Options
    8/15

- Make lunch for tomorrow and pre-log it
    - Exercise after school
    - Email my PAGE contact
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Been offline for the last week. Having a hard time sticking with anything this summer.

JFT, 8/15/2016

1. Walk the dogs
    2. Workout
    3. Log all food
    3. No alcohol
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,206 Member
    Options
    Yesterday
    Get to the gym or walk :)
    log all food :)
    drink water. Remember, many times it is thirst, not hunger! :)
    get out sons trumpet to clean and sell :)
    call hotel rooms for prices for when friends come to visit :/
    clean house :/
    rest. WHen I am too tired, I tend to want to eat :)

Better day yesterday. Trying to really watch it this time, and get back on track.
    so JFT, Monday
    get to the gym or walk tonite
    call hotel rooms for prices when friends visit
    clean trumpet
    log ALL food - no matter what
    drink water, especially in the evenings when I want to snack!
    get back on here tomorrow to be accountable
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    JFT/Monday:

Eat only pre-logged food
    Drink 8 glasses of water
    No carbs after 3 p.m.
    Try to find the positives in work situations today
    Pack tomorrow's lunch and pre-log
    Go to bed early and read
  • faelight
    faelight Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Just for today.... no chips before bed...and going for a run :)
  • abacus93jp
    abacus93jp Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Stayed within nutrient and caloric goals, drank water and didn't walk but did chop and move wood on the hill of my yard, hard work but feels good to have done it! Yay! If no yard work, I will remember to walk tomorrow. One day at a time!! I can do anything for one day!
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Had my 30th this weekend and massively over indulged.... I don't regret it (you only turn 30 once!) But definitely now time to get back on track!

On a course this week, and going out for dinner tonight, so today will be challenging. Having said that, I'll still do the following:

1) not have sweet snacks - buy an apple in case hungry
    2) go for a healthier option at dinner - potentially steak and salad
    3) go for a healthier option at lunch, if poss - more protein/ veg than carbs/fat
    4) no booze at dinner
    5) plenty of water - one for each tea/coffee
    6) log everything I eat

So I managed some of these - 1 and 3.

Some others were thwarted by the useless restaurant I went to - my friends ordered tapas and I ordered a steak, but they were so slow at bringing the steak that we had to leave and I had to have some of their tapas instead! I then lost the motivation to log as I had no clue what I could add for 'various bites of other peoples' tapas'... I've had a go this morning but I don't think it's at all accurate.

I do find it difficult to bother logging when I don't really know how much stuff is. I know it's important to have a go anyway, but I often don't bother. Maybe I should incentivise myself to do it? (E.g. If I log my foods properly for a full week I get *insert non food rewards here*)

The others I just failed because of lack of motivation/willpower... I had a glass of wine (breaking 4) and also had 2 bags of crisps for no apparent reason.

I've realised though that the reason I keep slipping is because really, I don't have a clear idea of what my motivation to lose weight or eat healthily is. I've got genuine motivation to exercise - it reduces my stress and I love feeling fitter. But I'm not that bothered about my diet apart from to lose weight, which even that I don't care about that much - I'm not that heavy for my frame and look ok in most clothes. So in most situations where over eating is possible, I tend to do so.

I think I need to give this some more consideration to find my REAL reasons for wanting to do this.... I'm pretty sure I can find motivating reasons but clearly I haven't done yet.
    I may start a separate thread about this....

So anyway, today:

- No unhealthy snacks outside meals
    - log everything I eat
    - run after work
    - stick within calories
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    JF 8/16:
    I am going to simplify this since I'm not doing too well achieving my goals:
    - go to gym
    - get 15k steps
  • faelight
    faelight Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    faelight wrote: »
    Just for today.... no chips before bed...and going for a run :)

Success!!

Just for today... a green juice this morning, and another night run :)
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    JFT/Monday:

Eat only pre-logged food :)
    Drink 8 glasses of water :)
    No carbs after 3 p.m. :)
    Try to find the positives in work situations today :)
    Pack tomorrow's lunch and pre-log ;) kind of...
    Go to bed early and read ;) I did read, but stayed up later than I wanted to!

JFT/Tuesday:
    • Stick to my planned menu for Day 2 of 17-day diet
    • Activity today...no excuses. Even if it is only for 15 minutes.
    • Look for a fitness center with a pool
    • Set up sewing machine in office
    • Send cards to some of my friends who need a pick-me-up
    • Keep a smile on my face at work today
    • Be present and be kind

Have a great day!
    Tracie in WI
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    Had my 30th this weekend and massively over indulged.... I don't regret it (you only turn 30 once!) But definitely now time to get back on track!

On a course this week, and going out for dinner tonight, so today will be challenging. Having said that, I'll still do the following:

3) go for a healthier option at lunch, if poss - more protein/ veg than carbs/fat
    4) no booze at dinner
    6) log everything I eat

Some others were thwarted by the useless restaurant I went to - my friends ordered tapas and I ordered a steak, but they were so slow at bringing the steak that we had to leave and I had to have some of their tapas instead! I then lost the motivation to log as I had no clue what I could add for 'various bites of other peoples' tapas'... I've had a go this morning but I don't think it's at all accurate.

I do find it difficult to bother logging when I don't really know how much stuff is. I know it's important to have a go anyway, but I often don't bother. Maybe I should incentivise myself to do it? (E.g. If I log my foods properly for a full week I get *insert non food rewards here*)

The others I just failed because of lack of motivation/willpower... I had a glass of wine (breaking 4) and also had 2 bags of crisps for no apparent reason.

I've realised though that the reason I keep slipping is because really, I don't have a clear idea of what my motivation to lose weight or eat healthily is. I've got genuine motivation to exercise - it reduces my stress and I love feeling fitter. But I'm not that bothered about my diet apart from to lose weight, which even that I don't care about that much - I'm not that heavy for my frame and look ok in most clothes. So in most situations where over eating is possible, I tend to do so.

I think I need to give this some more consideration to find my REAL reasons for wanting to do this.... I'm pretty sure I can find motivating reasons but clearly I haven't done yet.

So anyway, today:

- log everything I eat
    - run after work
    - stick within calories

I find that I do this a lot myself. I have trouble getting myself to log when I know I've been bad or if I've just had one of those little tiny Snicker bars. So then I don't log my dinner at all and lots of times skip the next day because I'm then in a funk.

However, I do have a reason that I want to lose weight. I want to get and feel healthy. I am 4 years out from cancer treatment and never felt good after chemo and radiation. I'm told the best things I can do for myself to try preventing recurrence is to eat healthy and exercise. So, that's why I keep getting back in the saddle. I don't ever want to go down that road again. So, why do I let myself go backwards? It's a pretty darn good reason to want to change my lifestyle, right? Well....I have that little cartoon devil sitting on my other shoulder telling me "you only live once! Eat what makes you happy!" So yeah...there's that. Good luck with your soul searching. I hope you find what works for you! :smile:

Tracie in WI
  • mytime6630
    Options
    Monday
    get to the gym or walk tonite :/
    call hotel rooms for prices when friends visit :)
    clean trumpet :/
    log ALL food - no matter what :)
    drink water, especially in the evenings when I want to snack! :)
    get back on here tomorrow to be accountable :):)

JFT Tuesday
    log all food
    walk or gym
    drink water

Since I turned 65 last month, I now get free gym membership. Today, the guy did a fitness test for me. OMG - I am SO out of shape. While I can easily walk 5 miles with my friend, I am so out of shape. I could not even do a squat! He had me do a plank, and I could not do that for very long (I had NEVER even done a plank before!).
    Then he had me do a fitness test - where you step up and down on a bench to see how many times I could do this. Normally this test is suppose to be for 3 minutes. He had me only do ONE minute - and I was so out of breath.
    And my BMI is 39!!!!!
    So time to get working. I want to feel good. I want to stay healthy. If I keep this up, my life will be sitting in a chair, not feeling good.
    The fitness guy explained that aerobics alone will not work. That I need to combine it with weigh lifting.
    So today is a fresh start for me (I know, I have had "fresh starts" about 20 times already!). But I am not giving up.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    joan6630 wrote: »
    Monday
    get to the gym or walk tonite :/
    call hotel rooms for prices when friends visit :)
    clean trumpet :/
    log ALL food - no matter what :)
    drink water, especially in the evenings when I want to snack! :)
    get back on here tomorrow to be accountable :):)

JFT Tuesday
    log all food
    walk or gym
    drink water

Since I turned 65 last month, I now get free gym membership. Today, the guy did a fitness test for me. OMG - I am SO out of shape. While I can easily walk 5 miles with my friend, I am so out of shape. I could not even do a squat! He had me do a plank, and I could not do that for very long (I had NEVER even done a plank before!).
    Then he had me do a fitness test - where you step up and down on a bench to see how many times I could do this. Normally this test is suppose to be for 3 minutes. He had me only do ONE minute - and I was so out of breath.
    And my BMI is 39!!!!!
    So time to get working. I want to feel good. I want to stay healthy. If I keep this up, my life will be sitting in a chair, not feeling good.
    The fitness guy explained that aerobics alone will not work. That I need to combine it with weigh lifting.
    So today is a fresh start for me (I know, I have had "fresh starts" about 20 times already!). But I am not giving up.

You can do it! And your fitness guy is right. Weight lifting or some sort of resistance training is good for the bones. Keep at it and you'll see improvement quickly!
  • bookmeister86
    Options

4) no booze at dinner
    6) log everything I eat

So anyway, today:

- log everything I eat
    - run after work
    - stick within calories

I find that I do this a lot myself. I have trouble getting myself to log when I know I've been bad or if I've just had one of those little tiny Snicker bars. So then I don't log my dinner at all and lots of times skip the next day because I'm then in a funk.

However, I do have a reason that I want to lose weight. I want to get and feel healthy. I am 4 years out from cancer treatment and never felt good after chemo and radiation. I'm told the best things I can do for myself to try preventing recurrence is to eat healthy and exercise. So, that's why I keep getting back in the saddle. I don't ever want to go down that road again. So, why do I let myself go backwards? It's a pretty darn good reason to want to change my lifestyle, right? Well....I have that little cartoon devil sitting on my other shoulder telling me "you only live once! Eat what makes you happy!" So yeah...there's that. Good luck with your soul searching. I hope you find what works for you! :smile:

Tracie in WI

Thanks Tracie... I appreciate you sharing your reasons with me. That's a really good reason to be healthy... but I can also understand the 'life is short' difficulty as well.

I'm slowly coming up with a few reasons that I feel strongly about.

One is that I made a list of the items of clothing that I feel uncomfortable in, or avoid wearing, at the moment. The list was longer than I thought! This made me realise that actually I really don't like my body - I don't always realise that as I'm quite good at picking clothes that are flattering - but actually I really don't like lots of things about it and want to change them. I'm hoping that visualising the specific items I want to wear again will help!

The other is more health related, and that's energy - it's harder to move when you're bigger and although I don't normally notice, I do when running, climbing stairs. I genuinely want to feel more energetic, so need a body that makes that easier!

Those are just a couple.... I'm sure more will come to me if I think about it....
  • bookmeister86
    Options

4) no booze at dinner
    6) log everything I eat

So anyway, today:

- log everything I eat
    - run after work
    - stick within calories

Tracie in WI

Oh and in terms of the logging!

I've made a deal with myself that for every day I don't log properly in a week, I have to have two alcohol free days in the following week.

I think this will be a good disincentive - I drink pretty regularly, though most commonly in small amounts. (I am working on reducing it!)

You could try something like that? You could do a reward if you find those more effective than punishments!
  • mytime6630
    Options

One is that I made a list of the items of clothing that I feel uncomfortable in, or avoid wearing, at the moment. The list was longer than I thought! This made me realise that actually I really don't like my body - I don't always realise that as I'm quite good at picking clothes that are flattering - but actually I really don't like lots of things about it and want to change them. I'm hoping that visualising the specific items I want to wear again will help!

The other is more health related, and that's energy - it's harder to move when you're bigger and although I don't normally notice, I do when running, climbing stairs. I genuinely want to feel more energetic, so need a body that makes that easier!

Those are just a couple.... I'm sure more will come to me if I think about it....

THANK you for giving me more ideas of why it is so important to lose weight. I LOVE your idea of writing down a list of items of clothing. I too have so many nice clothes in my closet that I used to wear, and can't get into them.

I love hearing how others are keeping motivated-- thank you for sharing!

I've made a promise to myself to keep getting on here - no matter how bad my day has been. Maybe by all of us sharing not only our good days, but our bad days as well -- we can encourage each other along the way!
  • mytime6630
    edited August 2016
    Options

Tracie in WI

Tracie - you have so much to be proud of for being a 4 year cancer survivor! I know going through all that is hard. But you are right - we need to find ways and encouragment for getting a healthier lifestyle. Having the fitness coach this morning show me how out of shape I am was really a wake-up call for me. I cannot afford to hire a personal trainer, and was so thankful he took this hour to help me know what to do. I have a lot of cancer in my family, and I know maintaining a healthy lifestyle will help.
    SO I hope to see you on here often, and I hope to do the same. Maybe by sharing not only our good days, but our bad days as well, we can all be accountable, and successful!
  • chrissygbulldog3
    chrissygbulldog3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Stop procrastinating.
    Remember to feel grateful, be grateful, show graciousness.

• Oberon21
    Options

THANK you for giving me more ideas of why it is so important to lose weight. I LOVE your idea of writing down a list of items of clothing. I too have so many nice clothes in my closet that I used to wear, and can't get into them.

I've made a promise to myself to keep getting on here - no matter how bad my day has been. Maybe by all of us sharing not only our good days, but our bad days as well -- we can encourage each other along the way!

First I want to say the support here is so wonderful. This is why I was attracted to this thread. You guys are great.

Secondly the clothes are a great motivation. I hang one goal piece of clothing in my room and keep it in a conspicuous place. Something I love but that isn't unachievable with a small loss. It keeps me going and makes me feel successful. I hope it works the same magic for you it did for me.

And make sure you celebrate that success with some reward and then hang out the next goal piece. :)
  • bookmeister86
    Options
    Oberon21 wrote: »

First I want to say the support here is so wonderful. This is why I was attracted to this thread. You guys are great.

Secondly the clothes are a great motivation. I hang one goal piece of clothing in my room and keep it in a conspicuous place. Something I love but that isn't unachievable with a small loss. It keeps me going and makes me feel successful. I hope it works the same magic for you it did for me.

And make sure you celebrate that success with some reward and then hang out the next goal piece. :)

Thank you - glad the support is helpful!

I'm going to pick my favorite item from my list and hang it in an obvious place - that's a great idea!

Because the easy thing is coming up with motivations once..... The difficult thing is reinforcing them so they're really strong and you remember them in the heat of the moment!

Your idea sounds like a good way of achieving that... will try it out!