Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Anyone fail on a bio hacking diet?

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yea i mean im anti calorie deficit is the thing, i think i can ramp up to 4000 calories and 6000 on refeeds, still without cardio and only one hour workout days. So if i do that using this bizarre system, would it interest you guys? Im trying to kick calorie counting to the curb entirely. I have over 100 days logged on this stuff. It seems hostile from you guys so far but i am testing out stuff and as evidence of me being fat prior to the summer we cant assume i have freak natural genetics. If i get on stage without ever doing a cutting or bulking phase because of this am i changing anyones opinion at all?

I doubt you will change opinions on hacks because very little can actually influence metabolism. Exercise will provide temporarily increase metabolism and muscle will increase it, but outside of that, most of what is described in biohacking is a joke.
  • hamilton8560
    hamilton8560 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Theyre synergist in a lot of movements which is sufficient. If i was a baseball pitcher that would be different. Check my logs for the plan, psulemon youre the type im really trying to appeal to, so theres no course of action to reach you on this?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Of course we got some side comments about a guy wanting swoll soleus muscles which is funny

Not sure how anything could be a "side comment" in this variety show...
  • hamilton8560
    Options
    0331 uscmp sup, so just steady low gi carbs all day worked better for you?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Hey carlos while ure at it give rotator cuffs and pec minor its own day to get jacked...

I do internal and external rotations at the end of shoulder day. They don't need their own day but they are important for injury prevention.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    A 3100 TDEE seems about right to me. I'm not gonna lie though, I'm confused as hell on what is going on here. I feel like I'm relatively knowledgeable but this thread makes me feel like a third grader.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I'm a competitive bodybuilder and what you are saying you do is basically a carb and calorie cycling plan. I did that my first show and my second show I just sort of ate normally. The cycling method wasn't superior for results.

ETA: My gym performance was far better when I wasn't gorging one day and restricting carbs for a few days. Helped me come in looking fuller and more striated.

Colbert_3741.jpg
  • hamilton8560
    Options
    dumbbell press is fine carlos if you dont experience shoulder pain
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Yea i mean im anti calorie deficit is the thing, i think i can ramp up to 4000 calories and 6000 on refeeds, still without cardio and only one hour workout days. So if i do that using this bizarre system, would it interest you guys?

As something to do? No.

Just as something? Maybe, if I had some check on the counting/consumption, but I don't believe your starting TDEE was 1900 -- that would be quite unusual for a 20-something male who works out an hour a day, as I said, and is not consistent with the current claimed TDEE (which is about right, as others have pointed out). Also, there aren't any studies that support such a thing.
    Im trying to kick calorie counting to the curb entirely.

But it seems that you ARE counting.

I have a natural reaction against any idea that we can manipulate the body to permit consumption of excess calories that aren't actually used by the body somehow, that if we are really rigid in things like macros or timing (or both) that you can eat more calories. IMO, there's no inherent benefit to being able to put on paper that I consumed more calories. My preference is to simply focus on nutrition and things like performance and energy level. With that aim I have played around with nutrient timing and fasted cardio (I think both have some role to play), but as soon as it gets overly complicated I'm out. One reason I like eating a healthful diet and exercising is that if I do that and am just minimally mindful I can get away without logging or counting.

I am counting now since I'm trying to get myself to keep a deficit and take off a few more lbs, and also because I'm interested in experimenting with a few different ways of eating (nothing complicated) mostly just for fun and to see if there are any meaningful effects on performance/energy/overall well-being. But I don't think I can jack my TDEE by doing that -- again, no credible studies support such a claim -- and I'm not particularly interested in doing that. My activity level allows for an adequate calorie intake for someone of my size.

I admit that part of my issue is that I think people like Dave Aspery tend to the scammy. There are people into self-experimentation (which is different in my mind from "biohacking" who I find less off-putting and I'm all for N=1 experiments if you find them motivating.)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    A 3100 TDEE seems about right to me. I'm not gonna lie though, I'm confused as hell on what is going on here. I feel like I'm relatively knowledgeable but this thread makes me feel like a third grader.

Don't worry. You're not the one who doesn't get it.

A lot of words but all I really get out of it is that someone ate at a calorie deficit and/or around maintenance and lifted. Just a looooong confusing way of doing it? Bout right?
  • hamilton8560
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Yea youre right man its only about calories. Im sure mesomorphs can appreciate that when you tell them eat less, exercise more and nothing happens