Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• Ginny218
    Ginny218 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    does anyone know about lunchbox homio bpa free box i found at my asian store kinda oval with a split -says can microwave, so is it dishwasher safe. snap sides with a gasket inside.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Ginny218 wrote: »
    does anyone know about lunchbox homio bpa free box i found at my asian store kinda oval with a split -says can microwave, so is it dishwasher safe. snap sides with a gasket inside.

My guess would be no, does it have any symbols or writing on the bottom? @mangrothian can read Japanese.
  • Ginny218
    edited August 2016
    Options
    http://www.amazon.in/Homio-Lunch-Box-Bottle-Maroon/dp/B00VNMNLVY
    picture of the box i got - anyone have one? mine might be a smidge smaller though. 450ml i thought is said.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Generally if something is microwave safe (probably only without the lid on for gentle reheating) it should be ok in the dishwasher. I hand wash all my boxes though because I find if I keep sticking it in the dishwasher it slowly warps and the lid eventually won't fit properly.

Can you take a legible picture of the bottom of the box with the care details? If I can't read it, there are definitely others who can :)

Also, a note on BPA in plastic; it is only ever present in clear plastic because it's used to make the plastic not go cloudy over time. Any BPA free advertising on a solid colour box is a marketing gimmick. Also, the dangers of BPA in plastic have pretty much been debunked unless you're planning to eat the damn stuff.
  • cside691
    cside691 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Just received my first bento box - any tips for a newbie who won't be able to do all those fancy shapes and animals but still would like a nice looking bento? Thanks in advance
  • mangrothian
    Options
    cside691 wrote: »
    Just received my first bento box - any tips for a newbie who won't be able to do all those fancy shapes and animals but still would like a nice looking bento? Thanks in advance

The main two pointers I would give are:
    - Use lots of colourful foods; if everything is brown, it's never going to look that pleasant, even if it's tasty.
    - Think about how you're placing things in the box. Try to make it look aesthetic and in a way that it will hopefully look the same when you open it as when you finished packing it.

If you're not getting cutters or anything like that, have a look at some youtube videos on simple vegetable cutting. Some of the things you can do to vegetables with a paring knife is amazing.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Ginny218 wrote: »
    ddaikl3gk4eb.jpg

just circle cutter and straw and cutter face -

Did you make that?? That's awesome looking :heart:
  • carolynelaurino993
    carolynelaurino993 Posts: 5 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    baz4exhmkdh0p.jpeg
    Here's my bento for today! Some brown rice with furikake (Japanese rice seasoning), cucumber, and raspberries!
    If you're on a 1200 calorie diet like me, a small lunch like this will really fill you up but won't waste your precious calories!

P.s
    If you live in or around Manhattan, these stores have some fabulous bento supplies ( food, utensils, and boxes):
    -H-mart in K-town
    -Sunrise mart across from the public library
    -kinokuniya across from Bryant park (this one doesn't really have food, just lunch boxes)
  • cside691
    cside691 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    baz4exhmkdh0p.jpeg
    Here's my bento for today! Some brown rice with furikake (Japanese rice seasoning), cucumber, and raspberries!
    If you're on a 1200 calorie diet like me, a small lunch like this will really fill you up but won't waste your precious calories!

P.s
    If you live in or around Manhattan, these stores have some fabulous bento supplies ( food, utensils, and boxes):
    -H-mart in K-town
    -kinokuniya across from Bryant park (this one doesn't really have food, just lunch boxes)

Unfortunately I'm in the UK - thanks all for the inspiration
  • mangrothian
    Options
    cside691 wrote: »
    baz4exhmkdh0p.jpeg

P.s
    -H-mart in K-town

Unfortunately I'm in the UK - thanks all for the inspiration

If you're looking for a local store to buy some of the different ingredients, try the Japanese grocery stores list on JustOneCookbook. There are user submitted stores from all over the world
  • Ginny218
    Options
    my shooting star bento
    Lettuce, green leaf, raw, 1 leaf inner 1
    Sahlen's - Ham, 1 oz 30
    Nature's Own-- - 100% Whole Wheat Bread, 2 slice (26 g) 120
    Great Value ~~ - Creamy Peanut Butter, 2 Tbsp. (32g) 180
    Bonnie B's - Fully Loaded Potatoe Salad, 0.5 cup 80
    Cheese - Mini Babybel - Original, 1 piece (24g) 70
    total calories 481
    cix0axvnnbg2.jpg
  • Meranda29
    Meranda29 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have two BentoGo's from amazon and I love them! I out my main course in the lower, largest section. Then my fruits/veggie soup/etc go in the top! I find it easiest if I group things by how/if they need to be reheated.
  • mangrothian
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Well, shame on me for not having a bento to post for so long. I've been doing leftovers lunches for a while, but am trying to get back into my bento habit again to control my lunch calories a little more. Back to old style images it is!

aqbqessd9lc4.jpg
    The picture shows everything I have to eat during my work day, which includes breakfast, lunch and snacks:

Breakfast, 292 Cal
    - 90g Banana (85 Cal)
    - Breakfast cookie (207 Cal)

Lunch, 429 Cal
    - 120g rice (190 Cal)
    - 3 beef & pork meatballs (164 Cal)
    - 160g Mixed blanched vegetables: snow peas, broccoli, carrot, radishes, yellow capsicum, shiitake mushroom, zucchini (61 Cal)
    - Furikake (9 Cal)
    - Umeboshi (3 Cal)

Snacks, 229 Cal
    - 2 Vanilla Oreo Thins (64 Cal) There's 4 in the box, but I shared with coworkers ^_^
    - 135g of Goat's milk yoghurt with 70g mixed berries (165 Cal)

The yoghurt might not get eaten. I have an issue with Casein protein giving me stomach cramps and gas and can't have a lot of regular dairy, so I'm giving goats milk yoghurt a try to see how that goes. If it doesn't go well, then it's not exactly all going to get eaten ;)
  • mangrothian
    Options
    And here is Tuesday's set menu:
    mwmom949ryv6.jpeg
    Breakfast, 292 Cal
    - 90g Banana (85 Cal)
    - Breakfast cookie (207 Cal)

Lunch, 356 Cal
    - sandwich with ham, mustard and Swiss cheese (281 Cal)
    - 60g mixed veg: carrot, snow pea, broccoli, yellow capsicum, radish (11 Cal)
    - 25g homemade guacamole (44 Cal)

Snacks, 219 Cal
    - 4 matcha cookies (64 Cal)
    - 120g Goats milk yoghurt (103 Cal)
    - 75g mixed frozen berries (52 Cal)
  • ivygirl1937
    ivygirl1937 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm so glad you bumped this, I keep forgetting to make bentos! Shame on me! I even work in an office pretty much every day right now with no fridge to keep my food that I bring cool in which is the DEFINITION of bentos! I really need to get back into it. @mangrothian, your bentos looks beautiful and delicious as always!!
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Oh, I'm so glad you bumped this, I keep forgetting to make bentos! Shame on me! I even work in an office pretty much every day right now with no fridge to keep my food that I bring cool in which is the DEFINITION of bentos! I really need to get back into it. @mangrothian, your bentos looks beautiful and delicious as always!!

As always, I still think that you enjoy eating pretty food over hastily assembled stuff (which is why people go gaga over the fancy looking cupcakes even when they usually don't taste that nice).

Wednesday's bento:
    sntucgb1ayqw.jpeg
    I didn't post brekkie since it's the same as the other mornings
    Lunch, 546 Cal
    - 120g rice
    - 2 umeboshi
    - 1 single egg tamagoyaki
    - Salad with no dressing
    - 0.5 servings of my turkey & black bean chili

Afternoon tea, 323 Cal
    - 110g chocolate lamination

I love this container set. The cylinder that has the chili in it actually sits in a Thermos style container that's designed to keep your food in it warm until lunchtime and comes in the most awesome cooler bag.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options

Your Bentos are always so beautifully presented!
    Afternoon tea, 323 Cal
    - 110g chocolate lamination

But I have to ask... why did you laminate your chocolate? Wasn't it hard to eat through the plastic? ;)

(Seriously though, what is it? Searching the interwebz isn't helping me at the moment! :) )