Are bananas and peanut butter a bad thing?

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    brichards_ wrote: »
    As long as there is no dairy and no processed sugar or corn syrup then it's just fine!

what happens if any of those things are present....?
    I don't want to sound annoying or pushy but dairy is not good for weightloss, and corn syrup (in a lot of peanut butters) is not healthy. That's my simple way of saying it. Of course she can eat what she wants, but that's my view on them. There's not dairy in either thing she said, I can't recall why I put that but anyways...

why/how is dairy bad for weight loss?
    I can't really say it like my research has said it so I'll try my best. Dairy is the breast milk made for baby cows. It is a natural growth formula for the baby cow. A human isn't really meant to breast feed a growth formula from a cow, if that makes sense. It causes, well, growth, like it does for the baby cow. It also causes constipation and bloating due to the fact that the human body doesn't really like having milk and it's hormones and pus cells in it. Usually people are trying to lose fat on their diets, and dairy is high in fat, such as saturated fat. This can be slightly bad towards weight loss goals, although some fat is necessary to eat of course. Eating healthy fats will be better towards the body. Hopefully this makes a little sense?

So much no...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    As long as there is no dairy and no processed sugar or corn syrup then it's just fine!

I don't want to sound annoying or pushy but dairy is not good for weightloss, and corn syrup (in a lot of peanut butters) is not healthy. That's my simple way of saying it. Of course she can eat what she wants, but that's my view on them. There's not dairy in either thing she said, I can't recall why I put that but anyways...

It's not. (For the record, I get your question was rhetorical and that you agree with me. But it makes for a good platform.) ;-)

Once upon a time, when I was still open to more woo-like approaches, I read that dairy was good for weight loss (there was a big study some years ago, not replicated, now they the evidence seems to suggest it's neutral, I believe), and had a big glass of milk with breakfast each day. I lost 65 lbs and got to my lowest weight ever, even though I wasn't counting calories. I eventually stopped drinking milk (I don't really like milk on its own) and ate a lot less cottage cheese and, especially yogurt, and over time regained.

Now I eat lots of greek yogurt and cottage cheese and more ice cream than I used to, and I again am close to my lowest adult weight.

So seems to me it's good for weight loss!

Okay, to be honest, I don't. I think it's neutral -- depends on overall calories. I find dairy more helpful than not but mostly not that important. The idea that it makes you gain beyond the calories it contributes is magical thinking, however, and makes no sense at all.
  • purple18194
    purple18194 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I apologize if someone has said this already, I didn't read the whole thread, but while it's better for you than real ice cream, it's still a LOT of carbs and fat. A high quantity of both of those macros combined will cause you to gain weight for sure. I would save that recipe for when you want a treat. It's a healthier dessert, but it's still a dessert

Ps - it's AMAZING with peanut butter and a little honey!
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    It's probably more calories than a serving of ice cream. What is your goal with this recipe? Are you trying to find a lower calorie alternative to ice cream, or meet a macro goal? If you weigh a banana, depending on how many grams it is, it can have up to 120 calories. So 3 bananas could be 360 calories right there. 2 tablespoons of PB is 190, if you're have 4....do the math. This is not a low calorie dessert.

I realized that the calories were going to be high, but do you think it's better than eating creamy ice cream? I felt it would have at least less sugar...idk

sounds like a lot of sugar to me.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I apologize if someone has said this already, I didn't read the whole thread, but while it's better for you than real ice cream, it's still a LOT of carbs and fat. A high quantity of both of those macros combined will cause you to gain weight for sure. I would save that recipe for when you want a treat. It's a healthier dessert, but it's still a dessert

Ps - it's AMAZING with peanut butter and a little honey!

Carbs, fat and protein don't cause you to gain weight unless you are in a calorie surplus.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Nonsense.
    The only thing bad for weight loss is excess calories.
    If the dairy thing were true, there wouldn't be overweight vegans or lactose intolerant folks, and if you're on this site for awhile you'll discover quickly that there are plenty of both...
    For the record. I eat Greek yougrt, cheese, ice cream nearly every single day, and have lost 85 lbs.
    It's great that you found something that works for you, but no need to spread misinformation. Veganism is a wonderful ethical choice, but it is not the magic bullet to weight loss.
  • dahliacats
    dahliacats Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You can enter your recipe in the recipe builder to find out the nutrient content, then compare that with the nutrient content of ice cream, and see which is healthier. No need to beat yourself up if you like the bananas etc. They are very high in potassium, which is good when you are exercising/watching salt/ or losing weight. There is no reason to substitute "lite" stuff unless you are trying to cut your calories, but you don't seem to be saying that is your goal. If your goal is to limit cravings for high sugar foods like ice cream, then this recipe should help. The natural sugars in bananas are metabolized more slowly than straight sugar, and the protein and fat in the peanut butter will also help cravings. However, there is nothing magic about peanut butter and bananas to get your complex carbs and fats; drinking milk or eating low fat proteins, and eating fruit, and getting a little extra olive oil daily would accomplish the same thing. Bananas can cause constipation, as can peanut butter. You aren't getting any additional fiber with your banana/peanut butter. Other kinds of fruits are better for fiber. Or you can dip your banana into crumbled high fiber cereal to get more fiber.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options

I can't really say it like my research has said it so I'll try my best. Dairy is the breast milk made for baby cows. It is a natural growth formula for the baby cow. A human isn't really meant to breast feed a growth formula from a cow, if that makes sense. It causes, well, growth, like it does for the baby cow. It also causes constipation and bloating due to the fact that the human body doesn't really like having milk and it's hormones and pus cells in it. Usually people are trying to lose fat on their diets, and dairy is high in fat, such as saturated fat. This can be slightly bad towards weight loss goals, although some fat is necessary to eat of course. Eating healthy fats will be better towards the body. Hopefully this makes a little sense?

so if i drink milk every day and still lose weight, without constipation or bloating... i'm what? a scientific miracle!?

Miracle here too, in copious amounts...80 lbs down...
  • brichards_
    brichards_ Posts: 113 Member
    Options

Nonsense.
    If the dairy thing were true, there wouldn't be overweight vegans or lactose intolerant folks, and if you're on this site for awhile you'll discover quickly that there are plenty of both...
    For the record. I eat Greek yougrt, cheese, ice cream nearly every single day, and have lost 85 lbs.
    It's great that you found something that works for you, but no need to spread misinformation. Veganism is a wonderful ethical choice, but it is not the magic bullet to weight loss.
    many people lose weight on it. For me, before I went vegan I lost 20 lbs. but now that I'm vegan, I don't need to diet or do calorie defecit because I'm just eating healthy so it's not about dieting anymore. I can be happy and eat whatever I want if it's plant based and not have to feel guilty.

• geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    There are also overweight vegetarians and vegans. It still comes down to calories in/calories out. :)
  • brichards_
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Nonsense.
    many people lose weight on it. For me, before I went vegan I lost 20 lbs. but now that I'm vegan, I don't need to diet or do calorie defecit because I'm just eating healthy so it's not about dieting anymore. I can be happy and eat whatever I want if it's plant based and not have to feel guilty.

All diets adhere to a calorie deficit to lose weight. It's part of the energy balance equation. And I can assure you, I know just as many overweight vegans as I do with healthy vegans because oreos and chips are vegan.
    Oreos being vegan makes me happy for every once in a while I need a junk food cookie :) of course if you are overeating on veganism you'll gain weight! But it's much easier to stay healthy and feel healthy, especially if you are eating the right amount of calories for your body.

• brichards_
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Nonsense.

If you lost weight after becoming vegan, that is because that way of eating created a calorie deficit for you, and that's great! But there are plenty of people who go vegan (or vegetarian) and eat too much and gain weight. Just like the rest of us schmucks eat all the horrible dairy and corn syrup, and still manage to gain weight.

Vegan or vegetarian is a lifestyle and/or health choice, not a weight loss choice. There are fat vegans and skinny carnivores. There are fat omnivores, and skinny vegetarians.

Calories in/out for weight loss
    Macros/food source choices - for health, fitness goals, and lifestyle choices
    Exercise for fitness and health

And FYI - based on your sudden flurry of posting the same thing in multiple threads - It's great that your moral compass led you to become vegan and you're excited about it. But it's poor form to go around telling people that veganism will help them lose weight because it did for you, and to throw "guilt" into the equation. There are many forum regulars who are long-time vegans, but they are very clear that they lost weight because they ate the right amount of calories, regardless of what they are eating. It never works to try to guilt people into changing the way they live their lives.
    it's poor form to go around telling certain people their suggestions are wrong just because maybe you have something against veganism. Sure it's different, but it makes a lot of sense when you do the research, and I know it works for me, so if someone's looking to try something new, I'm giving them MY suggestion from MY account. I don't care if others don't like what worked for me, they don't know how good I feel. Sorry if I'm not this proper account.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Nonsense.

If you lost weight after becoming vegan, that is because that way of eating created a calorie deficit for you, and that's great! But there are plenty of people who go vegan (or vegetarian) and eat too much and gain weight. Just like the rest of us schmucks eat all the horrible dairy and corn syrup, and still manage to gain weight.

Vegan or vegetarian is a lifestyle and/or health choice, not a weight loss choice. There are fat vegans and skinny carnivores. There are fat omnivores, and skinny vegetarians.

Calories in/out for weight loss
    Macros/food source choices - for health, fitness goals, and lifestyle choices
    Exercise for fitness and health

And FYI - based on your sudden flurry of posting the same thing in multiple threads - It's great that your moral compass led you to become vegan and you're excited about it. But it's poor form to go around telling people that veganism will help them lose weight because it did for you, and to throw "guilt" into the equation. There are many forum regulars who are long-time vegans, but they are very clear that they lost weight because they ate the right amount of calories, regardless of what they are eating. It never works to try to guilt people into changing the way they live their lives.
    it's poor form to go around telling certain people their suggestions are wrong just because maybe you have something against veganism. Sure it's different, but it makes a lot of sense when you do the research, and I know it works for me, so if someone's looking to try something new, I'm giving them MY suggestion from MY account. I don't care if others don't like what worked for me, they don't know how good I feel. Sorry if I'm not this proper account.

I don't have anything against veganism. My best friend since high school is vegan. As I said in another thread, there are several forum regulars who are vegan and I respect the advice they give. I did the research too, multiple times throughout my life so far, and I've seen nothing to suggest that I would be healthier if I was vegan.