What do you eat for a breakfast?

Options
2»

Replies

• fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat a breakfast sandwich with a piece of fruit, usually akin to an egg mcmuffin. I also love oatmeal or greek yogurt with some fruit and nuts. To keep myself from getting bored with eggs, I add stuff like peppers, onions, spinach, lean meat, etc. to my scrambles, or having it as a breakfast burrito. I've tried doing smoothies but I find myself starving an hour or two later. I need to eat my food, not drink it.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Sure thing:

Dry ingredients:
    1.5 cups of oat flour
    1.5 cups of oat bran
    2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed
    2 tablespoons of ground cinnamon (varies according to my mood)
    1 tablespoon of ground ginger (varies according to my mood)
    sometimes other spices, too
    .5 teaspoon of baking powder.
    .25 teaspoon or less of baking soda

Wet ingredients - if you dump these in a blender/Vitamix, it'll help - oats and flax are denser than regular flour, and also a lot thirstier:
    3 whole eggs
    2 small bananas (about 5 or 6 ounces worth)
    .5 cups of milk
    .25 cup of honey
    .25 cups of olive oil.
    1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon of orange extract
    2 cups of water
    (I mean, oats and flax are VERY thirsty ingredients!)

Extras:
    .25 or .5 cups of, oh, say, sesame seeds, chocolate chips, chopped walnuts ... whatever you fancy.

Method:
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees
    Mix the dry ingredients together while the wet ingredients whip up in the blender. Let the blender work for you at least a minute, more won't hurt. You want a nice, slightly frothy, rich liquid.
    Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and, with a wooden spoon or spatula, mix together gently - treat the mixture like a chiffon or angels food mix. Mix until everything is blended and "gloopy".
    Either lightly spray or oil a muffin tin or use muffin liners (You can also make a loaf, of course, but I find muffins simpler). Distribute the batter. I use a half-cup measure. Half a cup is the equivalent to one serving.

Bake till a toothpick comes out clean. In my oven, that means around 20 - 25 minutes. Let cool for about 20 minutes. They store nicely in the fridge for over a week.

I'll post MFP's nutritional info on this recipe in a separate post, with attachment.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Here's the nutritional value of the oat flour honey muffin recipe (the potassium pill is in there just as a count of the amount of potassium in the oat flour, which wasn't listed in the mfp entry for the ingredient):

ax593cntp129.jpg
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Leftover pizza, leftover spaghetti, leftover mac and cheese, leftover stir-fry, (really any leftovers). Oat bran. Breakfast sandwich - bacon and egg or cheese.
  • tysonn88rosen
    tysonn88rosen Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    1.5 cup liquid egg whites
    1 cup oatmeal
    1 tablespoon cinnamon
    1/2 scoop - 25g vanilla protein
    1/2 cup water
    ...blend and drink :)

Then 1 cup green vegetables
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I do not eat in the mornings.
    On rare occasions that I do anticipate having an early meal, I eat some thing that I prepared with dinner the night before.
  • LisaVeganBHScNutrition
    Options
    Usually porridge with cinnamon, stevia and soy, almond, coconut or rice milk OR coconut yoghurt with mixed berries, quinoa or amaranth puffs and chia seeds or hemp seeds. Sometimes I'll have avocado and mushroom on toast or with vegemite or peanut butter. Ive started incorporating fruit and green smoothies also.
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    This is what I had today, packed with protein and nutrients and absolutely delicious!!! I made it with mashed banana since I had no yogurt but I'll try it with yogurt next week. :smiley:

open-uri20150722-16-nrd17l?1438027231

Brownie Batter Overnight Protein Oatmeal

https://dashingdish.com/recipe/brownie-batter-overnight-protein-oatmeal/
  • kiniak89
    kiniak89 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    brenda_men wrote: »
    Oats a thousand different ways. To me oats are like ice cream. I make:
    1 cup fat free fair life milk
    1/2 cup organic quick oats
    1/2 banana
    4 strawberries sliced
    1/2 Tbs. Chia seeds
    1 Tbs sliced almonds
    1/2 Tbs shredded dried coconut

Recipe 2
    Same amount oats and milk but I add:
    1 Tbs cacao powder
    1 Tbs. Peanut butter
    1/2 Tbs chia seeds
    1/2 oz. English walnuts
    1/2 Tbs dried cranberries.
    Those are my favorite.

Can I use porridge oats for this or do I need to buy some special kind of oats?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Coffee and a Quest bar. If I'm really trying to deficit and lose weight, I skip the Quest bar and add a little bit of protein powder to my coffee, enough to keep me a little fuller than just the regular coffee.

I really don't like messing around with food in the morning during the weekday and I'd much rather have dessert. I really can't have breakfast AND dessert.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Because it is Sunday it's pancakes with Greek yogurt and sliced banana.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Leftover pizza, leftover spaghetti, leftover mac and cheese, leftover stir-fry, (really any leftovers). Oat bran. Breakfast sandwich - bacon and egg or cheese.

I'm with you on having leftovers for breakfast. Today I scrambled an egg and mixed it in with leftover vegetable pad Thai. Because I'm a big eater in the mornings I also had blueberries mixed with Greek yogurt and a coffee with milk and sugar.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @kiniak89 regular porridge oats work fine.
  • CaraRahl
    CaraRahl Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I do a kind of overnight oats, using steel cut oats mixed with a bunch of different grains and seeds (teff, bulgur, chia, hemp, quinoa, buckwheat groats among other things I can't remember off the top of my head) sweetened with a drizzle of maple syrup or honey and soaked in almond milk. When I dish some up in the morning I top it with some diced apple (leave the peel on) and slivered almonds. I serve this with a scrambled egg and about half a cup of orange juice, and prior to becoming pregnant I could eat this around 7 am and then go until lunch (my break happens sometime between 11 and noon) just fine.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Today, I started with sliced apples and peanut butter, along with a press of coffee. I'll get some eggs later if I get hungry before going into the gym.
  • suznhenz
    suznhenz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I always have 3 slices of turkey bacon, cooked in the microwave, a cup of hot green tea and a pancake made from Met RX protein pancake mix, with Cary's sugar free syrup - 190 calories and it takes me about 4-5 minutes (tops) to make it.
  • alpacalypsia
    alpacalypsia Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I'll have two hard-boiled eggs (sprinkled with pepper) and a mozzarella cheese stick. All adds up to 210 calories, but don't be mistaken - those eggs will fill you up like nobody's business, especially when they're piping hot!