Why does everybody detest low carb diets? They are the only thing that works for me

Options

Replies

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    What works now may not work later. Personally I don't like any diet that cuts out whole food groups, macros, or too many rules, too many horrors of yo-yo dieting since the 80's on every new fad. No thanks. A little of everything in moderation got me to lose 85 pounds and keep it off going on 6 years for now. Anyone can lose weight on any diet, it's keeping it off that is the real proof.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    billglitch wrote: »
    I am doing low carb high fat and have lost over 90 pounds since the end of January. I have thought about it logically and here is what i think. The high fat part keeps you from feeling hungry and makes it easy to reduce calories. Regardless of why it works its working for me, my son, my brothers gf and others that I have suggested it to. Low carb goes against what we have been told FOREVER. Its just like back in the day "they" thought the earth was the center of the universe. My question is if the way "they" say to eat is so good why are so many people fat? I know I will probably get a lot of crap for this but oh well.

Why, because people over eat, plain and simple. Our bodies are designed to survive on X amount of calories. Consume more calories than your body needs, and those excess calories will be stored as fat. It does not matter if those calories come from carbs, fat, or protien.

i know many people who dont over eat and are still "fat". I dont think its always plain and simple, and I don't get my undies in a bunch if people do what they think works for them or when they say lchf is bad

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I am doing low carb high fat and have lost over 90 pounds since the end of January. I have thought about it logically and here is what i think. The high fat part keeps you from feeling hungry and makes it easy to reduce calories. Regardless of why it works its working for me, my son, my brothers gf and others that I have suggested it to. Low carb goes against what we have been told FOREVER. Its just like back in the day "they" thought the earth was the center of the universe. My question is if the way "they" say to eat is so good why are so many people fat? I know I will probably get a lot of crap for this but oh well.

Why, because people over eat, plain and simple. Our bodies are designed to survive on X amount of calories. Consume more calories than your body needs, and those excess calories will be stored as fat. It does not matter if those calories come from carbs, fat, or protien.

i know many people who dont over eat and are still "fat". just saying

Unless they have a medical condition, they are eating more calories than they need. Do you see what they eat for every meal? I can eat my daily caloric allowance in one meal.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    If it works for you then that's great :smile:
    As long as its something you can consistently do long term then you won't regain. I've just seen too many slip back into old habits and re-gain what they'd lost...
    We have to find something that works for us that we can consistently do for the rest of our lives imo.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    LaceyBirds wrote: »
    vingogly wrote: »
    I chose my general practitioner years ago because his focus is on wellness and weight loss. Back then, he had cardio patients like myself on low fat diets. Most were not succeeding. So he did some research and decided to try low carb with his patients. They lost weight, and their cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood pressure all improved. He recommended it to me and I was skeptical, but I tried it. It worked.

This is why I have a problem with low-carb diets - it is because the people following it attribute these improvements to eating low-carb. Yet there are people who do the same thing by reducing calories and eating plenty of carbs. I am one of them. I've lost 93 pounds from my highest weight and my cholesterol, triglycerides and blood pressure all improved immensely. I was on two blood pressure/heart rate meds, and a statin for cholesterol, and am now off of all of them. My blood pressure is normal to low-normal now. I don't exercise. I attribute these improvements to three things, with the most important being weight loss, followed by some (but not many) changes in what I ate (cutting out most mayo and eating more avocado and salmon for the cholesterol), and by cutting my sodium to 1500 mg. per day.

The diet profile that MFP gave me is 50% carbs, 40% fat and 30% protein, and I've followed that for 16 months. I am rarely below 150 carbs per day, and almost always well over. I can't digest most vegetables, so eat few, and really don't eat much fruit due to those same digestive problems, so my carbs are coming mostly from dairy, including ice cream, and bread/cereal. I'm always over my sugar. I'm 60 and have stuck to 1200 calories since I started MFP, and am not starving or hangry or anything like that. I get hungry basically when it's time for regular mealtimes, and that's it.

I don't post repeatedly on the forums that these improvements are a "miracle diet" and can only be achieved by CICO, but I see plenty of people doing low-carb saying their way is not only the only way these things can be achieved, but that it is superior and has better results than those who count calories, and that's why I think you see pushback - not hate - from others in low-carb threads.

Cosign. Lost about the same, no longer pre diabetic or hypertensive and my triglycerides are a fraction of what they used to be, all eating a "wherever they may fall" amount of carbs (which usually ends up on the higher end).
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    snerggly wrote: »
    You know, I was about to leap on here judging but your last sentence "it's the only thing that works for me" got me in the feels. I hate this expression but "at the end of the day" that's all that matters my friend. You take good care of you and ignore we haters ;). Do what makes you happy and what feels good to you. Right?

I had to give up dairy and meat. Heart disease is very real to me. I am at the age where my Cardiologist told me that I would have to have open heart surgery to repair a heart valve. I was a competitive runner until my mid-30's. You can't out exercise heart disease unfortunately. I read Dr. Esselstyn's book on how to over come heart disease and also Dr. John McDougall's stuff on how eating a high carb (plant carb) diet can heal the body and I was sold.

I wish you all the best ;), everyone's journey is personal and different. Who are we to judge?

I have a heart valve defect and was never told to avoid meat and dairy. did they tell you why? as for having OHS for the valve repair. for some its not needed. I was told the only way I would need the valve fixed or replaced was if I went into cardiac arrest,they said most people have no issues caused from it. it can mimic asthma symptoms I did learn though.some diets cannot cure or heal certain health issues.

I was told to cut carbs to lower my cholesterol. Avoiding dairy and fat isn't necessarily helpful for cholesterol either.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

i know many people who dont over eat and are still "fat". just saying

Unless they have a medical condition, they are eating more calories than they need. Do you see what they eat for every meal? I can eat my daily caloric allowance in one meal.

Even if they have a medical condition, if they're fat, they were eating more than their body needed to maintain their weight.

No Exceptions.
    Physical laws reign supreme over all other sciences apart from pure mathematics.

purity.png

I took biology, chemistry, physics, and math.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Is it bad? No. If the person can sustain eating that way consistently for their life, then they should do it. If not, then for many it's just a fad diet. The biggest issue I hear from low carbers it that they CAN'T moderate carbs, so they do low carb. Understandable, but it's not the carbs that are the issue. It's the mentality of not being able to moderate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for validation for your diet then you're going to be rather frustrated no matter what diet you're on. If low carb works for you then go with it. Like any diet that works for any individual, it works because it creates a calorie deficit for that individual. We all have different habits and food cravings so what works for one may or may not work for another.

My advice? Stop talking about your diet with anyone who isn't following that diet. That is not to say to stop researching it or discussing it online, but I'd definitely stop taking about it with friends and family. Most people are FoS when it comes to this sort of thing.
  • kimirayray
    kimirayray Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I listened to my doctor when she said - cut back on your fat and carbs. I had high triglycerides and a mild fatty liver reading. I did this for a month and lost 10 pounds and blood work came back normal. I am keeping up with it as I need to lose 30 pounds. I have 50 to 75 carbs per day and about 20 grams of fat. I don't feel deprived at all. I have occasional days where I eat a little more, but am consistently losing weight slowly. Now to start exercising!
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    LaceyBirds wrote: »
    The diet profile that MFP gave me is 50% carbs, 40% fat and 30% protein . . .
    I wrote this before I had my coffee - that should be 50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein.

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    My advice? Stop talking about your diet with anyone who isn't following that diet. That is not to say to stop researching it or discussing it online, but I'd definitely stop taking about it with friends and family. Most people are FoS when it comes to this sort of thing.

The OP and others coming across this thread should be aware there are low carb groups here where they can get support and info from others following it without getting arguments and absolutist statements from naysayers. Click on Groups up in the second line of the top menu to find them.