Are bananas and peanut butter a bad thing?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    brichards_ wrote: »
    But it's much easier to stay healthy and feel healthy, especially if you are eating the right amount of calories for your body.

I don't find this to be true.

Also, I don't believe OP was asking about veganism. She seemed more concerned about the source of the sugar.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited August 2016
    As long as there is no dairy and no processed sugar or corn syrup then it's just fine!

what happens if any of those things are present....?
    I don't want to sound annoying or pushy but dairy is not good for weightloss, and corn syrup (in a lot of peanut butters) is not healthy. That's my simple way of saying it. Of course she can eat what she wants, but that's my view on them. There's not dairy in either thing she said, I can't recall why I put that but anyways...

Nonsense.
    The only thing bad for weight loss is excess calories.
    If the dairy thing were true, there wouldn't be overweight vegans or lactose intolerant folks, and if you're on this site for awhile you'll discover quickly that there are plenty of both...
    For the record. I eat Greek yougrt, cheese, ice cream nearly every single day, and have lost 85 lbs.
    It's great that you found something that works for you, but no need to spread misinformation. Veganism is a wonderful ethical choice, but it is not the magic bullet to weight loss.
    many people lose weight on it. For me, before I went vegan I lost 20 lbs. but now that I'm vegan, I don't need to diet or do calorie defecit because I'm just eating healthy so it's not about dieting anymore. I can be happy and eat whatever I want if it's plant based and not have to feel guilty.

Sure, not every vegan is overweight. In the end, though, it still requires eating less calories than you burn to lose weight. There are vegans who calorie count, just as there are non vegans. As you said, you lost weight before you went vegan, so you know it's possible to do that.
    As I said, it's great that you found something that works for you. It won't work for everyone, though. As you know, being vegan requires the dedication of someone who believes in their cause. Not everyone feels that way, though.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    But it's much easier to stay healthy and feel healthy, especially if you are eating the right amount of calories for your body.

I don't find this to be true.

Also, I don't believe OP was asking about veganism. She seemed more concerned about the source of the sugar.

Think about it. Veganism is about respecting animals. You become vegan and you're animal, so you learn to respect yourself more, and part of that is eating the right amount for your body.

If you want to talk about that. Think about it, your an omnivorous. Humans are designed to eat meat and plants. In fact, if we didnt eat meat, our brains would never gotten to the point it has.
  • mrmeza123
    mrmeza123 Posts: 34 Member
    No, they're not unhealthy. Keep in mind the amount of snacks your having throughout your day. Make a different choice whenever you can.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Only in over consumption leading to a surplus of calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kenyainez
    kenyainez Posts: 222 Member
    If they are I'm in trouble because I add bananas to my chocolate shake every morning and am about to add peanut butter for extra flavor! LMBO!!!! Nah, if it fits your deficit as well as your macros you should be cool.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    So many comments and nobody has mentioned palm oil, won't somebody think of the chimpanzees!!

Actually I should make nice cream for my child, anything that gets more fruit and veg in him.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    As long as there is no dairy and no processed sugar or corn syrup then it's just fine!

I don't want to sound annoying or pushy but dairy is not good for weightloss, and corn syrup (in a lot of peanut butters) is not healthy. That's my simple way of saying it. Of course she can eat what she wants, but that's my view on them. There's not dairy in either thing she said, I can't recall why I put that but anyways...

Dairy isn't good for weight loss? Hahaha BS. I'm almost 100lbs and consume lots of daily. If it wasn't for dairy, I wouldn't even meet my daily protein goals.

The ONLY thing that isn't good for weight loss is consuming too many calories.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    I am confused, where does the palm oil come in?
    So many comments and nobody has mentioned palm oil, won't somebody think of the chimpanzees!!

Actually I should make nice cream for my child, anything that gets more fruit and veg in him.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member

why/how is dairy bad for weight loss?
    I can't really say it like my research has said it so I'll try my best. Dairy is the breast milk made for baby cows. It is a natural growth formula for the baby cow. A human isn't really meant to breast feed a growth formula from a cow, if that makes sense. It causes, well, growth, like it does for the baby cow. It also causes constipation and bloating due to the fact that the human body doesn't really like having milk and it's hormones and pus cells in it. Usually people are trying to lose fat on their diets, and dairy is high in fat, such as saturated fat. This can be slightly bad towards weight loss goals, although some fat is necessary to eat of course. Eating healthy fats will be better towards the body. Hopefully this makes a little sense?

Somebody read Skinny B!tch...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    So I found this awesome recipe online that helps replace ice cream cravings. Basically you freeze a bunch of chopped bananas then blend it with some vanilla extract and a choice of your flavor, in this case I use my Peanut Butter Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams, and it tastes delicious. The thing I'm worried about is if its too much. Basically when it comes down to the ingredients and macro nutrients, I'm eating about 2-3 bananas and 3-4 tbsp of peanut butter along with a tsp of vanilla. Now I feel like that is a lot of bananas. I might even be eating more. I usually eat this when I'm about to exercise a lot or for a post workout smoothie type thing. Anyone have any suggestions or comments, concerns? I don't want to get backed up with bananas to be honest haha, I just feel like with the amount of banana and chocolate peanut butter I'm basically eating the equivalent of chocolate ice cream. What do you think???

It's probably more calories than a bowl of ice cream...it sounds delicious, but if you're trying to watch calories I really don't see why you would necessarily do this to replace some ice cream.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited August 2016
    but now that I'm vegan, I don't need to diet or do calorie defecit because I'm just eating healthy so it's not about dieting anymore.

If you wish to maintain your weight and or lose weight you'd better believe it's still about calories. Always will be...
    I can be happy and eat whatever I want if it's plant based and not have to feel guilty.
    You drank the cool aid...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

Dairy is just fine for weight loss and there are numerous studies indicating that having 2-3 servings of dairy daily can help control things like diabetes and help regulate blood sugar...and there are plenty of peanut butters without any added sugars at all.

I ate dairy throughout my weight loss phase and easily dropped 40 Lbs and have had zero issues maintaining that now for almost 3.5 years without logging or anything.
  • The_Original_Beauty
    The_Original_Beauty Posts: 162 Member
    They are AWESOME!!!!
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    The frozen banana with peanut flour was my facorite dessert before. As everyone else said, weigh and log.

Do you put the peanut flour on the banana pre freezing or as you eat it? Sounds like something right up my alley.

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    The frozen banana with peanut flour was my facorite dessert before. As everyone else said, weigh and log.

Do you put the peanut flour on the banana pre freezing or as you eat it? Sounds like something right up my alley.

@Fatal1ty2k5 I cut and slice the bananas and flash freeze them. Then I take out a few and put it into the food processor with some peanut flour until it has an ice cream consistency. To this day, it's still my daughter's favorite and she's has it since she was old enough to eat solids (almost 9 now).