Homeopathic nutritionist?

Options
My family has recently made some major dietary changes & wanted to consult a nutritionist to ensure that our choices were suitable for our 4 year old son. We are new to the area that we live in & found what we believed was a nutritionist online.

The appointment was today & it was very interesting to say the least.

I knew something was off while I was filling out the new patient paperwork. One of the questions was "are you missing the last 1/3 of your eyebrow?" Huh?? Although this was strange I've never been to a nutritionist & didn't want to make any assumptions.

My son & I are taken into a tiny room where a woman rolls a scanner up & down his spine. She says that the machine is taking pictures of his spine to see if one side of his body is more "stressed" than the other. Pictures, what?

Then we meet the "nutritionist". She tells me that she doesn't agree with the changes that we've made. She wanted to make sure that we wouldn't be difficult patients because of her stance on things. I told her that I never wanted to be the type of mom to go doctor hopping because I didn't hear what I was expecting.

So now that she's gotten it down that I'm in her office for health & not whatever else she assumed, she pulls out this strange machine. My son holds what looks like a gold pen wrapped in a paper towel while she holds what seems to be a pen without a tip. She then rubs the pen up & down my kids big toe 250 times or so.

Once she's done she gets really close to me & tells me that my son is:
Gluten intolerant
Has issues with:
Amino acids
Brain chemistry
Prostate
Testes
Pancreas
Pineal gland
Calcium deficiency
& these are the most important on a list about the size of my torso.

The machine she used is called an EAV & only after I asked about the machine did she say that she was a homeopathic doctor. I was clearly confused & asked if she was a nutritionist also & she replies "I only prescribe herbs."

WHAT?!

I continue to ask her questions like "how accurate is this machine?" "How do these results compare to a scratch or blood tests?" "Why haven't you asked us anything about our diet?" "How can you make any conclusions when you don't even know my son's height or weight?"

I'm going to make an appointment with another nutritionist however, homeopathy? What're your thoughts? Can I trust this lady & her magical machine?

She also claimed that my son has irregularities in his reproductive organs because of all of the soy that he eats. The kid has never touched soy in his life, won't go near the stuff. This conclusion left me even more puzzled.

Replies

• Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're a scammers dream come true... :p
    Seriously, just try to eat more whole, nutritious foods and stop worrying about making something simple seem complicated.
  • Orphanogenesis
    Orphanogenesis Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    MABMomma wrote: »
    Listen. Google tricked me! I'm new to my area & I've never been to a dietitian or a nutritionist or a total wack job.

I also wasn't aware of what I had gotten myself into until the weird toe scan started. I'm just a concerned parent that got steered in the wrong direction.

I'm not judging, live and learn as they say.

Nutritionists tend to have their own set of rules and have arbitrary guidelines they can (and often) make up on the spot.

As mentioned find a reputable dietician.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of Linda Hazzard...

The problem is with these quacks, is that they don't rely on making every patient a good "customer". They rely on the small percent of people who will get sucked into the blab, and by the time they have realized it's a scam, they have bought $$$$ worth of "magical products/herbs"

Keep looking, but your son should be fine. If he isn't losing weight and is still active, happy and healthy, it shouldn't be an issue. If the changes to your diet are increasing intake of vegetables, and fruit and making generally "more healthy" choices, there shouldn't be much to worry about.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Brand new rules just put in place by the Federal Trade Commission:

"Over the counter homeopathic remedies sold in the US will now have to come with a warning that they are based on outdated theories ‘not accepted by most modern medical experts’ and that ‘there is no scientific evidence the product works’."

https://scientificamerican.com/article/homeopathic-medicine-labels-now-must-state-products-do-not-work/?WT.mc_id=SA_FB_HLTH_NEWS

This does not sound accurate. The label changes made recently pertain only to how remedy vials are sealed. I am forwarding the article to someone I know that operates in that arena for their verification. There are a number of things that are very inaccurate coming out of Australia of late that many are taking to apply to the US. I'll see what I can find out about this.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Ugh.

I will say this much... the eyebrow thing? I can happen to people with thyroid issues. I've lost a lot of mine thanks to them.

Other than that? Sorry you had to go through all that. Just run.