8/3 - rest day
    8/4 - 6 miles
    8/5 - 6 miles
    8/6 - rest day - went to a race with Skip
    8/7 - 10 miles
    8/8 - unscheduled rest day
    8/9 - 6 miles
    8/10 - 6 miles
    8/11 - 6 miles in and out of the misty rain - so nice!
    8/12 - 3 miles
    8/13 - rest day
    8/14 - 10 miles
    8/15 - rest day Skip had an early dentist appt
    8/16 - 6 miles
    8/17 - 6 miles
    8/18 - 5 miles
    8/19 - rest
    8/20 - 10 miles
    8/21 - 3 miles - recovery run
    8/22 - rest day
    8/23 - 7 miles - beautiful temp this morning - yeah!
    8/24 - 5 miles
    8/25 - 6 miles - the heat is back ha ha - and that is goal

113 out of 110 miles

exercise.png

@elise4270 slow and steady progress back to running :smile:
    @ariceroni glad the knee is feeling better
    @marissaxzxzxz I'm so sorry to hear about the ankle, that is awful
    @kristinegift like everyone else I can't believe they left you behind in the dark woods, that is terrible. I noticed lately that it's definitely getting lighter later. I don't run with a light but I run where they are at least street lights. Awful
    @mbaker566 yeah for running! So happy Rocky was adopted.
    @Respectthekitty great job getting up early. It does get easier.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @kristinegift- How crappy of your group to leave you behind. I would never, ever do that to somebody. I have altered my plans on countless occasions to stay with someone on a group run. That's the point of running with a group. I have learned through the years that if I have an absolute agenda for my run, I do it myself. It's not fair to others running with you to expect them keep up to meet your running needs. Just hearing that they left you in the dark woods really irks me. I can only imagine how you must have felt!

I whole heartily agree. I don't run group runs too often because I like to do my own thing and my mileage typically doesn't fit to most people's idea of fun. However when I do a group run you have to be respectful of the entire group by altering pace, taking an added water stop, etc. Bad form on their part.

Unfortunately I awoke today to torrential rain and nasty thunderstorms at 3:45 this morning. My gym doesn't open until 4:45 and that just didn't give me enough time squeeze my 14 mile run in this morning before dad duty getting kids off to school. With most likely 80+ degree evening temps with certain high humidity from all the rain i'll most like be doing my NASCAR run on the indoor track tonight. Lets see, 14 miles at 6 laps per mile equals 84 mind numbing laps.

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    5512bf wrote: »

Unfortunately I awoke today to torrential rain and nasty thunderstorms at 3:45 this morning. My gym doesn't open until 4:45 and that just didn't give me enough time squeeze my 14 mile run in this morning before dad duty getting kids off to school. With most likely 80+ degree evening temps with certain high humidity from all the rain i'll most like be doing my NASCAR run on the indoor track tonight. Lets see, 14 miles at 6 laps per mile equals 84 mind numbing laps.

ha ha!!!

@somebody_loved great pictures, - congrats on finishing the race!!!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift- How crappy of your group to leave you behind. I would never, ever do that to somebody. I have altered my plans on countless occasions to stay with someone on a group run. That's the point of running with a group. I have learned through the years that if I have an absolute agenda for my run, I do it myself. It's not fair to others running with you to expect them keep up to meet your running needs. Just hearing that they left you in the dark woods really irks me. I can only imagine how you must have felt!

I whole heartily agree. I don't run group runs too often because I like to do my own thing and my mileage typically doesn't fit to most people's idea of fun. However when I do a group run you have to be respectful of the entire group by altering pace, taking an added water stop, etc. Bad form on their part.

NASCAR run...love it!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    8/1 - Intended to run 4, but oversleeping and a thunderstorm kept it from happening :-(
    8/2 - Bodypump class, followed by Abs/Core class. I may be too uncoordinated for this ab stuff...I feel like a bull in a china shop for sure.
    8/3 - 4.11 miles. Cool but foggy/sticky. Felt like running through a shower.
    8/4 - 5 miles on treadmill (Trek class). The Y was so humid, kinda felt like I was outside anyway.
    8/5 - Bodypump class.
    8/6 - 6.33 miles with HM training group.
    8/7 - Rest Day.
    8/8 - 4.25 miles. Felt good!
    8/9 - Unplanned rest day. Some annoying back pain kept me awake all night, so I "overslept" without actually getting any sleep.
    8/10 - 4.3 miles in 75°, 90% humidity...plus, owl.
    8/11 - 4.95 miles on treadmill (Trek class). Then, some quick upper body weights. Again, humid.
    8/12 - Spin Class...not sure I have ever sweat that much in my life
    8/13 - 6 mile group run with HM training group. Nice pace, cooler temp.
    8/14 - Rest / housework day. Ended day with an unnecessary trip to the ER for my 10 year old. Even Moms that are Pediatric nurses overreact once in a while :smiley:
    8/15 - Slept in due to that ER visit.
    8/16 - Bodypump class, followed by Abs/Core class.
    8/17 - 5.04 miles. Started in a pleasant, light rain...ended in humidity.
    8/18 - 4.27 miles. Weather was OK, but felt like a slog. Just one of those days, I guess
    8/19 - Spin Class, followed by upper body weights.
    8/20 - 6.22 miles. Group run. Light rain at start, pretty cool temperature. Loved it!
    8/21 - Yard work / house work / rest day.
    8/22 - 4.0 miles. Cool, comfortable morning.
    8/23 - Bodypump class, followed by Abs/Core class (still feel clumsy)
    8/24 - Unplanned rest day...woke up with back pain / spasms that got worse as the day went. Yuck!
    8/25 - 5 miles in cool but humid weather. Back feels tender/weak, but no pain. Wonder if I did something wrong in my abs/core class on Tuesday morning.

exercise.png

@ddmom0811 - What is your mileage total for biking this month? You are totally crushing it!
    @skippygirlsmom - Just catching up with last week of comments. Re. your HM time / marathon winners: my primary goal is always to make sure I finish my HM before the elite men's marathoners finish...it keeps me motivated for some reason. Way to crush your goal!
    @lporter229 - love the dog photos!
    @katharmonic - Sorry about the difficult time with your pup.
    @5512bf - Yay, twins! Love the back to school picture, plus the dog photo bomb! Plus, I use the construction porta-potties too...ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
    @orphia - Gorgeous sunrise!
    @mbaker566 - Cute photo with Cigar on your shoulder!
    @MNLittleFinn - I hate those slog runs! But, I remind myself they seem to be the ones that help the most come race time.
    @ariceroni - Glad the knee is feeling better!
    @5512bf - at least it is only 6 laps per mile...at one of the Y's I go to it is 10 and the other is 19!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    So, I might be doing a "short" long run of 7-9 miles this Saturday. Here's the trade off. it'll be on the trails with the wicked elevation from last saturday's mud run, something close to 100ft/mile elevation.

That said, I need to clean out the INSIDE of my trail shoes....I don't care what the outside looks like.....any tips?
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn @Amandajs232 it felt good too. now to keep it up
    Great run @mbaker566 ! Well done!
  • 5512bf
    Options
    @karllundy

We have about 6-7 Y's here locally. 1 has an 6 lap, (2) have 7 lap, the others are anywhere from 9-14 lap and some are only 2 lanes. I can stomach the 6-8 lap tracks but had to do 10 miles once on the 14 lap track and it was brutal. The corners slope and the lanes are really narrow. It was tough to pass walkers because the lanes are barely shoulder width.

The 6 lap track is 3 lanes but they are fairly wide and there are windows along 80% of the track making it feel more open . We can go 4 wide across all 3 lanes if it's really packed. The longest run I've done is a 19 miler once when it was whiteout snowing a few years ago. On anything over 5-6 miles and the choice between track or treadmill, I'll go track every time.
  • 5512bf
    Options
    So, I might be doing a "short" long run of 7-9 miles this Saturday. Here's the trade off. it'll be on the trails with the wicked elevation from last saturday's mud run, something close to 100ft/mile elevation.

That said, I need to clean out the INSIDE of my trail shoes....I don't care what the outside looks like.....any tips?

Hose them out and let them air dry outdoors if possible. Avoid using the dryer as the heat will make the soles separate.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @5512bf - 84 laps! OMG How is that even possible!?
    @karllundy - I never even thought about my biking mileage in the month before but since you asked I added it up and it's 281. I hope to ride Sunday so maybe I will hit 300, but it might rain.
    @Somebody_Loved - Beautiful pictures! Please tell me that was mile .001 when you looked that good during a race!
    @skippygirlsmom - GOAL! WTG!
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    100.79% of goal

01-Aug: 5.11 miles
    02-Aug: 5.38 miles
    03-Aug: 5.57 miles - Daily Double
    04-Aug: 8.41 miles - Daily Double
    05-Aug: 5.69 miles
    06-Aug: 5.08 miles
    07-Aug: <Life Day>
    08-Aug: 5.60 miles
    09-Aug: 7.35 miles - Daily Double
    10-Aug: 3.40 miles
    11-Aug: 6.87 miles
    12-Aug: 7.29 miles - Daily Double
    13-Aug: 8.68 miles
    14-Aug: <Life Day>
    15-Aug: 8.80 miles
    16-Aug: 8.16 miles - Daily Double
    17-Aug: 5.52 miles
    18-Aug: 7.08 miles - Daily Double
    19-Aug: 5.02 miles
    20-Aug: 4.59 miles
    21-Aug: <Life Day>
    22-Aug: 6.16 miles
    23-Aug: 7.82 miles - Daily Double
    24-Aug: 7.95 miles
    25-Aug: 5.57 miles - Daily Double
    26-Aug:
    27-Aug:
    28-Aug: <Life Day>
    29-Aug:
    30-Aug:
    31-Aug:

exercise.png

The rest of the miles for August are gravy (and donated to @Elise4270 and others? was that this month or last?). At least the mornings are more reasonable (for the rest of this week) in the low 70's, so I might decide to push a little harder, so I'm a little more prepped for my big 10K on Labor Day.

Upcoming Races:
    05-Sep: Labor Day Road Race 10K
    10-Sep: Glazin' a Trail Donut Run 5K, Centerville
    17-Sep: Race for Education 5K, Warner Robins
    24-Sep: Georgia Golden Olympics 5K
    01-Oct: Terry's Run 5K, Eastman
    22-Oct: S.C.A.R.E. 5K, Macon
    05-Nov: Ridge Run 5K, Macon
    12-Nov: FUMC 5K, Warner Robins
    25-Mar: Cherry Blossom Road Race 10K, Macon
    08-Apr: Running for Ronald 10K/15K, Macon
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    My "plan" called for a 45 minute tempo run today. I followed the 45 minute suggestion, but scrapped the tempo part for various reasons--it's hot, humid and sunny; plus TOM makes anything high intensity super sucky right now. Only managed a whopping 3.5 miles in 45 minutes. But, hey, at least I got out there and did it.

34.5 of 40 mile goal completed.

P.S. Dear Oklahoma, Please figure out how to make wind blow the opposite direction so that the breeze is to my face on the second half of my run. (I know, I know, just run the other way, right? But the other way leads all the way through downtown and then into a not-so-safe part of town. Current route has few roads to cross and leads directly out of downtown and onto the running trails)
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 Great job on that goal!

@Somebody_Loved Both your pics are great! I love the brightly colored houses and also a very flattering race pic.

@5512bf Next time, I'd love to see you bring a steering wheel with you for that Nascar run! And make sound effects too! But don't blame me if you get kicked out :-p

@ceciliaslater I'm convinced the wind hates us all :-D It never seems to cooperate for me.

I'm really hoping the rain holds off tomorrow so I can get back to my favorite concrete/gravel trail and do the 10k section. I'd probably walk 1.5, run 3-4, then walk the rest to finish. I don't want to rush into running more than 3-4 miles just yet. This month is going to be my lowest running mileage so far this year, but I'm looking forward to making progress again in September.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 Last month we did the donation miles.

1--- travel doc appointment
    2---30 minutes pool swim/running!, 1 mile walk
    3--- 0.5 mile walk
    4---30 minutes pool swim/ water jogging
    6---0.7 mile walk
    7---0.7 mile walk
    8---20 minute swim/weights
    9---35 minute swim
    11--- weights
    12--- 40 minute swim, 1 mile walk
    13---2.1 mile poké walk
    14---0.9 mile walk
    16---38 minute swim/ 1.6 mile walk
    17---1 mile walk
    18---2 mile walk/weights
    19---50 minute swim
    22---1.6 mile walk/weights
    23---35 minute swim
    24---1.3 mile walk
    25---30 minute swim

Not advisable races:

10/02/16 Spirit of Survival Lawton OK Quarter Marathon.
    11/05/16 Jenks Half Jenks OK
    12/11/16 BMW Dallas Marathon, Half
    Run the year 2016  898.42/ 2016

Advisable races:

March 19th 2017 RNR Half Dallas, TX
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
    April 30th 2017 OKC Memorial Marathon, Half.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options

I only do group runs if I have something like an easy run and I won't care about pace. Long run is my favorite thing to do in groups because it's long enough to get boring alone. Otherwise, if I have a session I will go with them and do my warm-up for 2-3 miles then just go on my own. Everyone understands

Date.....Distance..Type/min/km

August 1 - 6.6 km - V.Easy/7:00
    August 2 - 7.4 km - Reps/4:00
    August 3 - 7.6 km - V.Easy/6:50
    August 4 - 6.4 km - Easy/6:15
    August 5 - 12+4km - Tempo&Reps and Easy/4:50
    August 6 - 5.0 km - Easy/6:05
    August 7 - 10.4km - Long(ish)Run/6:17
    August 8 - 3.6 km - Easy/6:00
    August 9 - 6.0 km - Easy/6:07
    August 10- 10.2km - Speedwork/4:20
    August 11- 6.0 km - Tempo/4:45
    August 12- 8.0 km - Easy/5:55
    August 13- 9.4 km - Easy/6:30
    August 14- 12.8km - Long run/6:00
    August 15- Rest
    August 16- 11.0km - Time trial/3:59
    August 17- 8.0 km - Easy/5:50
    August 18- 8.0 km - Easy/5:50
    August 19- 11.8km - Tempo/4:20
    August 20- 7.0 km - V.Easy/6:30
    August 21- 19.0km - Long Run/6:20
    August 22- rest
    August 23- 8.0 km - Easy/6:10
    August 24- 12.2km - Speedwork/3:55
    August 25- 12.4km - Tempo&Reps/4:20

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
    22/07: Bucharest After9Cross 9.5k 49:03
    28/08: Fox Trail Half Marathon (10k)
    18/09: Baneasa Trail Run (10k)
    25/09: Black Sea 10k
    09/10: Bucharest International Marathon (Half Debut)

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @5512bf I did just what you said. Thanks. Here's hoping Saturdays run will be as epic as I hope it will be. Going to try to bring my phone doesn't pictures
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,396 Member
    Options
    @jringer1 - Welcome to our group of crazy runners!
    @skippygirlsmom - Congrats on making goal already!
    @Marissaxzxzxz - I am so sorry about your ankle, it sounds so painful and frustrating! I am glad it isn't broken and that you didn't hurt your knee too!
    @Somebody_Loved - wow that is gorgeous! looks like it was a great race in a beautiful location!
    @kristinegift - I am pretty sure I would find a different running group. I can't believe they would leave you behind and not even wait to make sure you didn't fall or have some other issue!
    @5512bf - I can't imagine running laps at all let alone that many... nope I just wouldn't... a treadmill, which I hate, would be better!
    @RespectTheKitty - It does take a while for getting up early to run to feel 'normal' if not easy. You could try having something like ShotBloks or something similar, that have caffeine in them? Tea (not herbal) could be another option if you like it and just need a little caffeine kick to get going.
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 - nice job on the 5K PR!
    @MNLittleFinn - you can rinse (or hose) out your running shoes, then shake out as much moisture as possible and stuff them with newspaper and set them out to dry. The newspaper helps to absorb the moisture and pull it out of the shoe material.

I have had a couple of good days of running despite having a head cold. Yesterday I had time to get in a longer tempo run and today I ran intervals. I managed to get my HR up to the low 140s and was interesting to see afterwards that I really couldn't continue with it at that rate for long - maybe 30-45 seconds. I also got my pace to under 8:30 which is amazing to me! I am hoping to add in a bit more interval and speed training before my next race. Between this run, strength training and Rally class tonight I think I will sleep well. I am going to take a rest day tomorrow before my long run on Saturday, even though it is supposed to be even cooler tomorrow. We have the marine layer back so it hasn't been too hot but that also means the humidity is up. The good news is it is supposed to really cool down over the weekend before it gets hot again next week. I am really looking forward to a cool long run on Saturday!

Date.........Miles........Total
    08/01.......0.00.........0.00 - + Agility
    08/02.......5.24.........5.24 - + Strength training
    08/03.......0.00.........5.24
    08/04.......5.01.......10.25 - + Strength training and Rally
    08/05.......4.25.......14.50
    08/06.......7.09.......21.59
    08/07.......0.00.......21.59
    08/08.......4.21.......25.80 - + Agility
    08/09.......7.40.......33.20 - + Strength training + treadmill run of 3.2 miles
    08/10.......0.00.......33.20
    08/11.......5.12.......38.32 - + Strength training and Rally
    08/12.......4.25.......42.57
    08/13.......9.39.......51.96
    08/14.......2.00.......53.96 - Dog Beach run
    08/15.......5.74.......59.70 - + Agility
    08/16.......0.00.......59.70 - + Strength training
    08/17.......5.40.......65.10
    08/18.......5.48.......70.58 - + Strength training and Rally
    08/19.......0.00.......70.58
    08/20.......6.14.......76.72
    08/21.......6.53.......83.25 - Tiki Beach 10K
    08/22.......0.00.......83.25
    08/23.......5.07.......88.32 - + Strength training
    08/24.......7.23.......95.55
    08/25.......5.30.....100.85 - + Strength training and Rally

exercise.png

Upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    07/04/16 - SHEPower Virtual Half Marathon
    07/31/16 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon
    08/21/16 - Tiki Beach 10k, Huntington Beach

09/18/16 - Beat the Blerch Half Marathon, Seattle
    11/19/16 - USA Invitational Half Marathon (Yay, I qualified again!)
    12/18/16 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    August

2Aug - 7m
    4Aug - 8m
    6Aug - 5m
    7Aug - 6.4m
    9Aug - 4.8m
    11Aug - 7m