Why is shirtless running ok only if you "have the right body type"?

Options

Replies

• Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    So what prompted the first post -- has OP revealed it? I've never heard anyone complaining about shirtless runners. There's a 70+ guy I see running shirtless all the time, I just think good for him for being out running. Whatever makes you more comfortable.

I'd also roll my eyes at some guy complaining that people judge him for running topless when it's actually illegal for me to do it (in a sports bra isn't topless), except I wouldn't want to for obvious comfort reasons anyway.

I rolled my eyes at that too. It must be nice to feel the sun on your nipples. If I ran topless I'd be arrested.
    Also I have never seen a shirtless guy be cat called at or hollered at the way women runners are (regardless if we're wearing a sport bra or a baggy shirt). I actually stopped running outside because of that.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    So what prompted the first post -- has OP revealed it? I've never heard anyone complaining about shirtless runners. There's a 70+ guy I see running shirtless all the time, I just think good for him for being out running. Whatever makes you more comfortable.

I'd also roll my eyes at some guy complaining that people judge him for running topless when it's actually illegal for me to do it (in a sports bra isn't topless), except I wouldn't want to for obvious comfort reasons anyway.

I rolled my eyes at that too. It must be nice to feel the sun on your nipples. If I ran topless I'd be arrested.
    Also I have never seen a shirtless guy be cat called at or hollered at the way women runners are (regardless if we're wearing a sport bra or a baggy shirt). I actually stopped running outside because of that.

I would bail you out of Jail..lol..
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    doo7mpyhweqh.jpg

This repulsive!! LOL

Running in jeans is pretty repulsive to me. I'd die of chafing.
  • gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Oh myy.... shirtless an barefoot. *swoons*!
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    doo7mpyhweqh.jpg

This repulsive!! LOL

Yes! Cover those bare feet!
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Running shirtless, walking topless, wearing a wife beater, it is all about societal expectations. Society, at least american, says that men and woman should have these very idealized bodies and those that don't are inferior or less than attractive. Thats just the way it is like it or not society has set those expectations, you can go against those expectations or go with the flow.

Personally I run with a tank top or a "dry" fabric type shirt. I don't have an attractive body and don't have the desire to let the world view my saggy empty skin.

Wearing a what now?

Wifebeater, known in the more civilized parts of the world, as an A-shirt, or some such silliness:
    big-and-tall-t-shirts-wife-beaters.jpg

Vest or tank top

Those two things describe a very wide variety of things. Wifebeater is very specific article of clothing, though as I said, the manufacturer's name for it is A-shirt, but probably only because someone would get mad about the more common name being on a clothing package.

Come to my country and ask for a wifebeater or an A shirt and you're getting nowt

Vest or tank top is what they are specifically called in the UK

Ask for a wife beater round here and you'll get a can of Stella!
  • sfcrocker
    sfcrocker Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It's part of emotional maturity. When you are over 35, you are pretty much in fatherhood territory and you need to set an example and not come across as the show off to passers by especially when there are children, teens and very young women around... Like in their late teens and early 20s.

I think real emotional maturity is just being yourself and not caring so much about what everyone else thinks. If I'm 70 and still running and it's hot out I'm not going to wear a shirt and sweat like a pig (do pigs actually sweat?) just to meet someone else's idea of what I should be doing. Then again, where I live it's pretty cold so if I'm running at 7 a.m. I'm likely wearing a sweatshirt so it's a moot point.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Offensive.jpg
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    doo7mpyhweqh.jpg

This repulsive!! LOL

That's what I was thinking too!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Running shirtless, walking topless, wearing a wife beater, it is all about societal expectations. Society, at least american, says that men and woman should have these very idealized bodies and those that don't are inferior or less than attractive. Thats just the way it is like it or not society has set those expectations, you can go against those expectations or go with the flow.

Personally I run with a tank top or a "dry" fabric type shirt. I don't have an attractive body and don't have the desire to let the world view my saggy empty skin.

Wearing a what now?

Wifebeater, known in the more civilized parts of the world, as an A-shirt, or some such silliness:

Vest or tank top

Those two things describe a very wide variety of things. Wifebeater is very specific article of clothing, though as I said, the manufacturer's name for it is A-shirt, but probably only because someone would get mad about the more common name being on a clothing package.

Come to my country and ask for a wifebeater or an A shirt and you're getting nowt

Well, I do always picture Stanley Kowalski in one.
  • CurlyCockney
    Options

Wearing a what now?

Vest or tank top

Well, I do always picture Stanley Kowalski in one.

I googled the name but I'm none the wiser, sorry!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    One of the characters in Streetcar Named Desire (which is great).

Here's Marlon Brando in the role:

c39onymdp49f.jpg

The character famously bellows "Stella!" at his wife.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    pdxhak wrote: »
    Seriously how far does this go with exposed skin? Tank tops OK? Sleeveless t-shirts? Shorts?

Guys should really never wear tank tops except maybe at the gym or possibly the beach.

jason-momoas-muscles-seriously-out-of-control.jpg

*drops mic*

Point made.

I met him once.

*checks photo* he wasn't wearing a tank top. Damn.

Have no idea who this is.

@jemhh - Jason Momoa. Khal Drogo from Game of Thrones and a bunch of other stuff.
  • CurlyCockney
    Options
    One of the characters in Streetcar Named Desire (which is great).

Here's Marlon Brando in the role:

c39onymdp49f.jpg

The character famously bellows "Stella!" at his wife.

Ah thanks for explaining, it's been eons since I watched that film.