its been along time. but it still hurts every now and then.
  • christinew0430
    christinew0430 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just got my heart broken 2 days ago...5 & 1/2 years gone just like that! Im devastated, im having a really hard time with it. He just comes home from work one day and leaves, with not a single ounce of emotion. I think that made it hurt even more.
  • Muppyooh
    Muppyooh Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I just got my heart broken 2 days ago...5 & 1/2 years gone just like that! Im devastated, im having a really hard time with it. He just comes home from work one day and leaves, with not a single ounce of emotion. I think that made it hurt even more.

So sorry you're going through this. When I had my heart broken, my friends would tell me "this too shall pass"
    ❤️❤️
  • jaxass
    jaxass Posts: 2,128 Member
    Options
    He may have been the perfect guy for you, but you weren't the perfect girl for him. Otherwise, you two would still be together.

Why would you want to be with a man who doesn't want to be with you? You deserve so much more than that. You deserve to find a man who adores you, worships you and loves you with all of his heart. This other guy obviously didn't and has given you an opportunity to find THAT man.

Consider yourself lucky. You could've been in a broken relationship for years, which never ends well.

Good luck!
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    so many people strive to get past pain they fail to find the beauty in being 'in-process'. Folks should consider healing at whatever pace they happen to heal but be exactly happy in their current level of 'getting over' because whether they know it or not they are absolutely living through the change that will make them a better, stronger person.
  • memickee
    memickee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I can't even remember, it was so long ago. Historically, it takes me a good while to even be interested in dating after a break up. However, the GOOD news is that you eventually get over it, and what seemed to be paramount back then will just be a distant memory. It doesn't seem like it now, but one day it won't even matter.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    a night out with the lads!
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I got my heart broken three years ago, and I still am not over it. He made me so happy, and I have never met anyone I thought was more perfect for me. I still cry regularly about it, and although I've dated others, no one can compare. At this point, do you think it is worth even dating? Do you think that although I think he is perfect for me, I can find someone else someday who I think is equally as perfect (or more)? Should I just accept that he was my true love and try and have a happy life of being single?

What would you guys do, and how long did it take to get over your first love? Did you feel the same way I did, that you would never find anyone as amazing? Getting back together or reaching out to him is not an option, he hates me.

Thanks for your input!

Oh, honey. I haven't read any of the other responses to you yet. I had to stop and answer.

I wish you did not feel this way. You seriously need to let this man who hates you go. You do not need to be imprisoned by someone who hates you. There are so many really great men out there, and you are presently (apparently) restricting yourself, avoiding happiness. You are worth so much more than that. Do you really hate yourself that much?!

I hope someone here gave you some good advice. I am certainly not relationship expert. I don't have any words of wisdom.

Since you asked, however, yes, I've had my heart broken a few times, but I managed to move on. My first heart break was when my first boyfriend was killed by a drunk driver. I admit it: I still think of him, still love him. But he does not dominate my life.

My second heartbreak was when my first husband was killed in a plane accident. We had two children, and I set out to rear them alone, after dating soon became disdainful to me. And yes, I still love him, but I eventually moved on.

I remaried ten years after he was gone. My present husband and I have been married 29 years, and I could not be happier with anyone else. He is so good to me. He loves me and makes sure I never forget that. Bluntly, I have a serious illness -- one that may force me to live a long time with it, that makes me sick almost daily -- and he just stays on, encourages me, loves me. We are both now retired, living 24/7 in the same little house, and we are doing well in that way.

Now, why would you deny yourself similar happiness?