Why does everybody detest low carb diets? They are the only thing that works for me

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    billglitch wrote: »
    To be fair, when you say it's the only thing that works for you, it is a little different because you do have a medical condition that low carb eating is recommended for.

where does it say that anyone has a medical condition? did i miss something?

Previous posts by OP.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I detest any kind of diet that restricts food groups. That said, everyone is different and reacts differently to different diets. What works for you wouldn't necessarily work for me. And what works for me is eating foods I love, like bread and pasta. I just do so within my goals.

Technically, by the numbers, I eat low carb most days, between 110-130g. I don't consider myself low carb because it's unintentional at best. I eat what I want/planned, doesn't matter what it is as long as it fits my calorie goal. Last night I had pizza and pancakes (not together) and actually hit my 40% carb macro, which I usually don't. I do always hit my protein and fat goals (30% each).
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    I detest any kind of diet that restricts food groups. That said, everyone is different and reacts differently to different diets. What works for you wouldn't necessarily work for me. And what works for me is eating foods I love, like bread and pasta. I just do so within my goals.

Technically, by the numbers, I eat low carb most days, between 110-130g. I don't consider myself low carb because it's unintentional at best. I eat what I want/planned, doesn't matter what it is as long as it fits my calorie goal. Last night I had pizza and pancakes (not together) and actually hit my 40% carb macro, which I usually don't. I do always hit my protein and fat goals (30% each).

I don't call myself low carb either, but 110-130 is considered low carb. Props for fitting pizza and pancakes into that goal. I usually get a few treats in myself.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Moderately low carb, high protein works well for me. I aim for less than 70 grams of carbs a day, and 90-110 grams of protein. I fill in the calories with fat, because I need energy, and because my doctor suggested cutting back on carbs, for my cholesterol. It worked. The higher fat diet lowered my LDL, and raised my HDL, a lot.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    billglitch wrote: »
    I am doing low carb high fat and have lost over 90 pounds since the end of January. I have thought about it logically and here is what i think. The high fat part keeps you from feeling hungry and makes it easy to reduce calories.

I think this is one reason why it works for some. It wouldn't work for me for that reason (it might for other reasons, but ways I prefer to eat also work fine for me), since I don't find fat satiating at all. (Apparently this is more common than not, and so the way that low carbers assume that fat is inherently extra satiating is one of the things I find slightly grating. For some, yes; for all or even most, no.) I think why low carb works for many is because they get motivated by the quick drop and because they cut out (as "carbs") many foods that aren't particularly satiating but happen to be half fat or in some cases stuff like soda (not satiating, lots of calories) or because they really enjoy their diets (all the foods they've been told weren't diet foods, like bacon, steak, cheese)--a good thing that too few dieters realize is important--and aren't cutting out more nutrient-dense or satiating carbs because their prior diet was perhaps already lacking in those.

Anyway, like I said, I think it definitely can work and can be healthful. I just don't think it's superior in general or is the right choice for everyone.
    My question is if the way "they" say to eat is so good why are so many people fat?

The number of Americans who eat like nutrition-expert types recommend or like the Dietary Guidelines or My Plate or the Harvard revised My Plate is pretty low. And those who do tend to be fat in much lower percentages than the US average. (To be fair, the recommendations focus on nutrition--you can eat a nutritious diet and be fat. Those who also eat appropriate calories aren't fat, but that's basically a truism.)
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I generally don't tell people what my specific methods are, because I cannot provide them with months of reading and research and results in 30 seconds. If somebody asks me what I did / am doing to lose weight, I just tell them that I am making sure that the calories I consume are less than the calories I burn. This is enough for casual conversation. I might add '...while getting adequate protein, fiber, and fat' depending on the person. If the person asking is really looking for help, I will go into detail.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Moderately low carb (100 - 125), higher protein works for me. And to stay on point in the question that was asked, I do not detest low carb diets. I have tried it, it was horrible for me and I detested getting through the carb flu, how it may be feel even after that was over, not being able to exercise and perform well, so I guess I wussed out after a couple of months. Found a happy medium.

What works for you and is sustainable to you, your lifestyle, exercise and being sane is all that matters.
  • speedfreak75
    speedfreak75 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    it's all a personal preference. I love low carb diets. Our bodies aren't designed to take in the amount of sure we normally consume. it's simply poison. when i'm trying to lean out i usually cut my carbs down in the 25-30 net carbs per day.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

You will find other diets that circulate similarly ridiculous claims get the same amount of criticism like Paleo, vegan, gluten free, restricting certain foods...etc

I would put IF in there, too, as I seem to notice a lot more evangelicals in that camp lately than clean eaters. Even people I work with have hopped on the IF train and it's all I hear about some days..

I love when people find a great strategy that works for them, and I get that they want to share it with others. There are times when I am highly active, though, and low carb would not work for me personally for that reason. I would binge like there is no tomorrow.
    I don't have anything personally against low carb, though...just that it's not the magic bullet to weight loss that people seem to make it out to be.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    it's all a personal preference. I love low carb diets. Our bodies aren't designed to take in the amount of sure we normally consume. it's simply poison. when i'm trying to lean out i usually cut my carbs down in the 25-30 net carbs per day.

Are you trying to equate all carbs with the amount of "sugar" we consume? In your statement above : quoting "Our bodies aren't designed to take in the amount of ( "sure") we normally consume?

What are you saying?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

You will find other diets that circulate similarly ridiculous claims get the same amount of criticism like Paleo, vegan, gluten free, restricting certain foods...etc

I would put IF in there, too, as I seem to notice a lot more evangelicals in that camp lately than clean eaters. Even people I work with have hopped on the IF train and it's all I hear about some days..

I love when people find a great strategy that works for them, and I get that they want to share it with others. There are times when I am highly active, though, and low carb would not work for me personally for that reason. I would binge like there is no tomorrow.
    I don't have anything personally against low carb, though...just that it's not the magic bullet to weight loss that people seem to make it out to be.

Yep, I will lump IF with these although on these forums the IF folk seem a bit more moderate than most I know in real life, and realize it's a tool that facilitates moderating calories. Some people who do IF put a halo on it with a bunch of rediculous claims. I personally practice IF sometimes, not because it's some kind of medical miracle, but because it makes dieting easier for me. Nothing more to it. Same goes for any diet any person finds sustainable.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »

While I agree with you, I think low carb is appropriate for type 2 diabetics or IR folk because to them, carbs really are the enemy and their body just doesn't respond the same way as someone without diabetes.

Exactly. Eating low carb is necessary for some people for medical reasons, just like gluten free is necessary for some people for medical reasons.
  • ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Low carb has helped my Dad lose a lot of weight, and was prescribed by his dr and several other docs I know of for patients needing to lose weight. That being said, I tried it once and found it really hard to stick to because of the limitations. I found it didn't help me any more than CICO, but just the opposite happened with my hubby and oldest daughter, it worked better for them. Different strokes for different folks :)

see? That's what I mean ...that phrase ...just gets my goat when one appreciates how little the vast majority of primary care physicians know about nutrition and weight loss and how many people use that line as a "call to authority" without realising that it's a logical fallacy

I really like you...