First Dates: The Good, the Bad & the Ugly

Options
AskTracyAnnK28
AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
There's been a lot of chatting about dates in the Singles thread, so I figured it might be fun to share our dating stories here.

A few years ago I met a guy from PoF. We decided to meet at a local pub on a Saturday night for a few drinks. So he shows up and he's actually nice looking and we seemed to get along pretty well. But for every beer I had, he had 3. So as the evening went on he started getting loud and a little obnoxious. There was a 90's cover band playing so I was paying more attention to the band then to him, and I was enjoying myself even though he was kinda acting like a *kitten*.

So midnight rolls around and I'm like..."well this has been...ummm...fun, but it's late so I should be going." and he says "let's have one more drink!" and I'm like "haven't you had enough? maybe you should get a coffee..."

So anyway I'm like "ummm maybe you should walk me to my car?" I was hoping that would get him to leave because he was visibly drunk. So we walk outside and he says to me "wanna *kitten* in your car?" and I'm like "No thanks..." and he says "well if that's it then I'm going back in for another drink!"

So I go home and I'm laughing because he was such a buffoon. I go to sleep and wake up with about 10 missed calls and a bunch of texts from him at 2am.

The first text said "I'm in jail. Got a DUI. Can you come and get me."

The 2nd text said "I need a ride home. I'm in jail. You don't have to pay anything."

The 3rd text said "whatever...*kitten*!"

Never did find out if he got a ride home from jail....

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I used to live on the hill and work downtown, it was faster to take public transit than to drive and park. Kept seeing the same girl on the bus in the mornings, she'd make eyes at me. So I invited her out for a coffee date to see if there was any chemistry or anything. It's been years so I don't remember as well as I'd like to, but when we started talking, she told me she's married but separated on her way to a divorce, and that she's a Mormon angel sent from heaven above. I don't have a thing for schizophrenics, so I said I had to pee, broke a window in the men's room, jumped out, and ran home, expecting her to follow the trail of blood and kill me.

So glad to be in a healthy, committed relationship.
  • Angela937
    Angela937 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    arleban wrote: »
    Mine have been pretty bland, but I tend to ask first dates out for coffee. I tell them I have 3 reasons:
    1. It's well lit with people around.
    2. We both like coffee. (I do ask)
    3. If you need to run away screaming, your drink is already in a to go cup.

It usually gets a laugh, and they appreciate it being low key without a major time investment if we're not into it.

I've been surprised that even a few ladies have gone out with me. I only thought my ex-wife was that dumb. :D

If you live in MI I'll date you! I am a coffee fanatic!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I thought I got to know a guy for a month before meeting for a "date".
    Had on weird boots. Changed our original plan of a nice restaurant to some dive bar. Found out it was a skinhead bar, explaining everyone else wearing the boots. Dinner chat was his advice on ways for me to lose weight, his recreational drug use and him ordering me a PBR without asking what I actually wanted.
    On the way home he pulled over at a cemetery and said, "I'll be right back, have to see a friend." Came back a half our later chugging a bottle of water. Asked me what size my boobs were and if I wanted to touch his "bird".

The only reason I can find humor in this now is because I made it back to my car.

I think you win so far! OMFG!
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Had on weird boots. Changed our original plan of a nice restaurant to some dive bar. Found out it was a skinhead bar, explaining everyone else wearing the boots. Dinner chat was his advice on ways for me to lose weight, his recreational drug use and him ordering me a PBR without asking what I actually wanted.
    On the way home he pulled over at a cemetery and said, "I'll be right back, have to see a friend." Came back a half our later chugging a bottle of water. Asked me what size my boobs were and if I wanted to touch his "bird".

The only reason I can find humor in this now is because I made it back to my car.

I think you win so far! OMFG!

Thankfully this was years ago and I've had many more terrible ones since (;
  • arleban
    arleban Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    cariduttry wrote: »
    i'll give a good one! the night i went on my first date with now-hubby, i left the date saying to myself, "i'm going to marry that guy". no lie. it wasn't just chemistry in the physical sense, although it was there. everything was just perfect and we clicked so well. there was lots of laughing and my estimation of a 1-hour date turned into an after midnight drive around town to chat and me thinking i was gonna have one helluva tough wake up the next day. totally worth it...that was over 9 years ago :)

You make me sick. From sweetness. :smile: I'm divorced but I can still appreciate a good love story.
  • Verchild
    Verchild Posts: 866 Member
    Options

That is the most horrific abduction story I have ever heard.
  • arleban
    arleban Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Angela937 wrote: »
    The ugly: My date took me back to his place, and everything was going really well. Then he shoved himself down my throat and came, and I puked all over him.

I was mortified! I kept apologizing and expected him to be mad, but he was just shocked then was like it's ok it happens. I haven't seen him since!

Wait...by everything going well do you mean this was at the end of something consensual?
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I always tried to date homeless girls.

When the date was over, I could just drop them off on any street corner and they were 'home'.

I saved a bundle on gas money.
  • Verchild
    Verchild Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    The ugly: My date took me back to his place, and everything was going really well. Then he shoved himself down my throat and came, and I puked all over him.

I was mortified! I kept apologizing and expected him to be mad, but he was just shocked then was like it's ok it happens. I haven't seen him since!

Honestly I think you are a hero simply doing that in the first place.
  • mdonsbach
    mdonsbach Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It wasn't a first date but my first job back when I was a teenager I asked this one girl out and we had been out a few times. One night we were "parked" in front of her house. Somehow the windows got all foggy(not sure exactly how ;) ) Then all of a sudden I heard a knock on my window. Fortunately I was a newbie at everything so everything was over the clothes. Sure enough it was her dad. He asked us inside and he said I don't appreciate you sitting out there with my daughter like that. I was mortified.

Funny thing is a few weeks later he offered me a job
    Even funnier thing is I ended up taking it.
    Funniest thing is I think after I quite a few years later I think I was the son he never had...that or he had a thing for me.

I am not married to his daughter.
  • melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,338 Member
    Options
    I've had some interesting ones, but this is a story I kind of like to tell to all new potentials as a cautionary tale.

Last 4th of July I went on a 1st date with a guy from POF. We had talked for a week prior and I kept getting an aggressive vibe and didn't really want to go, but against my better judgement I agreed to meet since I was going to be alone on 4th of July. I thought maybe he'd meet me in person and be repulsed and leave me alone. When coming up with date ideas, he first suggested we go to Dallas (across state lines) to go shopping for the weekend. Um...no. Then he wanted to take me to a spa. Uh...first date buddy.....how about something casual? So I suggested a baseball game.

We meet at a travel stop so we can take his car to the game. He hugs me and then takes the car into the carwash....weird but whatever. Then he proceeds to grab my face and shove his tongue down my throat! Just met 5 mins before! I should have bailed then. So we go to dinner, which was decently normal except the fact he grabbed my butt as we walked in. WTF? After the meal, we had to sit in his car for a bit because it started pouring rain and we were looking for scalpers to buy tickets from. We were talking and I heard my phone go off. He says aren't you gonna check that? I did.....it was a dickpic.....from him....he sent it while he was right next to me! I was like dude, you aren't getting in my panties tonight! Legit told him that.

So we go buy tickets off a scalper (he had to get the most expensive ones), sit down and start watching the game and talking. At one point he grabbed my phone and started scrolling through it! We were trying to exchange IG usernames and he couldn't find mine, so I guess he thought that was a way to do it?! During the conversation, he started telling me how gorgeous I was...how beautiful and funny I was....how I would be a total 10.....if only I was to lose some weight!

I kid you not. I was speechless, which doesn't happen. I wanted to tell him how I'd lost like 70 lbs, but felt I didn't owe this douche canoe any explanation whatsoever. I literally went into survival mode. I'm thinking this psycho is going to kill me. He's going to chop me up in little pieces and my friends and family will never see me! He wanted to go to a bar after which I declined....I totally saw a roofie in my future. When he dropped me at my car, he wouldn't let go of my hand. Said...I know you're never going to talk to me again. I was playing nice just to get away.....I watch Law and Order....you're supposed to make friends with the kidnappers! I let him kiss me, although I wanted to puke. I just wanted it to end. Got in my car, locked the doors and got the eff outta there. After 2 days of my phone blowing up I told him it wasn't going to work out and he was just way too aggressive.

He stalked me after that for about 6 months.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options

It's nice when a guy gets into it, it's awful when they get all shovey about it...